Have You Ever Been to an Amish Auction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have You Ever Been to an Amish Auction?

I went to my second one today since we have lived here. It's kinda like a county fair combined with a flea market combined with an auction.

The women make hand cranked homemade ice cream, bake homemade pies, cook awesome tenderloins and hamburgers.

There was a lot of dollars worth of fine horses and buggys in the parking lot.

It is quite an experience. It is like going back in time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do they serve alcohol there? I'd be concerned with taking the wrong buggy home.

Any interesting guns in the auction?

Comment

Now that would be a neat thing!

Comment

I used to see them delivering butter to the local grocery on Saturday mornings when I lived in Ohio. They had lots of products in there. The butter was in about a 5lb roll. But you could buy smaller portions through the deli. Some would ride in an auto if you offered. And some would not. And some could drink some beer too!
        But most didn't.

Comment

I actually have been to a few in Mechanicsville Maryland. They farm on my sisters land up there as well.

Comment

I’ve been to a few in Clarita, OK. Pretty much as described above. Lots of baked goods, honey, dairy, hand made quilts, clothes, equipment, etc.... pretty neat. Those women can make some **** fine food.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
              Do they serve alcohol there? I'd be concerned with taking the wrong buggy home.

Any interesting guns in the auction?
              No alcohol.[emoji16] Actually the buggys are very different from each other depending on the model and who built it. A nice buggy, horse and rigging can run $20K to $25K. Its kinda like the saying goes.... 'don't let them clothes fool you". Most of the Amish folks are very well off. I wouldn't be surprised if this farm with the house, outbuildings, and saw mill doesn't bring over a $1,000,000.00.

Comment

Do they ride those buggies back to their house with elec and a/c?

Comment

As your main pic is posted next to the propane tank lol.. I love going up 69(no pun intended) thru Muskogee etc. Great food and treats. Never been to an 'auction' but looks like a good time!

Comment

Looks like it would be a great experience

Did you buy anything?

Comment

We went to a mud auction in Lancaster PA last year. We spent all of our time at the quilt auction and bought 6 quilts. Not only can they cook, they can sew.

Mud auctions are put on annually by the local VFD's.

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                        Do they ride those buggies back to their house with elec and a/c?
                        No. No electricity. That is why an "Englishman" will probably not be a buyer of this farm. Power would have to be run to the house and sawmill. The house and sawmill would have to be completely wired. Plumbing would have to installed. All lights in Amish homes are propane lamps. All sawmill tools are air powered. The air is supplied by propane powered compressors. There will be plenty of Amish wanting to buy this place.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 08-08-2020, 08:12 PM.

Comment

would love to go to one. ask some about hunting there land. thanks for sharing the pics!

Comment

That is very cool. Sounds like a good time. Those carriages/buggies are impressive. Did you see Harrison Ford around?

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                              That is very cool. Sounds like a good time. Those carriages/buggies are impressive. Did you see Harrison Ford around?
                              Or Roy Munson.....

Comment

Working...
                              X