Removing Sheetrock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Sheetrock?

What is the best way to remove sheetrock from the walls and the ceiling? We are going to gut a house and start over moving a few walls and adding about a 1,000 sq ft. to the house. Is there a better fast way than just using a hammer and having a thousand small pcs. to pick up?

cut it out with a multi tool or sawzaw

Comment

if its a total gut I'd think you could even consider setting a skill saw to 3/8" and ripping it out that way... I'd personally roll sawzaw and multi tool tho

Comment

I can't speak to the best way to remove but I can tell you to cover everything else remaining. Floors, counters, cabinets, etc. Drywall dust gets airborne and after it falls the humidity makes it stick like glue. I'm from the flooring industry and had many calls from frustrated consumers trying to remove the white haze it creates.

Comment

It will make a mess no matter how hard you try. Way faster to just knock it all out and then clean up one time.

Comment

Rip it down and clean it up. There is no shortcut.

Comment

If it was put up properly and you have 5 on a side and 3 in the field, it will come out in 2'x2' pieces. just grab and pull, it will make a big pile. These remodel shows where it comes out in 4 foot chunks drive me crazy. Just tear it out and clean up the mess!!!

Comment

throw your kids against it so you break it up in larger chunks

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                  Rip it down and clean it up. There is no shortcut.
                  True statement.

Comment

Get a good magnet to locate all the nails and pull them out. You can get the full sheet out that way. If the rock was put up with screws, better yet.

Comment

3 mexicans,two 3' crowbars and one 10lb sledge .

Comment

Get a 30 yard can and a couple teenagers and some hammers. Get a ceiling hook from the local firehouse to pull the ceilings.

Comment

If you want to keep the dust down and get the ceiling on the floor use a garden hose in the attic. It will flatten the insulation and drop everything to the floor.

Give it a good soak and it will come down on it's own.

edit: This is a serious post.
                          I learned this method when me and a buddy stripped his roof off his house for a reroof and a storm blew the tarps off the house overnight. He had wall to wall ceiling.
                          Last edited by GA Bowhunter; 08-15-2019, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Drill a small hole, spray starter fluid in the bays, an touch it off.
                            In theory the sheetrock should be weaker than the exterior, and it will softly blow inwards, allowing you to remove almost whole sheets.

Comment

Hammer saw works great

Comment

Working...
                              X