Lost a good one! [emoji3525]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a good one! [emoji3525]

25yd shot on a mid-high 120’s Hill Country 8....(my best bow buck) the deer was perfectly broadside and I pulled the shot a few inches right and just a hair low and it sounded like it hit concrete! The deer ran about 50yds and turned and looked back my way and I then realized I had gotten very little penetration at all. He took off holding that front shoulder up high and left very little blood. Followed what he had left for blood about 100yds and then swept the entire area out to about 400yds with no more blood and no signs of the arrow. I had hoped to possibly have gone through enough and caught heart but it didn’t appear so. My arrow fully rigged comes in right at 400gr and I’m shooting a 100gr Magnus Stinger Buzzcut out of a 65lb Mathews Z7......what says the GS on possible outcomes here??? I’m torn up about it and would give anything to have that arrow back!

(Here’s a random deer pic and a black spot of where exactly I think I hit him)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably stuck in the shoulder/leg bone

Comment

I think you hit him in the shoulder bone and he should live

Comment

I hate that for you, been there. Probably hit the shoulder bone right where the ridge is and didnt penetrate. I shot a cull 6pt a few yrs ago and the same thing happened. Barely penetrated at all. He disappeared for a while but showed back up near the end of season and I shot him with a rifle. Skinned him and could see the healed slice from the broadhead on the underside of the skin, right where the shoulder bone ridge is. 1/4" right or left would have gone through....just bad luck....

Comment

sorry to hear that.... any chance of getting a dog out there?

Comment

Sorry for the bad luck. Shoulder blade hit. If it doesn't get infected, he will survive. I did the same thing a few years ago and the buck stayed away for 2 months. Saw him on camera (at night only) for the next two years.

Good luck in the future.

Comment

Not a shoulder blade hit. That's way too low to hit the shoulder blade. Likely you centered the big femur like bone in the middle section of the leg. Nothing wrong with your set up. The Magnus Stingers are good heads, but not designed to break/cut through large bones like that. Not likely any other similar head, especially mehanicals would have yielded any different outcome... Just hit too much of the bone. Even if you'd have hit a bit to one side of the bone, that Stinger likely would have veered off and still stuck him good. You just centerpunched the second biggest and heaviest bone in his body.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Not a shoulder blade hit. That's way too low to hit the shoulder blade. Likely you centered the big femur like bone in the middle section of the leg. Nothing wrong with your set up. The Magnus Stingers are good heads, but not designed to break/cut through large bones like that. Not likely any other similar head, especially mehanicals would have yielded any different outcome... Just hit too much of the bone. Even if you'd have hit a bit to one side of the bone, that Stinger likely would have veered off and still stuck him good. You just centerpunched the second biggest and heaviest bone in his body.
                Slick you know I love you man but have you ever watched any Ashby videos?

OP sorry

I like heavy arrows and lots of FOC for this very reason. I'm not saying your setup is bad. I used to run 420 grains. 7 grains per lb draw weight.

Expected a pass through and didn't get it. Hit Rib maybe with a mechanical. I wasn't happy. I switched to Magnus Stingers and 550 grain arrows. I'm want to get to 650 grain. To do that I need to switch to a 200 spine shaft. I currently have 340's but they ain't grouping like they used too since I started adding weight up front.

Again sorry you wasn't able to get the deer. Hopefully he'll come back and give another shot!

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Ug...hate that for ya...maybe get a dog out there if you believe him to be down...I was in your shoes last friday...sick feeling for sure. Hang in there!!!

Comment

Sounds like shoulder to me too. He'll probably be back.

Comment

He will be chasing the girls in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                        Slick you know I love you man but have you ever watched any Ashby videos?

OP sorry

I like heavy arrows and lots of FOC for this very reason. I'm not saying your setup is bad. I used to run 420 grains. 7 grains per lb draw weight.

Expected a pass through and didn't get it. Hit Rib maybe with a mechanical. I wasn't happy. I switched to Magnus Stingers and 550 grain arrows. I'm want to get to 650 grain. To do that I need to switch to a 200 spine shaft. I currently have 340's but they ain't grouping like they used too since I started adding weight up front.

Again sorry you wasn't able to get the deer. Hopefully he'll come back and give another shot!

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                        Bro, I don't disagree one bit with you. Though there's nothing wrong with his set up. I also like heavy arras... Until Magnus sold their Snuffer product line, I shot those big honkin' 150 grain snuffers or the 150 gr. Wensel Woodsman heads on Gold Tip Big Game 100's. 650 gr. arra. A Wensel woodsman shot out of his bow with a properly spined arra would likely have done better or even a 125 gr. snuffer... It's cut on contact, but it also has a very strong triangle shaped tip that will break bones. 1/4 or 1/2 inch either way on his shot with his set up and he'd have had a dedd deer likely too.

Comment

It just makes you question so many things!

1. I hate to wound an animal. Terrible feeling....

2. All of that hard work and preparation to finally get my target deer to do it exactly right and I botch the shot!

It has me even thinking about going over to the dark side and buying a crossbow to possibly lessen the chance of a less than perfect shot! [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you hit him there then you hit the joint of the upper leg/shoulder bone.. Probably the hardest spot on a deer besides the hip joint.

Comment

Sounds like a high shoulder shot should live good luck getting back on him

Comment

Working...
                              X