Waco Brazos Catfishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waco Brazos Catfishing

A few times a year, a group of us will travel to a river for a weekend to run lines specifically targeting large yellow cats aka flathead catfish.

We have an opportunity to fish the Brazos this year just east of Lake Waco. Does anyone have any experience with this water?

Specifically:

Fishing any good?
    Easily navigable by boat or is it shallow?
    Is it overfished?

I have fished the Brazos several times in Falls County but not this far up. We are normally in a more remote area and not sure how to feel about running lines in town.

Any feedback is appreciated.

In for this info

Comment

Just go eat at Buzzard Billy's on the River at night, and you can watch the big cats come up and eat the scraps people throw off the deck. I think it's mostly blue cats, but there some big'ns in there. Always wanted to take a Kayak just outside the lights and throw a line in the swarm

Comment

We used to do real good at Navarro Mills for flat heads.

Comment

Haven’t done it since high school(27yrs) but we use to catch some big old kittys where the bosque and brazos meet near Cameron park.
          Last edited by kruppa24; 04-08-2021, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
            Haven’t done it since high school(27yrs) but we use to catch some big old kittys where the bosque and brazos meet near Cameron park.

That’s about 6 miles downstream from our access. Not bad it it’s deep enough to run WOT.

Comment

Are you on Facebook?

If so, check out Fish On Texas page

It’s a local group that fish’s a lot on the Brazos here in the Waco area.

Comment

...and if you catch a big ‘Un, bring it by my store and I can weigh it.

We are a TPWD Official Weight Station...

Brazos Feed & Supply

Comment

The area we are fishing is considered "Lake Brazos". From the Bosque River to Aquilla Creek. Does anyone know if it is pretty shallow through this area?

Comment

Use Crawfish and/or Goldfish. That's the ticket for yellowcats.

Comment

The river has been up the last few days . Should have pushed out some of the moss that been growing in the river . If I had my choice on the river in the Waco area , I would have to go with below the Falls . Deep holes , good water , and seems like we always caught more down river than up . If that don't work out try north end of Lake Limestone . Caught some 50-60 #'ers outta that lake .

Comment

Originally posted by monster7 View Post
                        The river has been up the last few days . Should have pushed out some of the moss that been growing in the river . If I had my choice on the river in the Waco area , I would have to go with below the Falls . Deep holes , good water , and seems like we always caught more down river than up . If that don't work out try north end of Lake Limestone . Caught some 50-60 #'ers outta that lake .
                        Is there a lot of fishing traffic in that area?

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Live on Brazos north of Waco. Its been a long time but caught a lot of fish out of this river. Boat traffic is bad but not real bad. Make sure everything is legal, game wardens like to run this river.

Comment

Where do you live on the Brazos. We did really well this weekend.
                              Last edited by aggieman12; 05-18-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X