Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
    That scared buck, think her may have gotten hit by a vehicle? Looks to be about 2.5...id let him go for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure what happened to him. The only road near us is an easement road that's used by two landowners. I have pictures of him about a month earlier and his body and antlers were in good shape and then something happened to him, just not sure what.

Comment

That's a mystery for sure! He's young, as long as he appears healthy I'd let him grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How much does it cost someone to plant it for you?

Comment

Moses is awesome he is my favorite deer you have. I love those brows and I'm a sucker for unique deer. Hope he ends up on your wall.

Comment

He is definitely unique and I hope that someone gets a chance at him this year.

We did a second spotlight count and the numbers are still showing around 1 deer/4.5 acres. Based on these two counts, we will need to harvest about 10 does off our property this year. I really hope that we can get our neighbors to shoot the right number of does this year. Unfortunately, their lack of killing (does) has really increased the population and not in a good way. We would really like to get our numbers to around 1 deer/7 acres, but that will take 3 years or more to get the numbers where we want and we won't be able to get there without our neighbors help. We are hoping for the best.

Comment

We had around 5 Ac/deer before the 2011 season. Thankfully we had 2011 in which we slaughtered over 30 does to drop the population. The goal was to eventually get to 10-12 Ac/Deer, but now I'm happy with 7-8 Ac/deer. You'll get there, you just have to keep hammering.

Comment

Just completed reading most of this thread. I really enjoyed it. You have an awesome place and some excellent bucks. I have been on a place in Menard County for over 20 years and I love it. We attempt to manage the place with harvest and supplemental feed, but nothing like you are doing here. We have had some good deer over the years with one reaching 150 plus.
                I am really intrigued by some of the comments about the older deer. This happens to us as well. We will have some awesome pictures in August and then some of the deer will just disappear.
                I am going to try to keep protein out a little longer like someone said here and see if it helps us.
                Definitely following along. Hope to meet you one day. Have a great season.

Comment

Food Plot Status - 9/30/16

We received our seed today - Tecomate Max-Attract. We bought enough to plant 5-acres.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9432 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	24464857

Name:	IMG_9433 (Large).jpg
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24464858

We will disk the soil with an Armstrong HD2020 disk harrow two or three times to really break up the ground. We will then throw 13-13-13 fertilizer out at around 120lbs/acre and then use a chain harrow to smooth the soil. Once the soil is smooth and ready, we will broadcast the Tecomate Max-Attract out at 40lbs/acre and then drag the soil one last time.

Here's a picture of the disk and the seeder/fertilizer that we will be using:

Name:	Armstrong 6.5ft Disk.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24464859

Name:	Armstrong Seeder-Fertilizer.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	24464860

We are also purchasing about 150lbs of wheat that we are going to plant in several different opening that are about 3 acres in total.

I really hope this will work.

Comment

10/7/16 Update

We planted two food plots this past weekend. A 5-acre food plot and a 2-acre food plot. In the 5-acre food plot we planted Tecomate Max-Attract on 4 acres and planted wheat on 1-acre. In the 2-acre food plot we planted wheat and winter rye. We broadcasted around 100lbs/acre of 13-13-13 on top of the soil after seeding. We are learning as we go and probably didn't do an excellent job of making sure our seed broadcasted perfectly, but we will get better every year. We disked the field twice perpendicular and i have to say that I was very impressed with how good the soil looked at both locations. I was also surprised that we didn't find many rocks whatsoever. We are now praying for rain. Here are some pictures:

Name:	IMG_9542 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	24465798

Name:	IMG_9543 (Large).jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	24465799

Name:	IMG_9536 (Large).jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	24465800

Name:	IMG_9607 (Large).jpg
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	24465801

Name:	IMG_9612 (Large).jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	24465802

Name:	IMG_9664 (Large).jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24465803

New 6 1/2ft Armstrong Disc:

Name:	IMG_9567 (Large).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	24465805

One of our Krivoman timed protein bow set up:

Name:	IMG_9563 (Large).jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	24465804

Comment

Nice work....

Comment

Love looking good I always enjoy your updates

Comment

Man those plots are going to be awesome. I look forward to seeing them grow and how the deer like them. Good luck.

Comment

Well they definitely won't grow if we can't get any rain. I'm hoping we get some in the next 7-10 days.

Comment

Looking good! I know what you mean about rain.

Comment

Trail Camera Pics_10-7/2016

A new 8-pointer showed up a couple weeks ago. He doesn't look to be any older than 4.5yrs, but he has a great frame:

Name:	09100190 (Large).jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	24465888

Name:	09100215 (Large).jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	24465889

Comment

Working...