No announcement yet.

Bow Draw Weight (Poundage)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously though my bow is at 68 pounds. It has 80 pound limbs on it but I shoot 68 extremely comfortably. I practice slow smooth draws and let downs and shoot a decent amount so I don’t see a reason to go lower.

Comment

I've shot mid 80s its ok but in Real hunting situations ;in climber /small lock on.tight quarters/cold weather with plenty clothes on.Sometimes it was lets say trying...After a season I went back to mid 60s..no complaints and works for me...
      Now my old Bones can't take it any more ..Went to Xbow...its been a fun transition...What have I gained...ability to still hunt, a whole new learning experience,the actual aiming and shooting is easier to master...using a crank to cock is slow but easy..

What I have not seen or experienced...Have not really gained any longer range lets just say at 350fps in Compound or Xbow..Arrow trajectory is about same with similar weight arrows..Kind of like a fast baseball... and the name of the game is Know range .Your ability to elevate and hit SPOT.....I still consider 40y max with either.....Not any easier to TUNE just diff...You still gota be a great tracker..
      sorry not trying to sell Xbows just tell it like it is when them shoulders wear down from too many shots/#...you still have option...

Comment

Bow Draw Weight (Poundage)

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
        82lb. 30” draw
        Held full draw over two minutes with it when I shot my elk.

82# x .20 = 16.4# That’s what you were holding back for 2 minutes!!!!

Unless, of course, you were using an 82# trad bow!!!!!

As for me, the longbow is 50# @ my 29”DL, and the compound is set at 55#.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          82# x .20 = 16.4# That’s what you were holding back for 2 minutes!!!!

Unless, of course, you were using an 82# trad bow!!!!!

As for me, the longbow is 50# @ my 29”DL, and the compound is set at 55#.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You are correct sir. Elite E35 so whatever letoff that is. I didn’t realize answering a simple question was going to start such a stir.

Comment

Originally posted by cgny27 View Post
            curious why anyone would go over 65#'s?

I see Cam Hanes shoots at 80#'s...and wondering if he makes it "cool" to do so.

I've never been very cool.....sadly walking away with my weak bow....

LOL
            To seriously answer your question:

If you hunt areas where shots can exceed 30 yards, then the extra speed and KE of a higher poundage bow helps with trajectory, penetration and lessens the chance of a animal ducking after the shot. 60 yards = 180 feet. An extra 10-20 FPS over 180 feet is HUGE when hunting an animal that can react to the shot.

Cam Hanes hunts all over, especially in the mountains where shots can exceed 50 yards. He also works out more in one day than most on here do in a lifetime, so I'm fairly certain his body is conditioned to shooting 80 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              To seriously answer your question:

If you hunt areas where shots can exceed 30 yards, then the extra speed and KE of a higher poundage bow helps with trajectory, penetration and lessens the chance of a animal ducking after the shot. 60 yards = 180 feet. An extra 10-20 FPS over 180 feet is HUGE when hunting an animal that can react to the shot.

Cam Hanes hunts all over, especially in the mountains where shots can exceed 50 yards. He also works out more in one day than most on here do in a lifetime, so I'm fairly certain his body is conditioned to shooting 80 lbs.

Absolutely...makes total sense and I completely agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been with 60lb bows since 2007

61 lbs maxed out on the new Traverse.

58 on the Elite Pulse.

Comment

I shoot a 533gr arrow out of an 80lb carbon RX-1 ultra. I shot a similar arrow out of my 70lb bow and felt like I was lobbing logs at longer distances.

Comment

I never get why people say those that shoot more poundage than them are trying to be a tough guy, macho or whatever. Lol. I've never read one post where a guy that shoots 70 or 80 says something negative to a guy that says he shoots 45. Anyway, like I answered earlier, 40 lb compound bow is more than enough for a TX whitetail. My wife has proven this plenty of times. Everybody go hunt and stop worrying about others shoot.

Comment

De ja vu.....55lbs

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X