JD Murphree Alligator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD Murphree Alligator

So got in on the second draw for sep 17-18 to try and harvest a gator. Anyone have any tips or pointers to help a rookie make the most of my 1.5 days on the water.

Will most likely hit the marshes in my kayak since I'm not sure ill be able to get my hands on a boat by then, and I'm gonna rely on a line set to catch one because the thought of arrowing a gator from my kayak gives me the willies a little

I would call the WMA to get advice about trying to use a kayak. They might just run you out to set a line in one of their boats.

Comment

We had engine issues the first time we went. We ended up getting it running, but they told us if we didn't, they had a place we drive/walk to and set lines off the bank.

But yeah, I'd call down there and talk to them. Not sure I'd even want to attempt that in a yak.

Comment

A yak is doable but not ideal. We took one out of a little 12' narrow Jon boat once. It is a lot easier with two people. And a bigger boat would be better. They don't act like on swamp people and thrash around unless you jerk them around. If they have a place to walk and set a line from the bank that is really easy as we have done that too.

Comment

I have hunted it twice with a large Jon boat, and would recommend calling them if you are set on a yak . A yak just doesn’t seem logical enough for hauling gear and a gator after harvest

Comment

What about 2 yaks screwed together with a sheet of 3/4" plywood. It'd be like a poor boy gator toon.

Comment

Please video yourself getting that 10 foot gator in your yak.

Comment

I think it says specifically no yaks on the hunt description page... best bet is to go down a bit early and see if u can't team up wit someone

Comment

well if it says no yaks you might just have to go with a standup paddle board instead.

Comment

From the hunt brochure for JD Murphree:

"Parties with inadequate or unsafe boats or equipment are not guaranteed a hunt." There is no mention specifically about kayaks.

Comment

What a waste of tag

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                        I would call the WMA to get advice about trying to use a kayak. They might just run you out to set a line in one of their boats.
                        Ya I called already and they say there a few folks every year successful from and yak, and even a have had a couple people show up with inflatables

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                          Please video yourself getting that 10 foot gator in your yak.
                          Thats kind of where im at now with it, I have a 13' yak that will be able to haul everything I need in and out if successful. Im loving the thought of that challenge to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                            From the hunt brochure for JD Murphree:

"Parties with inadequate or unsafe boats or equipment are not guaranteed a hunt." There is no mention specifically about kayaks.
                            Ya I was worried when I read that...called and said theyd absolutely let me hunt and that they'd even work with me to get one of the closer compartments so I would have to paddle too far

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                              What a waste of tag
                              Don't hate

Comment

Working...
                              X