Lavaca County turkey opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lavaca County turkey opener

We are blessed (or cursed if you hate them during deer season ) with a really good turkey population in our part of the county. While the past two seasons have been more bust than boom (early rut ), the wet springs have added birds to all time highs.

We started Friday evening. I saw gobblers on Neighbor’s shading but they didn’t respond to my calls. We did call in 5 gobblers but the high winds seemed to spook them and they stalled too at about 200 yards. We quickly changed locations to cut distance. After getting settled in I called and they responded hot and quickly came in on top of us (hiding in brush , so I switched kendra over from bow to shotgun ). All mature Tom’s. Unfortunately they were on top of each other and kendra get comfortable taking shot over fear of shooting more than one. Now on to us they got away from us before she could decide to shoot.

We called in a day early and joined
    In the family fish fry , knowing we would be hunting all weekend.

Saturday morning was good as we had birds responding from roof. Again I brought in 5 inside 20 yards , but these were all jakes.

We didn’t hunt Saturday evening , but hit them again Sunday early. Again birds , positively responding as first had gobblers at 100 yards chirping all, morning. Two hens came in next and slid off behind us. Between the hens and constantly chirping gobblers to me west , we welcome 2 mature Tom’s and a Jake that couldn’t stand the competition.

Brought them in hot and kendra smoked one of the two mature birds. 23 lbs (22 lbs from 2009 had been our heaviest bird) identical spurs at 1 2/8 and a 9 inch beard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Awesome birds! Congratulations!

Comment

Awesome! I need to get serious this year and try to get one of those Lavaca County birds.

Comment

Congrats! Headed to Goliad this weekend!

Comment

That’s awesome. I’m taking a good friend of mine to Shiner on Thursday to hunt, hopefully he can get a shot at one of them.

Comment

I have never been a turkey hunter ,but do enjoy seeing them. Our family land where I grew up was near Sweet Home off of FM 318. Never really saw any turkey EXCEPT in the spring right around the start of the season. Anyway, drove by the homestead last Saturday and saw a wild turkey. Cool to see them.

Comment

It would be hard beat those hunts anywhere. Congrats to you both on a great bird

Comment

Attagirl, Kendra!!!

Comment

Heck yes !

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations, nice shooting.

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations

Comment

Greatness. Congrats on the Gobble Chicken.

Comment

Congrats Gary, the birds I've hunted on the Lavaca River for years are scattered this year so I haven't hunted.

Hopefully they group up my way before season runs out.

Comment

Working...
                              X