Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-08-2021, 08:04 AM   #1
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can
Default KOZ Jayden’s Victory

Saturday, we had our monthly KOZ meeting at my place in the Lockhart area.
Our outdoor lesson was on turkey hunting so I brought out a couple of my taxidermied birds to show what a wild turkey looked like and we had a shooting range set up with “gobbler head targets”. Since I have a couple of ponds on the property we also provided fishing poles for the boys. Jayden caught his first catfish! But that’s not the highlight of the day.

Later, while we were at the shotgun range, I noticed Jayden hanging out in the back, obviously afraid. We had a short conversation about gun safety and he was convinced to give it a try. But when it came time to actually put his finger on the trigger he couldn’t do it and he backed away with a defeated look. This cycle repeated itself 3 times over the next 30 minutes, each time leaving him defeated with 15 other boys looking on. Amazing, how God uses us and gives us the right word at the right time. The next time he got the 410 in his hands, I put my arm around him and softly asked him, “Is this fear coming from Jesus?”. He answered by shaking his head, still defeated. I said,”you are right, that fear is from the enemy, he wants you to be afraid and stay afraid because he knows when you learn to overcome fear, you will go on to accomplish great things, and as long as you’re afraid, you’ll do nothing. When we do nothing, the enemy wins.” He faced his fear and fired the little gun. Immediately after shooting the boys who had been watching erupted in cheers and applause, it was awesome to witness their support for a boy who was struggling. Jayden was proud of himself but not necessarily ready to shoot again.
We took a break for lunch but before we eat, we always do a short bible lesson and have them fill out a card with 3 things on it; name, something you learned today and a prayer request. Check out what he learned!

While we were eating, he came up to me and politely asked if we could shoot again after lunch! He shot at a bunch of clays thrown with a hand thrower and eventually even broke one!

It turns out, he was so afraid because he’d only been taught the negative about guns but now he knows about every of the positives.
If you don’t have a similar ministry in your local church, I encourage you to check out KOZ. https://www.kidsoutdoorzone.com/

The rewards are priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Good on you RJ! What a great story! I hope Jayden goes on to do great things in life.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

Well done!
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:44 AM   #4
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Made my day. Thank you for your time.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Very cool, asking my wife about doing "The David" camp for my 10 yo. I think he'd love it.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
kcmarullo
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

Good job on you !
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
coachk
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Clay Co

that's really cool! Thanks for making a difference!
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #8
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

somebody is cutting onions in here ... amazing story and thanks for sharing brother.

it's truly sad the negative publicity and downright lies the liberal media and elected officials will use against firearms. Jayden was scared because all he's ever heard was "guns kill people". Through the use of ministry along with his peers, he was educated on the truth and got to experience the positivity firsthand. Kudos to the other kids who supported him and praised him for getting over fear.

Teaching kids about hunting, fishing, and the outdoors will help keep them off the streets and may save one kids life.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBubba View Post
Very cool, asking my wife about doing "The David" camp for my 10 yo. I think he'd love it.
There is no doubt, he'll love it! One of our boys went last year, caught his first bass, killed his first ram and came back fired up about the outdoors and Jesus.
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top