When to enter/exit the stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to enter/exit the stand?

I’ve had 2 evening hunts and 1 morning hunt this season. I would be in the stand by 4:30pm or by 5:00am. I wouldn’t have any action until right at dark then I would be covered up in deer, would you leave the stand before they show up when you know it will be too late or wait until after dark? Both times I was surrounded by deer and spooked them as I as leaving after dark. As far as the morning hunt, I think I spooked them again getting to the stand. At this point I think I need to wait until it gets cooler. This is my first archery season and am not used to the early hot season.

When do you exit the stand in the evening and show up in the morning in the early part of the season?

thanks!

One of the big reasons I don't hunt my feeders. Try to figure out where they are coming from and set up 75-100 yards away from feeder. Better chance at catching them before dark and won't booger them up coming and going.

Comment

Originally posted by Turboe View Post
      I’ve had 2 evening hunts and 1 morning hunt this season. I would be in the stand by 4:30pm or by 5:00am. I wouldn’t have any action until right at dark then I would be covered up in deer, would you leave the stand before they show up when you know it will be too late or wait until after dark? Both times I was surrounded by deer and spooked them as I as leaving after dark. As far as the morning hunt, I think I spooked them again getting to the stand. At this point I think I need to wait until it gets cooler. This is my first archery season and am not used to the early hot season.

When do you exit the stand in the evening and show up in the morning in the early part of the season?

thanks!
      Just thinking out loud here but you can't shoot a deer if you're leaving before they show up

I get what you're saying but I wouldn't leave if it'll blow your cover.

Comment

Thats always the $100k question. Im in for answers too.
        This year I got a remote control for my feeder. I am going to get set up and then wait 10-15 and spin it.
        Then again in 15. Try and train them for the dinner bell and coming in earlier than right at dark 30. I always have deer around when I leave. Unless you want to spend the night there. There is no way to avoid it. Just wait till it's pitch dark and slip out like a ninja.
        Welcome to the addiction!

Comment

One thing you could try possibly is turning your evening feed time way down. That way you don’t have much corn on the ground after dark. It will train your deer to come to it during daylight and you could always hand corn extra when you hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Too me a lot of variables here. Depends on if you can pattern your deer movement like mentioned above on intercepting them sooner. Also, how much hunting pressure in your area will influence their movement & feeding pattern. Other variables like weather changes/conditions,etc...
            I think sometimes it just takes being in the right place at the right time. Good luck

Comment

If I have deer around me after dark and I'm ready to go, I have an app on my phone that is hog sounds. I'll play it a couple of times and they'll usually leave for awhile. As for in the morning that's a tough one, just try and get there early and quite.

Comment

Mornings; I’ve been slipping in right at first light, i have a good entry though. I get deer within 20 minutes on my hand corn.

Evenings; I hunt the last 1- 1.5 hrs of light this time of year. I climb down at dark quietly and they are back on the corn in minutes after i leave.
                I’m hunting way up a pair of pine and climb down the backside. The other night there were 2 doe that never left as i exited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is no stopping busting deer coming or leaving, just do it as quite as possible.

Comment

I hand throw corn 20y from my patio door,, we watch year around..no hunt them..Most of time they hit it 30m before dark ...But now that season started none to be seen tell maybe 30m after dark...spikes and does...But now that season open a shooter is coming in every nite, while the 10pm news is on..

Comment

My buddy tied fishing line to a tree limb 10' away or so, and would shake the limb and the deer would leave and he would get out of the blind. I always just got out quietly.

Comment

For morning hunts, sometimes they are there when I arrive, and sometimes they aren't. If they are, they usually come back after I settle in as long as I play the wind right, and cover my scent as much as possible.

For evening hunts, they usually show up about 10-30 minutes before I can take my last shot, and then hang around till well after dark. I just get out as quiet as I can. Then I try and act like I'm not a little scared when they all start snorting and blowing at me. I know what they're doing, but it makes me jump every time.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                          I think sometimes it just takes being in the right place at the right time. Good luck
                          If you are talking East Texas, then patterning them is just hard. I hunt ETX, Central TX, and the Hill Country and ETX is by far the hardest for me. The biggest problem with ETX is most of the hunting is on timber land and the deer don't feel much people presence from Jan to Sept as opposed to the ranch land I hunt in the other parts of the state.

So my theory is this: The more the deer see, smell, feel people without getting hurt the more they get comfortable. Getting into or out of stands with deer around is just part of it, if they keep coming back I wouldn't worry about it. If they shy away because of you then I would try hunting trails going or coming from the feeders.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            One of the big reasons I don't hunt my feeders. Try to figure out where they are coming from and set up 75-100 yards away from feeder. Better chance at catching them before dark and won't booger them up coming and going.
                            I’ve been considering this tactic because I see them in the distance coming my way, but it’s too late by the time they get to me...

Thanks for all the info everyone and good luck this season!

Comment

I built a little hiding spot for my mule in the brush behind my blinds for the mule , I run the road feeder year round when im drinving filling feeders ect to them the mule means feed. they will return to feeder minutes after I leave .

Comment

Working...
                              X