Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #1
TheBeekeeper
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default Half-tough pulled pork

I had a strange outcome on some hind quarter I smoked last week.

Put the leg on the smoker, kept the fire at a 225 F for 4 hours. Last 2 hours I put a remote thermostat in, took the leg up to 150F then wrapped in foil and put in oven at 220 F for 4 more hours until internal temp hit 203 F and I took it out.

Let it rest in a cooler on towels for 1.5 hours, then I took it out. At 180F, the collagen is supposed to liquefy if cooked slowly. Which it was. But when I pulled the pork, most of it pulled apart nicely but one muscle group which was tough. I thought it was rather odd. That muscle I put in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, garlic and barley and cooked overnight to salvage it.

Was it just a tough hog, or is 203F just too low?

- Edit -
The stew of the tough muscle was excellent. The meat was tender and the flavors outstanding. Which tells me it needed more time. But still, 203F should have done the trick.

Last edited by TheBeekeeper; 01-24-2021 at 05:37 PM.
TheBeekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
lovetohunt
Ten Point
 
lovetohunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Tx
Hunt In: Young County
Default

Just curious how big was the pig?
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
oktx
Pope & Young
 
oktx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wise County
Hunt In: Wise County
Default

I doubt longer would have helped. Maybe just a poor hog (lean).
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
TheBeekeeper
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetohunt View Post
Just curious how big was the pig?
I killed so many in October I don't know which one it was. One crazy night I shot 5 with my shotgun, 110 120, 140lb and two piglets. The smallest one I'm willing to butcher is 100lb.

Cutting board in photo is 17" long. I'd think the leg is 8-10lb.

Last edited by TheBeekeeper; 01-24-2021 at 05:54 PM.
TheBeekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
menglert
Four Point
 
menglert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Wells, Runnels
Default

Usually only smoke the shoulders...either grind the hams, chicken fry thin or cure and smoke as they tend to be much leaner

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
menglert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
TheBeekeeper
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglert View Post
Usually only smoke the shoulders...either grind the hams, chicken fry thin or cure and smoke as they tend to be much leaner
I was researching curing the hams just last week. What is your method on that?
TheBeekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 06:10 PM   #7
menglert
Four Point
 
menglert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Wells, Runnels
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeekeeper View Post
I was researching curing the hams just last week. What is your method on that?
I typically debone trying to keep them as whole as possible then do a simple brine similar to this:

https://ruhlman.com/barbecued-ham-wi...e-honey-glaze/

I vacuum pack mine in large bags with a manual seal as it takes less space in the beer fridge and let them cure about a week, you would need to go longer if you leave the bone in. Once cured rinse and let sit in tje fridge over night and then smoke at around 200 until IT of 160 finishing with a honey glaze. When done try and cool quickly, i usually throw in the deep freeze a while then slice thin.



Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
menglert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #8
TheBeekeeper
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by menglert View Post
I typically debone trying to keep them as whole as possible then do a simple brine similar to this:

https://ruhlman.com/barbecued-ham-wi...e-honey-glaze/

I vacuum pack mine in large bags with a manual seal as it takes less space in the beer fridge and let them cure about a week, you would need to go longer if you leave the bone in. Once cured rinse and let sit in tje fridge over night and then smoke at around 200 until IT of 160 finishing with a honey glaze. When done try and cool quickly, i usually throw in the deep freeze a while then slice thin.
Hmmm. That wasn't what I was expecting that is more of a cooking process. I was going towards a curing/preserving. Salt box, then smoke then hang without refrigeration for a year or 2.
TheBeekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com