No announcement yet.

Age this buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the first one is probably 1.5yrs old also.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      Yep. I won't shoot him, but I bet one of the neighbors do.

Rick
      Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
      I'd guess that to be a genetically superior year and half old. I wish I had a mess of those running around on my place.

A few years back we had a 2 year old that was a perfect 10pt and scored around 115". He was promptly shot by the neighbor...………..
      Thus the reason we fence.

Gary

Comment

Well, we'll never know what he "could/would have been".

Neighbor bordering me on the south killed him this afternoon.

Hopefully he spread some of them genetics before he got blasted.

Rick

Comment

Dammit

Gary

Comment

Rick
            Are y’all not under antler restrictions???

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
              Are y’all not under antler restrictions???
              No, but I wish we were.

I would like to see Jones county go back to a one buck one doe limit, or at least that limit in a south zone.

The are a couple of pockets of good deer numbers in the county, but only a couple, and it seems like they set the county limits by those pockets.

It ridiculous.

Rick

Comment

Killing little bucks like that is so dumb. They are ignorant and easy as hell to kill. I see trad pages with hundreds of 1.5 year old bucks killed and I just shake my head. I could kill a 1.5 year old buck with a baseball bat at my feeders lol. I hated antler restrictions at first and still don’t love them but little yearlings at least get a pass. I doubt if he bred many does unless you are just buck poor over there he was too busy getting run off I bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with #22. Why would you possibly shoot this buck? If your lease partners are shooting deer this small, they should be educated in remedial game management.

Comment

Why not just shoot a doe? Not much excitement killing that.

Comment

Rick

Man that has to be frustrating.

Comment

I agree Rick. We have several deer over in our area but our neighbors are the fill all tags sort. Not saying I won't but i will them from different counties. Can't wait til we finish our fence.

Gary
                        Last edited by DRT; 11-15-2018, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Same neighbor shot a yearling 6 point last year, and claimed he was a 7 year old. LOL
                          Yeah, I knew/know better, and he knows I do, but it is what it is.

Gary, it don't make much sense (to me) to high fence only 40 acres.

Rick

Comment

Man, that sucks. Even at 3.5 yo it woulda been a stud.

Comment

Dang Rick. Just when you get a good young-un.
                              I am most definitely the fill my tags guy, but I do it mostly on doe and I am blessed to hunt a few counties where there are large herds. One place I get to hunt has a lot of really nice 3 and 4 yr old deer. Neighbors blast the heck out of them. It's hard to disagree with at 4, but IF your population has a solid mature buck herd (5+), don't shoot young and let it fully express. We do shoot some young bucks, but when you have a series of 10 pt 3's and then a narrow 6 (like my avatar pic) steps in. He gets eaten.

We eat a good bit of deer meat, it's preferred in my household, but even then you have to be conscious about your take.
                              Rick, any chance this neighbor can be educated at all? From the above post it doesn't sound likely??

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
                                Rick, any chance this neighbor can be educated at all? From the above post it doesn't sound likely??
                                Nope.

I've tried, but as an example:
                                When someone tries to pass off a 2 year old 6 point buck as a 7 year old declining buck, then you know you are fighting a losing battle.

Like I said, it is what it is. Nothing I can do about it.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X