X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
    Why would you ask that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In order to understand the price structure. That kind of info is useful for folks trying to evaluate an estimate.

Comment

Glad your issue was resolved. Many contractors use stab wiring on devices to save time and material(wirenuts). The problem with stab wiring is the wire makes minimal contact and over time and load usage. That connection minimizes and and whether it is a hot leg or a neutral. You can lose power in many areas and create an arc inside the box and cause a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        Why would you ask that?
        Probably to see what the going rate is for electrician house calls. He said they so evidently there was more than one electrician at his house. Roughly $110 an hour sounds very reasonable. I thought it would be a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          Probably to see what the going rate is for electrician house calls. He said they so evidently there was more than one electrician at his house. Roughly $110 an hour sounds very reasonable. I thought it would be a lot more.

$110/hr is fair. I was simply asking to find that number out. I’m an electrician in the houston area and wanted to compare my pricing to theirs. I don’t prefer the hourly rate because I feel it hurts very experienced people.

For example:

if tech #1 has better tools and more experience, he may solve the issue in 45min. Replace a $3 plug and then what? Should he charge $330?

If tech #2 is less experienced with cheaper tools should he get the same price?

What if it the company charges $110 per hour and tech #1 takes 1hr and tech #2 takes 4? Should the customer be billed based off the techs LACK of experience. And should the tech be penalized for his EXTRA experience?

I would have been cheaper that $330 but I’m also fairly confident I would have been less that 3hrs. But I constantly used to get questions like “why so much? You were only here 45min.” For that reason I started giving prices and estimates before repairs.

It’s $105 dollars to get me there and asses the situation. Tripped breaker, tripped gfci, or something easy that is fixed within that first hr. Is $105. If I need to supply parts and material an estimate on a contract is provided. If you sign and approve repairs the $105 goes towards that.

99.9% of the time the issue is isolated and found within the first 30-45min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would think the market would work out tech #1 over tech #2 in time. Capitalism 101

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
              $110/hr is fair. I was simply asking to find that number out. I’m an electrician in the houston area and wanted to compare my pricing to theirs. I don’t prefer the hourly rate because I feel it hurts very experienced people.

For example:

if tech #1 has better tools and more experience, he may solve the issue in 45min. Replace a $3 plug and then what? Should he charge $330?

If tech #2 is less experienced with cheaper tools should he get the same price?

What if it the company charges $110 per hour and tech #1 takes 1hr and tech #2 takes 4? Should the customer be billed based off the techs LACK of experience. And should the tech be penalized for his EXTRA experience?

I would have been cheaper that $330 but I’m also fairly confident I would have been less that 3hrs. But I constantly used to get questions like “why so much? You were only here 45min.” For that reason I started giving prices and estimates before repairs.

It’s $105 dollars to get me there and asses the situation. Tripped breaker, tripped gfci, or something easy that is fixed within that first hr. Is $105. If I need to supply parts and material an estimate on a contract is provided. If you sign and approve repairs the $105 goes towards that.

99.9% of the time the issue is isolated and found within the first 30-45min.

Very good info and insight. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                I would think the market would work out tech #1 over tech #2 in time. Capitalism 101

All it takes is tech #1 going behind tech #2 once to win a customer for life.

That typically gets him 3-4 other jobs as well.

Comment

When they arrived there was three workers. The main guy was a journeyman, with two apprentice. One of them had been training for a year, the other guy was a little further along in his training. The company I called was Texas Elite, there shop is five blocks away.

Comment

Working...
                  X