East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
    Wow… and just like thst I had my best sit of all year… Dec 17. 15 deer of which one was a great buck! I saw the bulk on way out from stand. Caught the last light in hayfield where a buck was dogging some does. Had him in crosshairs, but decided it was prob past legal light. Maybe give it a whirl in am? 15 deer! That’s more than what I saw the entire first week of rifle season!!
    That’s awesome!

On a related note, is your name Brandon by chance?

Comment

Wow… and just like thst I had my best sit of all year… Dec 17. 15 deer of which one was a great buck! I saw the bulk on way out from stand. Caught the last light in hayfield where a buck was dogging some does. Had him in crosshairs, but decided it was prob past legal light. Maybe give it a whirl in am? 15 deer! That’s more than what I saw the entire first week of rifle season!!
      Glad you finally had a good hunt.

What the biologist came up with makes sense to me why you haven’t been seeing deer. Thanks for sharing his opinion.

How did you get in contact with him?

Comment

That’s awesome to hear. Get back out there tomorrow and close the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
          That’s awesome!

On a related note, is your name Brandon by chance?
          It is.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
            Glad you finally had a good hunt.

What the biologist came up with makes sense to me why you haven’t been seeing deer. Thanks for sharing his opinion.

How did you get in contact with him?
            Yeah, it makes sense. Not sure how I met him? Probably through NWTF? He had been out to my place a few times over the years. I h have some varying souls and he first came out to see an area that I had questions on.

Comment

Just like that, the cold got um up

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

It is.
                Cool. I asked you for a briefing of the meeting, and I got it. So thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  Just like that, the cold got um up

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                  Get em on their feet, and get em on the ground
                  Punch another tag, makin sausage all around

That’s got a good ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Cool. I asked you for a briefing of the meeting, and I got it. So thanks.
                    Oh! From FB page?

Comment

Oh! From FB page?
                      Yes sir!

Comment

Went to the lease and pulled cards again today. Even more daytime activity compared to 3 days ago with a few hogs showing back up which tells me a lot. I’ve had one of my target bucks make 2 different evening appearances this week with plenty of daylight left. After the hard freeze that’s coming they should be walking around with dinner napkins tied around their necks by New Years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          Went to the lease and pulled cards again today. Even more daytime activity compared to 3 days ago with a few hogs showing back up which tells me a lot. I’ve had one of my target bucks make 2 different evening appearances this week with plenty of daylight left. After the hard freeze that’s coming they should be walking around with dinner napkins tied around their necks by New Years.
                          God I hope so. I saw 6 does crossing a drainage on I-45 at 242 in The Woodlands on my way home yesterday, and that was the most deer I saw all weekend. It was pathetic.

I've got cameras on scrapes and at creek crossings on SMZ's, and there is nada mucho going on.

Comment

This nasty weather had them up today. Had 5 bucks eating from a corn pile down the hill from the house around 3:00 this evening. Nothing that I have not already seen this year. Most were regulars that I watched all summer. Just need them to invite some new friends over to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                              North neighbor must have got a new pallet of pistol ammo…… he should be about out soon… gezzzz
                              LMAoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! That guy gets around. To the east of my Smith County place that guy NEVER stops popping off ammo. He is probably 3/4 of a mile away but it appears to be random but constant......lol!

Comment

Well as you all can judge by my previous posts, I’ve had a tough season at our Rusk Co place. We have some good deer on cam see below, but I have not seen any mature bucks on stand this year.

However my luck changed this weekend, when I had the opportunity to go with my buddy down to his family ranch in San Ygnacio on the border. This land has been in their family since 1968 and is truly a hunters paradise. We hit it just right as the rut was kicking off and saw several deer on our trip. I was after either a past prime deer or a management deer, and I ended up connecting on a trophy “management” 8. On a cool south Texas morning on the 17th it started with young bucks sparring in the senderos. After a 20 min stretch with no activity, I tickled some horns together and this brute of a deer came out. An older 10 point with short brows. He fit the bill for what was on the hit list, but being my first time down to this place, I really wanted a no brainer to shoot and was scared to shoot the wrong deer. As I had the gun on him and doing too much thinking, he walked off out of sight.

I was a little down as it was the last morning hunt, but all that changed as a mature 8 walked out into the same sendero with a harem of doe.

These bucks are smart and he fed for a painstaking 30 mins either facing me, butt to me, or right behind the does. Finally, as he was about done feeding, he turned and stepped back toward the mesquite flat presenting me a broadside, but hurried shot. I squeezed the .308 and he didn’t really hump or do much of anything at all. Dumbfounded, I thought I missed the deer and he didn’t know where the shot came from. However, he then turned took 2 steps back toward the sendero opening and collapsed. I ended up hitting him a little back, but I clipped lungs and must have hit main artery. So happy I ended up with a lethal shot and a quick kill. When I got up to him there was no ground shrinkage at all and I knew I had killed my largest buck to date. He ended up taping out at 138 5/8. I’m still on cloud 9 and to end the trip that evening we killed a 6 man limit of dove. I’ve never been to Argentina, but I can only imagine it has to be similar. We couldn’t even load our guns fast enough before another group of 20+ was on us. Enjoy the pics. Now it’s time to get mad at these east tx deer for a couple more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X