Unlimited Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlimited Vacation

Just ranting a bit. How many work for a company that touts unlimited vacation as a "great" company perk? I've found it means, I'm allowed to take vacation...maybe... if no one at the company has any need of me what so ever. In five years of employment, I've taken one week off....during covid. I've been forced to cancel and eat the cost of an overnight tuna trip that had been on my calendar and approved by for four months. I was just forced to cancel my June 13th snapper trip which was approved since January. Now they are trying schedule over my trips later in the month.

Unlimited vacation does two things for a company:

1. Allows them to jerk you around like the above
    2. They don't have to pay out PTO in states that usually require it, as there is no way to calculate the amount due.

It's not designed to benefit you the employee.

Comment

They've granted you pre-scheduled vacation time and then they're rescinding it?

Comment

Perhaps they don’t understand the meaning of unlimited??

Some times you just have to be sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I fall under that umbrella. Just takes the funding liability off the employer at the start of the year. Also, they can drop you and not owe you any vacation money. I think it’s pure BS and make sure I take time off no matter what.

Comment

PTO=Prepare The Others......because I'm not gonna be here.

Comment

Doesn't sound like anywhere I'd want to be. You have to cancel approved time off AND eat the cost? That's bs.

Comment

Sounds like you are a very important cog in the wheel. Guess that's not a horrible place to be in the big scheme.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Sounds like you are a very important cog in the wheel. Guess that's not a horrible place to be in the big scheme.[emoji848]

Guess that's one way to look at it. That or ownership is woefully incompetent on training people and they ride the good workers into the ground. I have seen that as well. Hopefully compensation reflects his importance. Yet the "important cog" has to eat the cost of trips that have been preapproved?
                  Last edited by Graysonhogs; 05-30-2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    Guess that's one way to look at it. That or ownership is woefully incompetent on training people and they ride the good workers into the ground. I have seen that as well. Hopefully compensation reflects his importance.
                    Bingeaux!!! [emoji6] I always lean towards the positive side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

Kind of what I was thinking. One week in five years sounds like you need to set a vacation schedule and stick to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                        Kind of what I was thinking. One week in five years sounds like you need to set a vacation schedule and stick to it.
                        Unless was self-employed there is NO way in heck im only taking 1 week in 5 years of personal time. None

Comment

Dang, I would think somebody on the upper end didn't like me?
                          If you're that important, answers, explanations and compensation would be heavily discussed first thing that morning before I ever set down to work, or it would be my last day.
                          A precedent should have been set the first time it happened.
                          Seems to me if you were that important to them you wouldn't be asking these questions, nor would you be getting jacked around.
                          Being an important cog that they could care less about, is about the most horrible place you could possibly find yourself in the grand scheme of things.
                          Some things money can't make up for.

Comment

Fortunately my employer offers unlimited vacation time and they honor it. I’ve never been denied time off and I take probably 5-6 weeks a year. Been with them 8 years and do not plan on leaving.

Comment

@ my Place of Employment, I get 200 hrs a year, to be taken when I want.... but... If I have a BIG Audit scheduled, I ain't going no were, or other Issues that require me to be on site, the down side to being the only one that does my job.. two sided coin I guess.. but a week in 5 years,,, i don't think so babbaloo

Comment

Working...
                              X