No announcement yet.

“Antlers86” 2019 LIVE thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question that I’ve been rolling around on buck #2...making an assumption on the video based on the number and caliber of bucks in it, I’m assuming buck 2 was in a high fence setting. Where I am going with this is since it is fenced (again I’m assuming), don’t you have a somewhat confined area he could be in? Would it do any good to start searching a grid pattern? Is there a ranch hand that is on the property often that can look for buzzards?

Very unfortunate this happened, both are very nice deer

Comment

I have shot three animals with Slick Tricks. Two does, perfect shots, but were very hard tracks due to no blood. Found both. Third, lol, well, he (nubbin buck) was an innocent bystander and my arrow went through the doe and hit him in the head, bounced out. Stone dead.

I don't plan on shooting Slick Tricks again because of poor blood trails.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
        Question that I’ve been rolling around on buck #2...making an assumption on the video based on the number and caliber of bucks in it, I’m assuming buck 2 was in a high fence setting. Where I am going with this is since it is fenced (again I’m assuming), don’t you have a somewhat confined area he could be in? Would it do any good to start searching a grid pattern? Is there a ranch hand that is on the property often that can look for buzzards?

Very unfortunate this happened, both are very nice deer
        Yes it is HF. 400+ acres and thick. We did a grid search over 2 big areas of woods where he should have died. There are 2 long roads splitting the wooded areas and a creek with beaver ponds dividing it all. The mistake that we made was doing the grid search before calling a dog. Everything we did was backwards. On Sunday when I smelled the arrow and Rick did it wasn’t good but in my mind location of shot was good. We walked to where the buck stood for a few minutes and no sign of blood. Eased in on trail he took for 100yds and still no deer. We backed out and went to the house to watch the shot again. This is where I messed up. Video to me was dead deer all day long. We quickly decided let it lay overnight worst case liver and he would die within 4 hrs. Recover the next morning and be good. Well we started grid search and didn’t find him anywhere. Doing so tracked scent all through the woods giving a dang good dog no chance to really follow anything. We then took the dog on the 2 roads to see possibly if the buck crossed them and again it didn’t help that I had searched those as well tracking more scent everywhere. There was zero wind and a huge shot in the dark at this point for a dog but we tried. Instead of it being out last resort we should have put the dog first and we would have found this deer.

Last resort for any hunter should be grid search and buzzards! I learned a lot from this mistake and can guarantee you I will be calling Dustin again for any advice, help or in need of a dog. Great guy and glad to have met him.

I spoke with 5 Trackers yesterday and all were friendly and full of advice. Anytime you question your shot give one a call and just talk with them. They will tell you what to do and what order to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
          Yes it is HF. 400+ acres and thick. We did a grid search over 2 big areas of woods where he should have died. There are 2 long roads splitting the wooded areas and a creek with beaver ponds dividing it all. The mistake that we made was doing the grid search before calling a dog. Everything we did was backwards. On Sunday when I smelled the arrow and Rick did it wasn’t good but in my mind location of shot was good. We walked to where the buck stood for a few minutes and no sign of blood. Eased in on trail he took for 100yds and still no deer. We backed out and went to the house to watch the shot again. This is where I messed up. Video to me was dead deer all day long. We quickly decided let it lay overnight worst case liver and he would die within 4 hrs. Recover the next morning and be good. Well we started grid search and didn’t find him anywhere. Doing so tracked scent all through the woods giving a dang good dog no chance to really follow anything. We then took the dog on the 2 roads to see possibly if the buck crossed them and again it didn’t help that I had searched those as well tracking more scent everywhere. There was zero wind and a huge shot in the dark at this point for a dog but we tried. Instead of it being out last resort we should have put the dog first and we would have found this deer.

Last resort for any hunter should be grid search and buzzards! I learned a lot from this mistake and can guarantee you I will be calling Dustin again for any advice, help or in need of a dog. Great guy and glad to have met him.

I spoke with 5 Trackers yesterday and all were friendly and full of advice. Anytime you question your shot give one a call and just talk with them. They will tell you what to do and what order to do things.
          I think I read earlier where you said he may be in water? Is it water that you could put a little boat in and drag the bottom? Or heck, get in there and try to find him.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
            I think I read earlier where you said he may be in water? Is it water that you could put a little boat in and drag the bottom? Or heck, get in there and try to find him.
            Swim with gators! It’s shallow 2’-3’

I’ve thought about a drone recommended by another member to see what we see from aerial.

Comment

Swim with gators! It’s shallow 2’-3’

I’ve thought about a drone recommended by another member to see what we see from aerial.
              Lol...how bad do you want that deer???

Drone or dragging the bottom out of a boat or just trolling in a boat looking (if water is clear enough).

Or you could just wait for buzzards or for him to float up soon if he is in water (unless a gator already cleaned him up for you.)

Comment

Good info.
                Go take the frustration out on the pigs!!
                Been thinking about getting another pup, might have to get one for blood tracking.

Comment

The Hunting Public just posted a video of a shot very similar to yours this weekend checkout the video they recovered the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
                    The Hunting Public just posted a video of a shot very similar to yours this weekend checkout the video they recovered the buck.
                    Ted’s shot was much more quartering away. If Jason’s deer was quartered that hard, I think he would have had the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                      Just scrolling the thread so I will figure out the outcome soon. But lack of blood trails is what made me never shoot another slick trick. There are guys who swear by them and after 5-6 animals with them I am not one of those people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      My experience has been the same. I've only seen 1 good blood trail with them out of several animals. Man what a crappy weekend for OP.

Comment

Just scrolling the thread so I will figure out the outcome soon. But lack of blood trails is what made me never shoot another slick trick. There are guys who swear by them and after 5-6 animals with them I am not one of those people

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        My experience has been the same. I've only seen 1 good blood trail with them out of several animals. Man what a crappy weekend for OP.
                        I agree, I’ve never seen that great of blood trails with them. Even with the grizz tricks

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                            I have shot three animals with Slick Tricks. Two does, perfect shots, but were very hard tracks due to no blood. Found both. Third, lol, well, he (nubbin buck) was an innocent bystander and my arrow went through the doe and hit him in the head, bounced out. Stone dead.

I don't plan on shooting Slick Tricks again because of poor blood trails.
                            Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                            I agree, I’ve never seen that great of blood trails with them. Even with the grizz tricks
                            Same experiences with me. After two deer (luckily I found them) I made a switch and haven’t had any issues since.

Comment

Dang, i love my slicktricks

Comment

Ive never had a broadhead Ive liked better like I was telling you tonight. No need to look for a blood trail when they fall in sight. Im a firm believer of these heads with prob 20 deer (and a bull elk) and who knows how many pigs since i switched 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X