No announcement yet.

Honda Rancher ES running issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While you are at it, I would adjust the valves. Pretty ease job and my foreman runs a lot better after I do it. I do this about every year.

Comment

I have seen this a lot with our bikes that sit for longer than a month or two. It might be stuff in the tank, but in most cases it is not. Unless the screens on the petcock are damaged/broken off.

I have had to take carbs off many times because of idling problems and WOT problems.
      • It could be small particles that made it through the screen and settled in the bowl to form one big solid. But this would be rare.
      • I have also seen spiders and other bugs make their way in and I guess get stuck and end up clogging one or both of the jets.
      • Another thing I have seen is the ethanol in gas settle at the bottom of the bowl and eventually create a clear gel. Seen this one many times and the grade of fuel doesnt help.

I try my best at the end of trips to close the fuel petcock and run the carb dry. And then add an ounce or two of seafoam. It doesnt always happen, but we try.

Hope this helps.

J

Comment

I appreciate all the help and insight, folks. Thank you.

Just a quick update, I did replace the battery, so at least now I don’t have to use the pull-start to get it running. However, it will only run so long as the choke is engaged. Once I turn the choke off it spotters out and dies within a couple of seconds. I’m assuming this still means it’s a fuel delivery issue, i.e. a clog somewhere, but I wanted to run this by y’all again and see what you guys think.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post

Just a quick update, I did replace the battery, so at least now I don’t have to use the pull-start to get it running. However, it will only run so long as the choke is engaged. Once I turn the choke off it spotters out and dies within a couple of seconds. I’m assuming this still means it’s a fuel delivery issue, i.e. a clog somewhere, but I wanted to run this by y’all again and see what you guys think.
          Is that with no throttle?

Crank it again, rev it up around 1/2 throttle, and hold it while you push the choke in.

See if it stays running with throttle and no choke.

Pilot jet is usually the first place to start. It covers idle to 1/4 throttle or so. It's the smallest one and usually clogs pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, I would start with a carb cleanout before making other changes.

Be sure to take the jets all the way out. Just blowing them could just wedge stuff further in. Having a couple needles or sharp picks can help also.

Also be sure to hold on to those tiny jets tight, if using compressed air. Ask me why.

J

Comment

Main jet has trash lodged in it. Take carb off and clean any and all jets, ports,ect.

Comment

Sounds like I need to clean the carb out. Perhaps I'll just put a new one (I'm afraid if I try and clean I'll reassemble it wrong and it won't work anyway LOL).

Comment

Sounds like I need to clean the carb out. Perhaps I'll just put a new one (I'm afraid if I try and clean I'll reassemble it wrong and it won't work anyway LOL).
                  Heck, give it a try. You can always buy a carb later. If you can hook up the throttle cable to a new carb then you can overhaul one.

Comment

this is easier than you think. those carbs are simple and you might find a youtube on it for a little DIY

Comment

Well, I've got another update, and this one seems rather positive: taking Brute 23's recommendation, I turned on the bike and throttled down while taking the choke off. At first it cut off immediately, even with the throttle down, but then I turned it back on and tried it again. This time it stayed running, even when I released the throttle completely.

So I'm guessing one of two things happened: either the battery has now come up to full charge and is able to keep it running as it should, or throttling down blew out whatever was holed up in the fuel system. But either way it seems like it's working now.

I'm going to try it again later and see what it does, and if it's acting up again I'll go ahead and tear the carburetor down and clean it out real good.
                      Last edited by Etxbuckman; 05-31-2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X