Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS
Default Apple Event

So far, the Apple Watch "Ultra" is an outdoorsman's Dream come true, but the price plus the subscription are pretty steep.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

New AirPods seem like they have some decent features but are they worth the extra money? For those using or having a pair already are you going to upgrade??

I don’t have a pair so will probably be ordering this latest model. Thoughts from current air-pod users??
Pedernal is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #3
trophy8
Pope & Young

Tag
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #4
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

What''s an air pod?
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #5
ATI
Ten Point

The "All day battery life", the 1 TB Space and the incredible camera are worth it for me.
I still use an iPhone 6S and it's time for me to upgrade, this is the only reason I watched this event to see what the new iPhone 14 is all about.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

You guys buy all you can so my stock goes up
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #7
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
The "All day battery life", the 1 TB Space and the incredible camera are worth it for me.
I still use an iPhone 6S and it's time for me to upgrade, this is the only reason I watched this event to see what the new iPhone 14 is all about.
Did they finally upgrade the main camera to 48MP?
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #8
breederbuck33
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Did they finally upgrade the main camera to 48MP?
Yes. I went in there yesterday to get a new phone, and the guy told me to old on until the 14 came out because it was a decent step up from what he was hearing. The 48 mp camera in the deer blind is gonna be nice! lol I got an appointment to preorder mine tomorrow.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 08:30 PM   #9
texashunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell Co, San Saba Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
New AirPods seem like they have some decent features but are they worth the extra money? For those using or having a pair already are you going to upgrade??

I don’t have a pair so will probably be ordering this latest model. Thoughts from current air-pod users??
Bought a pair last spring to use on the plane. I love them, use em all the time. One of best apple products I have bought.
texashunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 08:41 PM   #10
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
What''s an air pod?
They are the wireless “mini headphones” that allow for taking phone calls amongst other things without holding your phone to your head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter View Post
Bought a pair last spring to use on the plane. I love them, use em all the time. One of best apple products I have bought.
Thanks for the info. What model do you have?
Old 09-07-2022, 08:49 PM   #11
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedernal View Post
They are the wireless “mini headphones” that allow for taking phone calls amongst other things without holding your phone to your head.

Thanks for the info. What model do you have?

I had the first model AirPods and hated them as they hurt my ears.

The airpod pros are noise canceling and very comfortable. Highly recommend as I use mine for everything from mowing, running, gym, calls etc…
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #12
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
Yes. I went in there yesterday to get a new phone, and the guy told me to old on until the 14 came out because it was a decent step up from what he was hearing. The 48 mp camera in the deer blind is gonna be nice! lol I got an appointment to preorder mine tomorrow.
Thanks. I finally got around to watching the hour and a half video.

Competition makes the world go round, that’s for sure. Build a better mousetrap….

Are the android phones already offering the satellite message for when you do not have a cell signal? That seems intriguing.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #13
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Thanks. I finally got around to watching the hour and a half video.

Competition makes the world go round, that’s for sure. Build a better mousetrap….

Are the android phones already offering the satellite message for when you do not have a cell signal? That seems intriguing.

That’s not uncommon. Apple usually isn’t the first with new technology. They wait 1-2 cycles and come out with their version which usually is an improved version of the original technology.

I’ll have to watch it see what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #14
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

The airpod pros are noise canceling and very comfortable. Highly recommend as I use mine for everything from mowing, running, gym, calls etc…
I bought some memory foam aftermarket tips for my AirPod Pros and when mowing the grass and listening to music I pretty much can’t hear the mower.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #15
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That’s not uncommon. Apple usually isn’t the first with new technology. They wait 1-2 cycles and come out with their version which usually is an improved version of the original technology.

I’ll have to watch it see what it’s all about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That is what I was wondering. Competition improves everyone.

I had never heard of using satellites with a smart phone for communication if out of cell range.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLuke View Post

Quote:
I bought some memory foam aftermarket tips for my AirPod Pros and when mowing the grass and listening to music I pretty much can’t hear the mower.
Great info fellas, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #17
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is what I was wondering. Competition improves everyone.

I had never heard of using satellites with a smart phone for communication if out of cell range.
This could be a game changer considering the possibilities of sending out gps coordinates when folks are lost. In addition to the text messages of course. RF technology is advancing by leaps and bounds .
Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #18
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I keep thinking the iPhone will catch up to the specs of the galaxy. Galaxy has had the 108mp camera out for years and the iPhone camera just isn't up to par and I've done multiple side by side tests. I really would consider switching back but this is one feature I don't like compromising on. Oh and can't stand the "notch" on the iPhone. I like the SOS feature they advertised for sure but I don't personally do deep woods expeditions.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 10:47 PM   #19
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
I keep thinking the iPhone will catch up to the specs of the galaxy. Galaxy has had the 108mp camera out for years and the iPhone camera just isn't up to par and I've done multiple side by side tests. I really would consider switching back but this is one feature I don't like compromising on. Oh and can't stand the "notch" on the iPhone. I like the SOS feature they advertised for sure but I don't personally do deep woods expeditions.

108MP?

I call horse hockey. Even the highest end digital SLR cameras don’t take pictures at that resolution and the sensors in them are wayyyyy better than anything you can stuff into a phone.

Not to mention even if the resolution were true, there’s no benefit to that many MP other than being able to upscale them for large format prints. They become just a memory hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 11:25 PM   #20
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sometimes specs are relatively meaningless. I have watched plenty of Samsung fanboy sites on YouTube and looking at raw numbers doesn’t show very much, if anything.

When tested head to head, iPhone being proprietary, outperforms Androids with “better” specs. Battery life alone is usually blown away by iPhone’s lower capacity batteries. In a head to head test I watched on a Samsung guy’s video, the S22 with a 5,000mAh battery is out performed by about 25% by the iPhone 13 Pro Max with a 4,325mAh battery. So while the S22 seems a clear winner in specs with an almost 20 larger capacity battery, i real life results don’t always match it. The much smaller iPhone battery runs about 25% longer.

While Samsung is trying valiantly to catch up, the iPhone video smokes the S22 which is the Samsung flagship model. The S22 however blows the iPhone away if you want to zoom in 30 times. The iPhone zoom at extreme ranges is lagging terribly so there is that for the Samsung.

So much for specs.

I don’t think an iPhone user will switch to a Samsung for a better (claimed) battery and I wouldn’t expect any Samsung user to switch the an iPhone because it simply gets blown away by a smaller battery.

Comparing raw specs however tells very little.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:16 AM   #21
ATI
Ten Point

it seems Apple concentrated on outdoor activities and safety a lot this time. The Apple Watch Ultra is virtually made for outdoorsmen.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #22
RRFishNHunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County & Edwards

Tag
RRFishNHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #23
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
it seems Apple concentrated on outdoor activities and safety a lot this time. The Apple Watch Ultra is virtually made for outdoorsmen.
I don’t have much use for the Ultra but it certainly looks like a great tool for some people. With one of my Apple Watch portable chargers I could stay in the field for a few weeks.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #24
CrownKiller14
Four Point

$800 for a first gen outdoor watch. As with any other apple products its for the masses, and hipsters that venture out on hikes. I would wait till there's some real life reviews.

Personally for that price I'd get a Garmin Fenix 7 Solar.
CrownKiller14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #25
JhuntsAlot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breederbuck33 View Post
Are they still nailing down the specs? The website for iPhone 14 specs shows to only have a 12MP main camera and max storage of 512GB.

Just wondering if the guy had info not out there.?.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #26
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

I need to look those up since the Apple tips won’t stay in my ears.

Link??
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #27
TA_Fab
Eight Point

I was given a set of airpod pros and while they were nice I could not get them to stay in my ear even when not moving. I think I’ll try the Beats fit pro as it doesn’t look like apple changed the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:03 AM   #28
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_Fab View Post
I was given a set of airpod pros and while they were nice I could not get them to stay in my ear even when not moving. I think I’ll try the Beats fit pro as it doesn’t look like apple changed the fit.

I have the same problem. I bought the "JLabs" sports earbuds. Good sound and they have this thing that goes behind your ear and helps it stay. Good for jogging and biking, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/JLab-Air-Spor...33952623&psc=1
Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #29
bignick612
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
Are they still nailing down the specs? The website for iPhone 14 specs shows to only have a 12MP main camera and max storage of 512GB.

J
I believe just the 14 pro models will have the 48mp camera.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #30
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Everybody in my family have iPhone 13 Pro Max phones. I have a Galaxy S21 Ultra (not the S22). They're all really nice phones. My battery lasts longer than my wife's iPhone, and I stream video (YouTube elk hunts lately) while she's just scrolling social media mostly. I use way more data than she does. The iPhone's camera is really good, but my S21's camera is better with still photos. Video is better on the iPhone. Google Maps is better than Apple Maps. Where the iPhone outdoes Samsung is in the various communication capabilities. iMessage is pretty cool. Android messaging is very nice in a lot of ways too, but there are some really cool capabilities with iMessage that nobody else has yet. And it only works on iMessage on Apple products.

We have our first grandbaby on the way in December, and there will be lots of photos, live videos, and family messages flying around. I'll probably be getting an iPhone 14 soon, just for all of that communication stuff with the rest of my family. I've been an Android guy forever. Never liked Apple and all of their forced proprietary stuff. But live grandbaby videos are a draw for sure.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #31
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
Sometimes specs are relatively meaningless. I have watched plenty of Samsung fanboy sites on YouTube and looking at raw numbers doesn’t show very much, if anything.

When tested head to head, iPhone being proprietary, outperforms Androids with “better” specs. Battery life alone is usually blown away by iPhone’s lower capacity batteries. In a head to head test I watched on a Samsung guy’s video, the S22 with a 5,000mAh battery is out performed by about 25% by the iPhone 13 Pro Max with a 4,325mAh battery. So while the S22 seems a clear winner in specs with an almost 20 larger capacity battery, i real life results don’t always match it. The much smaller iPhone battery runs about 25% longer.

While Samsung is trying valiantly to catch up, the iPhone video smokes the S22 which is the Samsung flagship model. The S22 however blows the iPhone away if you want to zoom in 30 times. The iPhone zoom at extreme ranges is lagging terribly so there is that for the Samsung.

So much for specs.

I don’t think an iPhone user will switch to a Samsung for a better (claimed) battery and I wouldn’t expect any Samsung user to switch the an iPhone because it simply gets blown away by a smaller battery.

Comparing raw specs however tells very little.
That's why I always take pictures side by side with my galaxy and friends newest iPhone (see my full commment). Specs aside the galaxy takes better pictures especially in low light. I agree paper specs only go so far. Zoom is noticeably better on my galaxy in head to head. I really do want to switch back to iPhone for some features but just haven't been able to prove cameras are better. Not trying to start a fight!
Old 09-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #32
bignick612
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Everybody in my family have iPhone 13 Pro Max phones. I have a Galaxy S21 Ultra (not the S22). They're all really nice phones. My battery lasts longer than my wife's iPhone, and I stream video (YouTube elk hunts lately) while she's just scrolling social media mostly. I use way more data than she does. The iPhone's camera is really good, but my S21's camera is better with still photos. Video is better on the iPhone. Google Maps is better than Apple Maps. Where the iPhone outdoes Samsung is in the various communication capabilities. iMessage is pretty cool. Android messaging is very nice in a lot of ways too, but there are some really cool capabilities with iMessage that nobody else has yet. And it only works on iMessage on Apple products.

We have our first grandbaby on the way in December, and there will be lots of photos, live videos, and family messages flying around. I'll probably be getting an iPhone 14 soon, just for all of that communication stuff with the rest of my family. I've been an Android guy forever. Never liked Apple and all of their forced proprietary stuff. But live grandbaby videos are a draw for sure.
I have been a galaxy guy for as long as I can remember. Currently have an s20 ultra but I will be getting a 14 pro. The biggest draw for me is imessage and facetime.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #33
Pedernal
Pope & Young

I recently heard that Apple has more then 50% of the global phone market. They are doing something right. That’s significantly more than just fan boys purchasing their phones. I am not saying that other companies don’t have great phones. Samsung is right up there with Apple.

I don’t believe most folks buy a phone for the camera features. Obviously some do. Additionally, others really like the none proprietary software that makes more apps possible and available much sooner. This is where Samsung out shines Apple. Both have equally good products and all we have to do is figure out which is a better fit for our individual needs.

The great thing about all the competition is that those competitors are constantly improving on their product.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:18 PM   #34
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
I need to look those up since the Apple tips won’t stay in my ears.

Link??
I use these. There are a few other brands and most run about the same reviews. Typically it is about 80% of comments with 4-5 stars. Some are up to about twice the price but have the same ratings.

Lanwow Premium Memory Foam Tips for AirPods Pro. No Silicone Eartips Pain. Anti-Slip Eartips. Fit in The Charging Case, 3 Pairs (S/M/L, Black) https://a.co/d/2d8PSV7
Old 09-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #35
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:

J
They aren’t nailing it down and are getting ready to ship in a few days.

You are looking at the difference between standard and Pro models. More money buys you more features. The 14 Pro and larger 14 Pro Max have higher specs.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #36
JhuntsAlot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Houston County, Madison County, Kendall County, where friends are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick612 View Post
I believe just the 14 pro models will have the 48mp camera.
Ok, I see it now.

I was looking at the 14 and 14 Plus specs.

J
JhuntsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2022, 11:46 AM   #37
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Ok, I see it now.

I was looking at the 14 and 14 Plus specs.

J

Also the two higher end models will have the "A-16" Chip, which is an upgrade over the "A-15" chip. The A-15 chip on it's own is one HECK of a chip.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #38
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Battery life on the apple watch ultra still sucks compared to my Garmin. Loved my apple watch when I had one. Then I accidentally dropped it and broke the screen so I decided to replace it with a Garmin watch. I like the features of the apple watch but the battery life is a deal breaker. I can wear my Garmin watch for dang near 2 weeks without charging it. Even this new apple watch is only 36 hours.
Gclyde28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #39
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Quote:
That's why I always take pictures side by side with my galaxy and friends newest iPhone (see my full commment). Specs aside the galaxy takes better pictures especially in low light. I agree paper specs only go so far. Zoom is noticeably better on my galaxy in head to head. I really do want to switch back to iPhone for some features but just haven't been able to prove cameras are better. Not trying to start a fight!
Here is a photo I snapped last night. Just a beautiful moon. Full zoom.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #40
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

My wife wants the IPhone 14 pro max. I’m waiting for the 15 to come out, the word on the street is it will come with a 6x zoom.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #41
TxHunter101
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignick612 View Post
I have been a galaxy guy for as long as I can remember. Currently have an s20 ultra but I will be getting a 14 pro. The biggest draw for me is imessage and facetime.
I've been Android guy since day 1 of cell phone starting back with Houston Cellular if anyone still remembers them.
Last year, I gave in and switched over to iPhone 13 Pro Max because:
1) I got a super good deal for it at BestBuy (paid like $400).
2) Everyone else in my family, relatives already used iPhone.
3) Last but most important reason is iMessages and facetime with my kids in college.
So far I've been content with the iPhone 13Pro Max and Airpod Pro. Perfect match.
As far as iPhone 14Pro Max? I think I just hold off cuz I'm not the kind of guy that keep changing phone every year and I notice that Apple changes their phone model every year.
TxHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #42
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_Fab View Post

Twist them as you’re putting them in your ear and they will stay. I use mine running equipment and never have a problem now after learning the trick!

justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:00 PM   #43
chongo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I ordered the AW Ultra. I'm intrigued. I prefer the software and UX of Apple watches vs Garmin but the battery life on my Fenix 6x Pro is significantly longer and it's amazingly durable. I've beat the hell out of my Garmin. I'll try the Ultra and see how the battery life fits my day to day and then decide whether or not to return it.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #44
tvc184
Pope & Young

I don’t know how much people use their watches but I have an Apple Watch 6 (city retirement watch) with GPS and its own phone number and I can get about three days easy. I don’t use it like my cell phone but I can read messages, make phone calls, control some things on my iPhone etc. I don’t have a problem putting it on a charger every couple of nights. My cell phone certainly does not last for two weeks or even a week and I have no problem charging it.