Killing hornless axis bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing hornless axis bucks

Just wanting thoughts on the stupidity of doing this, I actually know someone that did this, as much as i hate to say. The guy sees nothing wrong with it. To top it off he killed it for the meat but blew out the front shoulders. This is just dumb to me. Thoughts

I wouldn’t do it, but if somebody else wants to, and not against lease rules, knock yourself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky freak View Post
      Just wanting thoughts on the stupidity of doing this, I actually know someone that did this, as much as i hate to say. The guy sees nothing wrong with it. To top it off he killed it for the meat but blew out the front shoulders. This is just dumb to me. Thoughts
      We do it on occasion. We just have too many axis. Not everybody is hunting for a trophy.

Comment

Did he kill the buck on your lease, or his?

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with killing one without horns. They eat good with or without horns. Blowing out the shoulders kinda sucks but he is the one eating it.

Comment

Good food with or without the horns.

Comment

Every deer I've killed was for the meat

Comment

Not mine, I know it's legal. I just can't see the point in it

Comment

Not mine, I know it's legal. I just can't see the point in it
                  On our lease, we each get 1 axis buck. If a guy wanted to kill a buck that had already shed his antlers, it would count as his buck just the same as if it had the biggest antlers on the place still attached to his head.

If a guy on somebody else's lease wants to shoot a bald buck just for the meat, more power to him. It's still great meat - and still a pretty hide to tan, if he wants that too. I wouldn't do it, personally. I definitely want the meat, but I want the antlers too. But whatever floats the guy's boat.

Comment

Not everybody hunts for antlers, plus I think the bucks make nicer rugs than the does. If the fronts weren't completely bloodshot or they only took selective cuts like the straps, then I'd see a problem with that.

Comment

Not me. They eat the same and alot more meat than a doe but I wouldn't do it or allow it on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        On our lease, we each get 1 axis buck. If a guy wanted to kill a buck that had already shed his antlers, it would count as his buck just the same as if it had the biggest antlers on the place still attached to his head.

If a guy on somebody else's lease wants to shoot a bald buck just for the meat, more power to him. It's still great meat - and still a pretty hide to tan, if he wants that too. I wouldn't do it, personally. I definitely want the meat, but I want the antlers too. But whatever floats the guy's boat.
                        What he said

Comment

I'd put it in the none of my business category and keep living life.

Comment

Can't eat the antlers. I hunt for meat. If it has a huge rack, bonus, but like I said, the antlers don't feed my family. To each his/her own

Comment

I bet the backstraps and hamburger is just as good. Done it before and would not hesitate to do it again. I’ve shot them at night also

Comment

Working...
                              X