Tobacco Age Goes Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    You same hypocrites that are praising this law would crap in your mess-kit if they tried to move the age to purchase a firearm to 25. It's government overreach, pure and simple. The more we let them take, the less we have. Legal drinking age should be lowered to 18, because that's when you're considered an adult in this country and can make your own decisions....oh, but let's have the government help us. Yeah, right.

Below are the only countries (except for Muslim nations that allow zero alcohol) that have a 21 drinking age (updated 2016):

Côte d'Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Iraq, Kiribati, Micronesia, Mongolia, Nauru, Oman, Palau, Samoa, Sri Lanka, United States.

Yeah, great company.

I know this is a thread about cigarettes, but the same applies.

While I agree with you, I think you'd be surprised at how many people on here would support raising the age to purchase a firearms. Texas is not as conservative as people believe, and it's often the ones that brag about how red it is that make it that way.

Comment

I just want to know why our politicians are focusing on this instead of the real crimes that are being committed. What would happen if all this talk and focus was put on enforcing the real laws that are already on the books like finding the fellow TBH members utv an trailer that were stolen, finding the suspects to shootings ect. Now police just have something else to distract them from doing their real job. Good grief the daylight savings time deserves more debate than this. Its not a matter of if you agree or disagree its the fact that there are much more important things that they need to be focused on.

Comment

Several of my family members smoke, with 3 dying from smoking related illness and 2 with emphysema so bad lighting a cig takes their breath and yet they “find a way.” Cigarettes are bad, 0 good reasons to smoke. It’s hard for me to believe people are ok with their kids access to nicotine the way it is. But to each there own.

Hard to argue against post #6, there pretty much isn’t an argument to be made. Guess to me it’s the 18 years olds supplying the cigs to the younger crowd in HS. No it’s not a 100% safety net but how can it not do anything? It won’t be much but it certainly won’t make it any easier and that’s ok with me.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
          Surprised so many here are happy to see the government taking away our freedoms
          No kidding, scary!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
            Drinking age has been 21 in Texas since 1986. How's that working out for underage drinking? LOL!
            x2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
              Several of my family members smoke, with 3 dying from smoking related illness and 2 with emphysema so bad lighting a cig takes their breath and yet they “find a way.” Cigarettes are bad, 0 good reasons to smoke. It’s hard for me to believe people are ok with their kids access to nicotine the way it is. But to each there own.

Hard to argue against post #6, there pretty much isn’t an argument to be made. Guess to me it’s the 18 years olds supplying the cigs to the younger crowd in HS. No it’s not a 100% safety net but how can it not do anything? It won’t be much but it certainly won’t make it any easier and that’s ok with me.
              Let’s just ban everything that hurts or kills people! This is how freedoms are slowly taken away, please wake up!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholson84 View Post
                Let’s just ban everything that hurts or kills people! This is how freedoms are slowly taken away, please wake up!
                We are Americans it’s ok to disagree thank god..

Comment

I think you would have a better argument against banning tobacco all together. Say it is harmful, akin to something like asbestos. I could buy that argument better than raising the age to buy a legal product. If you are an adult at 18 you should be able to vote, buy a beer, smoke, and buy a gun. Just my opinion.

Comment

I too have lost several family members from cancers likely due to chronic tobacco use. I don't think anyone is making the argument that tobacco is good for you...but neither is fast food, junk food or high impact sports. People will always seek to do whatever makes them feel good...sometimes that means chasing 8 Jack In The Box tacos with a large shake other times that means jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. We try to limit or train away this behavior in children but is it reasonable to take choice away from adults? Freedom is not only about the freedom to make choices its also about the freedom to make mistakes, but people need to suffer the consequences of their mistakes.
                    Last edited by JonBoy; 06-11-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                      I think you would have a better argument against banning tobacco all together. Say it is harmful, akin to something like asbestos. I could buy that argument better than raising the age to buy a legal product. If you are an adult at 18 you should be able to vote, buy a beer, smoke, and buy a gun. Just my opinion.
                      I can respect these post and trust me it’s hard to make a stand on this slippery slope. Guess with my family history and having a HS age daughter it hits home. There are laws preventing people from asbestos exposure nowadays also.
                      Last edited by Jcjohnson; 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM.

Comment

just seeing this! Did not know it was even on the agenda in Texas. Odd how our ability to make our own choices for the sake of the greater good seem to be always wrapped in, "for the children!" I guess the age to go to war should geaux up also.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          Good move. Getting tired of paying higher insurance rates for treating all the sicknesses and diseases caused by tobacco. I quit several years ago.
                          I’d be willing to bet that higher insurance rates have more to do with folks that are overweight/obese than tobacco.

Comment

Tobacco is still legal?

Comment

Guns serve a purpose. Cigarettes don't. I don't see the two as an apples to apples comparison.

Comment

With that logic, lets lower the speed limit to 5 mph everywhere. No one would ever die in car accidents again, and to hell with it taking all day to drive from Katy to Sealy because "If it saves just one life...."

Comment

Working...
                                X