No announcement yet.

Check This Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot a big boar with a mechanical one time from a similar angle and it "bounced" back 4 or 5 feet.
    that pig was really angry when he walked off.... Broadhead was bent on one side but intact.....was not the result I was looking for.

Comment

Performance like this is why I went extra heavy this year.

There’s not a shoulder blade or femur in North America will stop a 710 grain freight train with razor sharp single bevel blades!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IkemanTX--until this happened, I never thought a whitetail doe in south central TX had the bone structure to do this either -- with my semi-heavy 525-gr arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Remember when we heard that same "Crack", Charlie?

Slick Trick buried in the off shoulder joint.

Yessir Bobby I remember it like it was yesterday... Can hear the WHACK in the video very clearly, and dang near knocked the deer down, but there was no broadhead failure as evidenced by your pics... and you got to eat the deer...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            It is no doubt that is broadhead failure. Question is what caused the failure and when EXACTLY did it happen... You OBVIOUSLY hit your target, but did the head hit something else first, or did you not hit where you thought (perhaps a low brisket hit with a riccochet back off ground item like a rock) A solid hit that failed the head AFTER it passed thru the animal should have had a LOT of physical evidence on the head. I'm thinking you cut the animal with the head, but the head did NOT pass thru the animal's body and it hit something very hard after (or possibly before) hitting the animal.
            This is my thought as well. That heavy arrow / broadhead combination ain't bouncing off bone. It buries into bone.
            Also.....blood smeared up to about 3 inches from the vane.... Guaranteed that arrow didn't bounce off after 20 or so inches of penetration. You either grazed or passed through the deer and hit a rock/feeder. My. 02
            Either way it sucks to lose a deer. It's bow hunting though.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go and try to find the impact spot on the ground that arra hit. I bet it's there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
                I shot a big boar with a mechanical one time from a similar angle and it "bounced" back 4 or 5 feet.
                that pig was really angry when he walked off.... Broadhead was bent on one side but intact.....was not the result I was looking for.
                I did that years ago. I had been hearing pigs all morning behind, me but could not see them in their trenches. I found on that place they had trenches dug all around the prickly pear, so the could move around all day and not bee seen. I think they did it for the nice cool red sand.

After hearing them all morning, I wanted to find one, and knew, I was not going to see one from the tripod, back in that stuff behind me. So I got down and started walking. I had set the tripod up at the edge of a old well sight, that was over grown with huisache, that bucks had been tearing up.

I got down and walked around, did not make it 30 yards from the tripod, then heard pigs squealing. Then they came trotting out in the open, saw me and took off, right back in the brush. There was a big reddish colored sow in the group. She ran and stopped behind some thick brush. That brush had a hole in it, I could see through perfectly, about 8" in diameter. Directly in the middle of that hole, was her shoulder. So I took the shot, threaded the needle. The arrow went perfectly through the center of the hole in the brush, hit her right on the upper part of the shoulder. The arrow bounced off, momentarily wobbled in the air, as the arrow was flexing. I was shooting some early Beeman carbon fiber Hunter arrows. I had trouble finding something to use as a target and backstop, that could stop those arrows. But that sows shoulder stopped that arrow dead, and caused it to bounce back about 6 ft., hover momentarily, then drop to the ground. Looked like something you would see in a cartoon. The sow took off squealing and making some sounds, like she was in some extreme pain. Don't even know how to describe those sounds, other than sounded horribly painful. I bet it hurt, don't want to find out.

Comment

Looks to me like you just grazed her and the arrow hit a rock afterwards.

I shot a buck once and grazed the back of a front leg just above the knee. Found a similar blood trail and the buck dead about 40 yards after the blood trail stopped. Ironically it was with that same Bear Razorhead.

Comment

My $0.02, you grazed the doe and your arrow hit a rock and bounced back. Do you have more pictures of the tip of that broadhead?
                    My other theory, robot deer blending in looking for/reporting poachers. You hit the metal leg. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      IkemanTX--until this happened, I never thought a whitetail doe in south central TX had the bone structure to do this either -- with my semi-heavy 525-gr arrows.

Agreed. I’d have thought 525 would be plenty. Shows you what I know..... Good write up [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's another pic of the tip of the blade---no damage at all to it which would be evident had it hit a rock. I still think it hit a major bone and the deer's reaction/movement bent the arrow enough that the broadhead gave way.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          Would love to know "the rest of the story" (what happened to cause that)
                          They done started wearing kevlar vests ?

Comment

I used those broadheads when I first started
                            bowhunting in the early 90s. Had the tip on one bend up a little when I shot a small hog. Switched to Thunderheads. I shoot Slick Tricks now.

Comment

Working...
                            X