Nikon D3100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon D3100?

I was just given this camera with two lenses. A 18-55 and 55-200. A quick Google search shows this is an older entry level SLR camera. Does anyone have any Youtube instructional series they can recommend for a complete novice. I dont take many pictures with my iPhone and dont even know the basics. Do I just use the USB cord and drag and drop the photos or is there specialized software? Thanks

That is one of the easiest cameras to use with tons of preset settings and it takes great pics. I still have one and have kept it because it is so lightweight. I use a card reader to move pics to my PC. There are a ton of reference articles on the www.

Bedded black buck by Chad Crawford, on Flickr

Bruiser Black Buck by Chad Crawford, on Flickr
    Last edited by Chad C; 10-17-2019, 06:33 AM.

Comment

This should have some good info for ya

I'm not familiar with the D3100 but I do shoot with a Nikon, can't imagine yours is that different than my D750 as far as controls.

Best piece of advice I can give is to learn the basics of digital photography, the exposure triangle and all that fun stuff and learn how to get to full manual control ASAP. It seems overwhelming at first but once it all clicks it ain't that bad.

I also really recommend shooting in RAW format vs JPEG and using software like Lightroom or CaptureOne to "develop" your pictures, that's all part of the fun for me and you can be so much more versatile shooting RAW over JPEG.

And buy this lens next, you will thank me :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        This should have some good info for ya

I'm not familiar with the D3100 but I do shoot with a Nikon, can't imagine yours is that different than my D750 as far as controls.

Best piece of advice I can give is to learn the basics of digital photography, the exposure triangle and all that fun stuff and learn how to get to full manual control ASAP. It seems overwhelming at first but once it all clicks it ain't that bad.

I also really recommend shooting in RAW format vs JPEG and using software like Lightroom or CaptureOne to "develop" your pictures, that's all part of the fun for me and you can be so much more versatile shooting RAW over JPEG.

And buy this lens next, you will thank me :-D

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NI...tronics&sr=1-3
        Do I need any of the accessories with that lens or just the lens itself? I am not sure what I have in this camera bag.

Comment

I have had a D3100 for several years. It will do just about anything you want. Great video capability also. I added a 70-200 2.8 lens and it does great. Go to Kenrockwell.com. He will give you great advice on that camera.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I read the manual and this is pretty complicated. Should I be using all of these settings? It has an auto feature but are yall dialing these things in manually?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                I read the manual and this is pretty complicated. Should I be using all of these settings? It has an auto feature but are yall dialing these things in manually?
                If you want to be the one controlling how to picture turns out instead of the camera then yes. There's really only 3 main things that control the most important aspects of the shot- Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO.

You can safely run Auto ISO in most lighting conditions and be good to go so figuring out Shutter and Aperture are the most important ones.

It does seem really overwhelming at first but once it clicks it gets pretty easy.

All your camera AUTO mode cares about is making the exposure meter to be "correct" right in the middle and it'll take a big ol dook on every idea you have for the shot in order to get there. lol

Comment

Thank you. I have been watching videos and reading some beginner camera sights also.

Comment

Awesome! Tons of good stuff on the interwebs. Once it clicks you'll know it and be able to operate just about any camera out there.

Comment

I am about a quarter way through this book. Heading to Big Bend later in the month. Should be some good subject matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I look forward to the pixels, shoot like crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I was checking out on of my lens and it has a Polaroid Circular PL filter on it. I did some googling and it is supposed to change colors slightly. Do I leave this on or take it off for a newbie?

Comment

I'd take it off, polarizers are for specific applications and will effect your photos.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X