Questions- private land hunting in Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions- private land hunting in Colorado

Just as the title says. I have a buddy who has a ranch just south of Norwood in Unit 70. He does not hunt it. What would he or I need to do for me to hunt it? Landowner tags? Just otc tags and get after it? I’ve researched it online and it is clear as mid to me. Anyone have answers. Btw-Both of us live in Texas.

I would call fish and game up there to get clarity on the issue. How many acres he have? It isn't like down here where 100 acres is enough to hunt on. You really have to have a bunch to really have a chance at actually killing something.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Tags and permission to hunt it.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
        Just as the title says. I have a buddy who has a ranch just south of Norwood in Unit 70. He does not hunt it. What would he or I need to do for me to hunt it? Landowner tags? Just otc tags and get after it? I’ve researched it online and it is clear as mid to me. Anyone have answers. Btw-Both of us live in Texas.
        Over the counter either sex tags for that unit will be good on both public and private during archery season. Over the counter bull tags will be good for that unit for 2nd and 3rd rifle.

If he has a bunch of elk, then you also need me to come help you.
        Last edited by El General; 11-12-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I fell into a similar situation recently. Guys has 1,100 family acres in Colorado unit 81. I have never hunted NM or Colorado and am also looking for some advice. We are going to try to hunt it next year. Should I try the rut with a bow and hope to call em in close, or try the 2nd rifle and only need to get within 6-700 yards of em?

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
            I fell into a similar situation recently. Guys has 1,100 family acres in Colorado unit 81. I have never hunted NM or Colorado and am also looking for some advice. We are going to try to hunt it next year. Should I try the rut with a bow and hope to call em in close, or try the 2nd rifle and only need to get within 6-700 yards of em?
            Is the ranch good winter range? If so, going in rifle season might pay off.

Is it close to public land? If so, hunting pressure might push elk on to it during archery season.

Either way, I'd evaluate public land in the unit for options if the ranch isn't holding elk. Go out next summer and scout it.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              I would call fish and game up there to get clarity on the issue. How many acres he have? It isn't like down here where 100 acres is enough to hunt on. You really have to have a bunch to really have a chance at actually killing something.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
              It’s a little over 1600 acres. Adjoins the Uncompahgre National Forest

Comment

Ive got to get me some better friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
                  Ive got to get me some better friends.
                  no ish.

Comment

If it's an otc unit buy a tag go hunt. If it's a draw then you know what you have to do. If landowner wants to apply for landowner tags he has to take part in that program to get what y'all need to hunt.
                    Have fun above all.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      Is the ranch good winter range? If so, going in rifle season might pay off.

Is it close to public land? If so, hunting pressure might push elk on to it during archery season.

Either way, I'd evaluate public land in the unit for options if the ranch isn't holding elk. Go out next summer and scout it.
                      Ive been there a couple times in the summer. Always see mule deer and some are pretty decent. It’s what I would consider the flatlands right before going up to 10-13K feet mountains. The ranch manager says the elk winter there but no idea when they show up.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                        Ive been there a couple times in the summer. Always see mule deer and some are pretty decent. It’s what I would consider the flatlands right before going up to 10-13K feet mountains. The ranch manager says the elk winter there but no idea when they show up.
                        Generally, they will show up on winter range after a good snow in the high country. If there is enough hunting pressure on the public, they might show up before that.

Comment

I think with 140 acres a land owner can get a tag. Don't quote me on that. Then it jumps up to higher acreage to get a second. Like said before if you can get OTC tag for elk you can hunt but Mule Deer are almost all draw.

Comment

When they show up will depend on a number of factors such as snow fall in the high country as well as hunting pressure which can push them down onto private.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                              I think with 140 acres a land owner can get a tag. Don't quote me on that. Then it jumps up to higher acreage to get a second. Like said before if you can get OTC tag for elk you can hunt but Mule Deer are almost all draw.
                              Way I understand it all of Colorado is draw for deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X