Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Chronotrigger
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Burleson, Milam, and Williamson Co
Default Purchased new gun!

I recently bought a 10/22 from budsguns. There is a spot where it has a bit of a gouge in the edge of the metal near the breech. I did not notice it when I picked it up. If it were you would you try to exchange it for another, possibly get a partial refund, or just let it go? Not really sure how much of a hassle it will be and if it is worth the time and effort. I could overlook it I guess, it just kind of bugs me. Thanks for your time.
Attached Images

Chronotrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #2
bwssr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison county

Just enjoy shooting it...
bwssr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
Lsube0555
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ben Bolt, tx

I know most FFL will not or can not take a gun back it would be between buyer and manufacture. The FFL or seller of the gun sometimes facilitate the process. The gun was bought and serial number logged on paperwork can’t just give it back for an exchange. And that’s probably where they’ll stand you took possession of it they’ll say. Doesn’t hurt to ask
Lsube0555 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

If I bought a new gun, Iíd expect a new, unblemished gun. Regardless if it were a $300 gun or $3,000 gun. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txheartshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I'm gonna guess once you left the FFL, it's yours

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
I would do the same. Iíd be miffed if it was a collectorís grade gun with diminished value. I also understand that you purchased a new rifle and it shouldnít be damaged.

How long have you had it? I donít know Budís policy, but may have to identify issue before leaving FFL.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #7
Chronotrigger
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Burleson, Milam, and Williamson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwssr View Post
I will. Was hoping someone would say they have returned one and it wasn't a huge PIA. Figured as such.
Chronotrigger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #8
Tommyh
Pope & Young

I have never heard of a funstore taking a return on a firearm, so you may have to contact ruger to see what they say about it.
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:31 PM   #9
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

I returned a Savage to Bass Pro Shops and they agreed to the return.

This was an in person transaction, so not exactly the same.

Just an FYI.

I would have a conversation with Buds for sure. Because it was not mentioned when you picked it up, you might be SOL.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #10
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheartshot View Post
If I bought a new gun, I’d expect a new, unblemished gun. Regardless if it were a $300 gun or $3,000 gun. Just my $.02.

Same here! And, as far as I’m concerned, it should be up to the seller (assuming you bought from a retailer or direct from the manufacturer) to resolve any issues related to records-keeping, registrations, or warranties and guarantees tied to serial numbers.

This said, I think it’s important to note that, although you may spend a little more, you’re better off trading with an independent, locally owned gun store, where even if they don’t remember your name, they recognize your face, rather than shopping at a mass-market retail store where, although you may save a few bucks, their commitment to customer service is limited to the conformity and egalitarianism imposed by the inflexibility of their rules as prescribed by the corporate office.

In my case, I’ve taken it a step further and made it a point to cultivate a relationship with the owners and staff of my favorite local gun shop. In fact, it’s no coincidence that my hair salon is right next door so that every time I get my roots touched up, my hair glossed, or my brows waxed (and, d***, no matter how long I’ve been doing this, it still hurts like a MF’r!), I make it a point to stop in and say, “Hi! Got anything new I haven’t seen yet?” And here’s an important post script, although I may not buy something every time I stop in, I believe it’s because of my regular “check-ins” that they’ve also begun holding back the ammo they know I need when it comes in! Well, that and my dazzling new highlights.)

Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 04-02-2021 at 10:00 PM.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #11
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I’d own up to not checking it over real well in the store. Spray a little paint on it and enjoy.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #12
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

You left with it. Enjoy the gun and put some more scratches on it. I wouldn’t worry about it at all.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Iíd be happy it wasnít a more expensive piece, then Iíd enjoy treating it as a tool since someone already took the difficult part away for me. The first one is always the hardest. After that enjoy it.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2021, 10:33 PM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I ordered $1000 rifle online and came in with a scratch in the cerakote. I don't really care, it's gonna get used and have other scratches on it anyway.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

It use to be the beauty of buying a gun at a store. If I found a scratch on it I would beat them down on price some.
grizzman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Same here! And, as far as Iím concerned, it should be up to the seller (assuming you bought from a retailer or direct from the manufacturer) to resolve any issues related to records-keeping, registrations, or warranties and guarantees tied to serial numbers.

This said, I think itís important to note that, although you may spend a little more, youíre better off trading with an independent, locally owned gun store, where even if they donít remember your name, they recognize your face, rather than shopping at a mass-market retail store where, although you may save a few bucks, their commitment to customer service is limited to the conformity and egalitarianism imposed by the inflexibility of their rules as prescribed by the corporate office.

In my case, Iíve taken it a step further and made it a point to cultivate a relationship with the owners and staff of my favorite local gun shop. In fact, itís no coincidence that my hair salon is right next door so that every time I get my roots touched up, my hair glossed, or my brows waxed (and, d***, no matter how long Iíve been doing this, it still hurts like a MFír!), I make it a point to stop in and say, ďHi! Got anything new I havenít seen yet?Ē And hereís an important post script, although I may not buy something every time I stop in, I believe itís because of my regular ďcheck-insĒ that theyíve also begun holding back the ammo they know I need when it comes in! Well, that and my dazzling new highlights.)

Weberís?

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #17
Criminalneg
Spike

Enjoy it
Criminalneg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 04:13 PM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

It's a Ruger so it doesn't hurt the value. They aren't worth very much anyway Kinda like my Savages.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #19
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

Itís a 10-22. A tool to use in the field. I would let it go. Enjoy it. Those things are sweet.

basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #20
MadHatter
Ten Point

Sand it out the best you can, have a bad to the bone cerakote job done on it, and carry on, you'll never notice.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2021, 11:49 PM   #21
Bowyer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas & Oklahoma

I'd clean that up with a file then color the bare metal with a black sharpie.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Bowyer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 02:41 AM   #22
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

If a manufacturer okays an exchange with an ffl then yes they can and should exchange it. I’ve done it twice as long as the dealer has the same gun to replace it with. The process is simple and I know most have “heard” or “read” that once you submit signature on 4473 it’s yours...etc. It is truly simple, contact ruger and let them know the situation. More often then not if the manufacturer ok’s the exchange you simply take the rifle back to dealer exchange it, fill out another 4473 and then the dealer sends back defective firearm to manufacturer and in turn gets reimbursement. Beretta And Winchester are the ones I’ve had experience with. I will also note that both transactions took place locally. Also one ffl dealer was pretty stubborn about it basically just wanted to be right about their perspective until beretta made contact with them to ok it.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #23
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

The problem lies in where he bought the gun. He bought it from Bud's and I am assuming he had it shipped to a local dealer. Who probably only charged a transfer fee. It's not right to expect him to do all the extra work when the gun wasn't bought from him. Unless you are paying him for his time and trouble.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 07:24 AM   #24
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

My opinion is that once you left FFL you lost all claim to damaged from factory.

Shoot it
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #25
Txarrowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker county

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
The problem lies in where he bought the gun. He bought it from Bud's and I am assuming he had it shipped to a local dealer. Who probably only charged a transfer fee. It's not right to expect him to do all the extra work when the gun wasn't bought from him. Unless you are paying him for his time and trouble.
Yes sir.as I mentioned above my experience with this has been local. Online orders should always be inspected by the buyer. That falls solely on transferee and the seller and shall never be the responsibility of the ffl doing a transfer.
Txarrowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 04:39 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Every time I have bought a gun and had it transferred my FFL highly encouraged me to do a very thorough inspection BEFORE filling out the 4473 and taking possession of the gun.

Things get much more complicated after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #27
imyomama
Ten Point

I bought a high $ competition pistol . it comes with 3 magazines , 2 of them had bluing issues , so i emailed them... never heard back from them , no comment , no F-u .. nothing , except for the original automated response ..thanks for contacting us! so i know they got it .. now it doesn't affect operation , but i'm kinda like you an obvious flaw is an obvious flaw ... i guess in my case they assume the mags will take a beating anyways .. but that's not the point! it's like getting a new car with rock chips in the paint ... it's gonna happen , but they shouldn't be there when brand new!
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #28
UltraMax
Ten Point

Strip it down, stone it down a little with a fine round file, put a little cold blue on it and you’ll never see it again. It’s a 10-22 not a $5000 custom.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #29
Bradical BH
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie Co

Sharpie and forget about it. No offense at all, it’s a .22 semi auto. Only the owner would even notice it.
Bradical BH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 01:00 PM   #30
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
Strip it down, stone it down a little with a fine round file, put a little cold blue on it and youíll never see it again. Itís a 10-22 not a $5000 custom.
cold blue works on steel as controlled oxidation , this is a aluminum receiver , won't work I don't think.. sharpie will do the trick though.
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #31
Bucknaked
Four Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

It’s a Ruger 10/22 , made to be dropped, dragged , abused and continue to perform flawlessly! Shoot it Man ;-)

Last edited by Bucknaked; 04-06-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Emoji didn’t work!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #32
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

I wouldn't waste my time to email them over that, I would already have it banged up shooting turtles.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #33
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

If you did exchange it after the first 50 rounds you’ll have that spot again probably. If it shoots shoot it and be happy :-)
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top