Aborted road rage incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    Road rage is a sum *****, trust me I know as I have a broken back, foot, and clavicle as a result of an instance exactly as you described. I’m glad everything worked out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any chance you slammed into a concrete median wall just coming into Denton some years ago? The injuries sound exactly like what happened to the guy that attempted, but failed to pass me on the left, while I’m in the left lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      Any chance you slammed into a concrete median wall just coming into Denton some years ago? The injuries sound exactly like what happened to the guy that attempted, but failed to pass me on the left, while I’m in the left lane.
      No read six post down.

Comment

I truly can’t believe some of the responses from some folks on here. Jesus.....this is a Texas based hunting forum. I’d expect a lil more, for lack of a better term, “balls” from people on here. I guess TrailDust, Double Bogey, and myself are truly the minority these days. I guess some of you will have to let the bad guy shoot you once or twice before you let go of the fear of “getting in trouble” for defending yourself. I honestly don’t see how some folks even have the nerve to back out of their own driveway in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
          What sandwich did you order?

The Gunslinger Deluxe.

I'm not one to tell anyone how to handle their business, but I can speak for myself. I'm not wasting my time trying to Chuck Norris anybody. I have family, responsibilities, and I like being healthy and alive. There is always someone out there who doesn't give a ****, who doesn't mind making a dip**** decision that can affect many lives. I'd rather take that out of the equation. I'm not letting some crazy, tightly wound jackhole run on his script. People fancy themselves a bad arse, but there is always a bigger one out there with a lot less to lose. Just my opinion and only speaking as to my views. Everyone is different.
          Last edited by Graysonhogs; 10-17-2019, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I truly can’t believe some of the responses from some folks on here. Jesus.....this is a Texas based hunting forum. I’d expect a lil more, for lack of a better term, “balls” from people on here. I guess TrailDust, Double Bogey, and myself are truly the minority these days. I guess some of you will have to let the bad guy shoot you once or twice before you let go of the fear of “getting in trouble” for defending yourself. I honestly don’t see how some folks even have the nerve to back out of their own driveway in the morning.
            It doesn't take balls to apply sound judgment.

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
            According to that one should never stand up for oneself or defend ones self due to what if. No thank you, i will live my life as a free man. When you make the decision to carry a firearm, you make the decision to protect your self and your family.
            I don't think anyone has said to coward down. No one has implied anything that takes away any freedoms from anybody. You are free to make as many bad decisions as the next guy. Lord knows we've all made our fair share of bad decisions.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

No not me....

Comment

I can’t even fathom how someone can actually want to fight over road rage. The entirety of it just boggles my mind. Fighting or causing physical harm to someone just is NEVER present. Some people need to calm down.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                  Yes, what did i do wrong? What would the difference have been if i open carried all the time?
                  I must say, if it happens tomorrow, i would most likely do the same thing. But you cannot really say what you may do. Any one encounter will most likely be different from another.
                  i am going to the rifle range tomorrow, so i wont be carrying, but will have one in the console.

I probably would have done something different if any of the gandkids would have been in the car. My wife wanted to call the police, but i said not to, as i didn't think it would escalate, as i felt he would get the message, and they wouldn't get there in time to do anything. If it escalated they would come anyway, but there is something to be said about being the one to call.

I appreciate all of the replies, that was what i was hoping for, lots of discussion on this subject. That is what is so great about this forum.

You saying things like “I figured he would get the message...” sure sounds like intimidation to me. Why would you need to send him a message if you were trying to walk away and de-escalate the situation. What if he didn’t “get the message” you were trying to send and instead saw your gesture as a sign of intimidation and aggression and pulled on you? Would you have thought your choice to “send a message” was the right thing to do then? You just put you and your wife’s life in danger unnecessarily at that point. My opinion is never show my cards to “send any sort of message”. Your words tend to prove more of my point that people that open carry/show they are carrying already have an axe to grind and have some sort of inferiority complex they are dealing with.

In Mesquite, TX, in today’s time, I’m glad this situation worked out for you. I know too many time’s there that the opposite has happened!

Last edited by Twipper333; 10-17-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

OP you also just sort of painted yourself into a corner when you said your wife wanted to call the police and you wouldn’t have done what you did had your grandkids been in the car.

If the situation was bad enough to call the police in your wife’s eyes and you admitted that you wouldn’t have done what you did if your grandkids were in the car, sure sounds like you took matters into your own hands because you had to prove that you weren’t going to back down if the DB brought the fight to you.

This is the exact opposite of de-escalating a situation. Just because you de-escalate a situation doesn’t make you a p@$&y, it doesn’t show that you are a coward, it shows that you have more to live for than the other guy and you’re more mature and can live to fight another day.

The more I read of your situation the more I believe you had something to prove to the DB that was raging on you. The whole thing just could have gone horribly wrong in a split second because you chose to “send a message!”

If it were me, I would have chosen to use the heroics at a time when they were actually needed.

Last edited by Twipper333; 10-17-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Everyone gets stressed in their personal lives and tend to take it out on the road. Traffic does that. When I realize how angry I am while driving I know I'm stressed then I ask myself why. By the time I answer that question I am much more calm.

I'm glad this guy pulled over because that few minutes to pause may have saved his own life and kept him from doing something stupid. Maybe he knew that, too.

Comment

After sleeping on this again and thinking about all the what ifs and what I would have done's, maybe I should just stay home where its safe. Wait a minute, in Nov. 2016 I fell in the shower and broke my femur, crap I have been hurt more at home than any other place. Maybe I should just give up.
                        Come on people, the world isn't a safe place to live in. there are all kinds of bad people and plain old bullies out there and I refuse to let any of them make me miserable.
                        I expected some people to disagree with how I handled this, but I am surprised how many on here would "run away". I even expected lots who would run away say they wouldn't.

We can what if this to death, but the bottom line is my approach worked perfectly. Unless you just like to argue, that is the best possible outcome.

It is my belief that the guy freaked out a bit when I followed him in the parking lot, and didn't know what to think when we parked, got out and ignored him. I am willing to bet he was a bit embarrassed. Then again, like I stated before, he may have had an extremely important Phone call to deal with and never even know I was there. He did seem nervous when I pulled in behind him, but it is impossible for us to actually know.
                        In my mind, I believe I did the right thing. My decisions are driven by logic, not emotion (as much as I possibly can), and it drives my wife nuts that I don't let things bother me that totally ramp her up.
                        I am going to the rifle range now, so if I don't respond for a while, I am probably still ok.

Comment

I don't understand how suggesting to deal with a bad situation in a different way shows a lack of testicle fortitude. Is this some kind of penis envy thing?
                          Little Man vs Big Man syndrome?

Really and truly the only thing I have a problem with the way the OP handle it is, coming on here and talking about it.
                          Did he really need to let everyone know that he was a bad Arse yesterday? In doing so he went on record and that can be used again him in a court of law at a later date.

I'm fine with everyone thinking that I'm not a bad arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post

I'm fine with everyone thinking that I'm not a bad arse.

Comment

You did absolutely nothing wrong. I too am shocked by all the “do nothing-run away” mentality on here. It’s not just this thread, but many like it, that show how so many people live in a constant state of fear of “getting in trouble” for absolutely everything.

My thoughts on open carry..... I do not currently open carry. However, I’m probably going to start. In 2 weeks, Constitutional Carry becomes law in Oklahoma. I’ve been carrying concealed since I was 17-18 years old.....yes illegally, at school. All thru college. At all my jobs. In post offices. Court houses. I stopped caring about “printing” probably 10yrs ago. Open carry, on a belt, at 4:30 position is hands down the most comfortable versus any type of concealed carry. Especially appendix carry while driving/traveling. So yeah...after 20+ years of concealed carry, I’m most likely going to join the open carry crowd. My shirt and/or jacket will still partially covering it at times, I’m just not going to have to worry about it anymore. So to the OP......take no criticism for your choice to open carry. Many times just letting the aggressor know/see what they will potentially have to deal with is more than enough to make them just move on and look for another victim......like some of these folks posting on here.

Refusing to let some POS alter your daily life, in any way, doesn’t make someone a bad-arzz. I don’t think I’m a bad-***. That stopped around my second year of college. However, that doesn’t mean I have to put up with/deal with someone else being a moron. Even though most of society doesn’t want you to think so, it’s still ok to stand up for yourself, in any situation you deem it needed.
                              Last edited by Trevor73402; 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Some folks here didn't pay attention in their LTC class and in the unlikely event that they had further firearms training they sure as heck didn't pay attention because a VERY significant portion of that training is that you absolutely should avoid conflict where ever and whenever possible. That is literally the most important part of what is taught.

It's real easy to talk about how you should stand up and be a man avoiding conflict is being a coward on the interwebs, it's a lot tougher to do when you're being passed around in the shower in prison because you had to show what a tough guy you are and teach a bully a lesson (that is very unlikely to change his behavior).

At the end of the day, all action has consequences and if you do have to shoot someone you better have a rock solid explanation of how every single action you did that led up to that event is reasonable and that you weren't looking for trouble in any way or else your life and you family's life is ruined.

If proving to randos on the internet that you aren't a coward is that important to you then that's on you.

Comment

Working...
                                X