Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 02-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Oldfart
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Kentucky
Default Draw weight question

I have a hoyt alphamax32 i have shot for years.It has 29"draw and 70lb weight.I recently had some surgery and back issues and can no longer shoot it at 70lbs.I know to back the weight adjustment bolts out to decrease the weight but want to know how much is too much?I have turned both bolts about 3 turns evenly so far but need to go a tad bit more to get where i need it.I just dont want to go too much and the manual doesnt cover this.Hoping someone who has did this to their alphamax 32 can weigh in and give me a little advice.
Also want to ask what is a good way for me to check the weight when i get it where i want it?Could i hang some lugage scales in my garage and use them to check it?Any advice is greatly appreciated.I would love to get back in the game.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
SRK14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

A quick google search says that most Hoyt bows can be backed off no more than 8 rounds. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
SJP51
Four Point

Hunt In: Menard, Nacogdoches, Bryan

My old Matthews Q2 is a 70# bow. I have it backed down using the bolts to 50#. Does just fine.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
Oldfart
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK14 View Post
A quick google search says that most Hoyt bows can be backed off no more than 8 rounds. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in
Thank You.I can go a little further than i thought.I was afraid i was getting really close to my limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP51 View Post
My old Matthews Q2 is a 70# bow. I have it backed down using the bolts to 50#. Does just fine.
Thank you.I am hoping to get this bow down around 50 and over time maybe take it back up some.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:08 PM   #5
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

not sure of how you adjust the draw weight on your bow; but you can check your full draw weight with a set of bow scales; hook to the string and see the max draw weight before it breaks over.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
Oldfart
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
not sure of how you adjust the draw weight on your bow; but you can check your full draw weight with a set of bow scales; hook to the string and see the max draw weight before it breaks over.
Thanks!