Bucks for wife or kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucks for wife or kids?

I arrowed my target buck on 10/8 so now my goal is to get my wife and/or son their first buck. This will be my first youth weekend with my 12 year old son deer hunting. I have 2 bucks that have been pretty regular in my area. They aren't as mature as I would like them to be but for my son or wife's first buck, they would be great deer for our little 160 acres. I would love to see them live a couple more years but would have a hard time telling them they couldn't shoot one of them.

The first one I've been calling "Too Tall". I have no history with him. How old does he look to you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191021-145647_Gmail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	25194063

Name:	Screenshot_20191021-145626_Gmail.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	25194064

The second is a 3.5 year old with great brows but I'm afraid he might only be 12.5" or so. What do you think?

Name:	Screenshot_20191021-145557_Gmail.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	25194065

Name:	Screenshot_20191021-145531_Gmail.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	25194066

Name:	Screenshot_20191021-145505_Gmail.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	25194067

Deer

If it's their 1st deer don't worry about age! Life's about memories, not buck score

Good luck

Comment

Let them both live. Too young. Pick a doe or spike

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
        If it's their 1st deer don't worry about age! Life's about memories, not buck score

Good luck
        Yes

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Let them both live. Too young. Pick a doe or spike
        No

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post

Good luck
          Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Yes

No
          Do y'all think that second one with the big brows is legal though. I've looked at lots of pics of him and I'm on the fence. I sure don't want their first buck to fall 1/4" short.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Yes

No
            Agreed

Pizz on restrictions when it comes to someone getting their first

Comment

I’m in general agreement with “yes and no” above, but if you think the second won’t make AR, I’d hold off. An illegal buck DOES NOT need to be a first experience for either of them. Good luck !

Comment

If it's their first deer... let them choose. If they want to take the deer then let them take it (if they are legal). If your lease has no rules of course.

I will be taking my fiance on her first trip opening weekend. First legal deer she wants its fair game for her. It's all about you getting them hooked!

Comment

If they are legal, let them put the hammer down on one. Memories are a lifetime!

Comment

First buck and legal buck. I say if they meet that let’er rip tator chip.

Comment

I hate to speculate on legal or not...especially on deer in a part of the state I've never hunted. I would measure the width of that protein head, and go from there.

You'll know when you see him. If you have to talk yourself into it....probly wait.

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate to let them kill those deer providing they are legal.

That being said I think the 13” rule should go out the window when it comes to a first deer for a kid. I know it’s impossible to enforce but it’s how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^. I agree with mayhem. If anything let youth kill any buck. Kids will get tired of going if they can’t shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            I wouldn’t hesitate to let them kill those deer providing they are legal.

That being said I think the 13” rule should go out the window when it comes to a first deer for a kid. I know it’s impossible to enforce but it’s how I feel.

I’ve thought and talked about this with people. Make it to where the “first hunting license sold is associated with your SSN. And if you don’t tag a deer that year you can turn it back in to the GW office. If you do you can renew it for the next season.”

It would be a lot of work on TPWD but all licenses have a number already. So it wouldn’t be too hard to keep track of.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                              I’ve thought and talked about this with people. Make it to where the “first hunting license sold is associated with your SSN. And if you don’t tag a deer that year you can turn it back in to the GW office. If you do you can renew it for the next season.”

It would be a lot of work on TPWD but all licenses have a number already. So it wouldn’t be too hard to keep track of.

I like hunting mature deer but I agree with this line of thought when it comes to kids and their first deer as others have said.

Comment

Working...
                              X