trailer lighting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailer lighting issue

I have an old stock trailer that I just replaced all the wiring from the plug to the lights. This is a 4 prong plug and there are only 2 lights on the back end. I ran the wires and checked that they were working correctly at the back end before I attached the lights. The lights I bought were LED 3 wire lights. They have one wire for the tail light, one for the stop/turn, and one for the ground. The ground one had a little crimped on loop in the end of the wire so I could just screw it into the trailer, but I didn't. I connected it to the ground wire coming from the 4 prong plug. The others I connected to their correct wires.

Now for the problem.

When I have my lights on, the blinker/brake light does not work. If I turn off my lights the blinker/tail light does work. The lights won't let me have both a tail light and a blinker/stop light.

I looked it up on the internet and one thing it said is possibly not enough grounding. I connected it directly to the ground wire from the plug. Is that enough? Should I have screwed it into the frame?

Could I just have faulty lights? Both of them act the exact same way.

Attach to frame. Most trailer light problems are bad grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by NSpannTX View Post
      Attach to frame. Most trailer light problems are bad grounds.
      X2 My favorite saying ,"Don't take nothing for Grounded"

Comment

yep, gound

Comment

grounding to the truck should be better than grounding to the frame. Something is wrong with your truck ground so ground it to the frame.

Comment

Should I unhook it from the truck ground and then ground it to the trailer or ground it to both?

Comment

Ground to the trailer and try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a good ground.

Comment

I had to take my grinder and grind a bare spot where I mounted my ground wires. Then I sprayed over it with Rustoleum paint. All is good now. I knew it had to be a ground issue and tried several things before this and this fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    Should I unhook it from the truck ground and then ground it to the trailer or ground it to both?
                    both

Comment

Working...
                    X