Timed protein feeder questions.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed protein feeder questions.....

I just got a All Season timed protein feeder and have some questions.

1) How far is the spinner plate supposed to be from the bottom of the bottom of the hopper? Mine is about an 1 1/4” which seems like a really big gap which would spin a lot of feed in just a couple seconds. My corn feeders I set the plate about a half an inch from the funnel and feed around 15 seconds.

2) How much feed to you feed at a time? I know this will very by location and deer population and how much they eat. I also know this changes through the year. So how do you know how long to set it. Let’s say they are hammering it hard so you have it turned up. Now it’s a month before you go back and they cut back on how much they are eating and the troughs fill up with feed and starts back up. Will it eventually just dump over the sides or will it back all the way up to the spinner plate and plug up causing a big mess?

3) any tips on getting started with this thing. I assume it’s best to mix corn with the protein in the beginning?

I raise up the spinner on my all season timed protein as far up as it will go and still allow the screw to catch on the motor shaft. Others words a small gap.
    If that gap is too big it will empty out real quick.
    It was driving me crazy because it was hard to figure out why it was always emptying so soon. Lol

Yes…I’d start with a good corn/protein mix. Also only run a few times a day at like 2 secs or something till they get on it and consuming it all. Others wise it’ll stack up too fast on the start up.
    Last edited by Bone Thug; 12-01-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

On a side note. I absolutely love mine. I’m a big fan of it.

Comment

How do you get to the spinner ?
        I assume this is the one y’all have ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brownwdbwhunter View Post
          I assume this is the one y’all have
          Yes that’s it. There is a metal plate on the bottom that is removable where the motor is.

Comment

Ok thanks !
            I just bought one and haven’t put it out yet

Comment

Mine has worked great for the last two years. I run protein through it most of the time. I will add corn to it during the season. Have never messed with the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by brownwdbwhunter View Post
                I assume this is the one y’all have ?

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                Yes that’s it. There is a metal plate on the bottom that is removable where the motor is.
                Yes. Like ColinR said it’s located underneath. There’s two wing nuts that hold the cover and the motor plate. Be ready…They both drop when you get the wing it’s off.

Comment

I have two and love them. I spin for 3 sec in the morning and 3 in the evening.....and it easily fills the trays and then some. I'll go 4 & 4 and 5 & 5 in the late winter and then in the summer when they sanding in line and are hitting it hard normally. I'm not interested in a 10-15 second throw like a corn feeder because I'm not using it as a dinner bell. I don't need loud and hard against the inside so it breaks up the pellets. I just want it to fill the trays in full pieces so it stays in the trays. The corn spinner next to it will "call them in".

My ASF protein timer is set on low so it doesn't break the pellets up and I can spin a little longer. You also need to get to know your deer. Set it at a safe rate like 3 and 3 and see how they hit it. The inside hopper holds 75lbs before it gets up to the spinner so you want the deer clearing off most of what your feed daily(or the coons at night). Get a feel for it and set it so they clean it up. You don't want to over feed and fill up that hopper. Now if you live close you have a little more leeway and you can go clean out the hopper and put it back in the top. I'm 5 hours away so I have to be a little more conservative with my amounts..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8462.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24670093

Name:	00IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	24670094

Name:	000Slacker feeder1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	24670095

This was my initial fill where I added some corn to get them started. I wish I would have started this with empty trays but you can get an idea for what it put out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KIVafFP_1A"]All Seasons Timed Protein - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    I have two and love them. I spin for 3 sec in the morning and 3 in the evening.....and it easily fills the trays and then some. I'll go 4 & 4 and 5 & 5 in the late winter and then in the summer when they sanding in line and are hitting it hard normally. I'm not interested in a 10-15 second throw like a corn feeder because I'm not using it as a dinner bell. I don't need loud and hard against the inside so it breaks up the pellets. I just want it to fill the trays in full pieces so it stays in the trays. The corn spinner next to it will "call them in".

My ASF protein timer is set on low so it doesn't break the pellets up and I can spin a little longer. You also need to get to know your deer. Set it at a safe rate like 3 and 3 and see how they hit it. The inside hopper holds 75lbs before it gets up to the spinner so you want the deer clearing off most of what your feed daily(or the coons at night). Get a feel for it and set it so they clean it up. You don't want to over feed and fill up that hopper. Now if you live close you have a little more leeway and you can go clean out the hopper and put it back in the top. I'm 5 hours away so I have to be a little more conservative with my amounts..

[ATTACH]1072505[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1072506[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1072507[/ATTACH]

This was my initial fill where I added some corn to get them started. I wish I would have started this with empty trays but you can get an idea for what it put out.

All Seasons Timed Protein - YouTube
                    Thank you. This is great info. And yea that totally makes since to just feed a few second and not have everything banging against the sides breaking everything into little pieces.

I gotta get a pen built before I can put it out to keep the cows off of it but I hope to get it going soon so I can see how they do while I'm still going most weekends. After season I'm typically only there once a month if that.

Comment

This was my first year to use one of these and it was a real game changer. I don't think you can, and would go broke trying to actually effect antler growth on a free range herd. I use it as an attractant only, along with a broadcast corn feeder. I did not adjust anything. All Seasons will let you know about how many lbs per second you will feed on the different power settings. I pulled in some great bucks and killed one. This is in the panhandle where they hit feeders pretty hard when putting on horns and pre rut. I let it cycle for 8 seconds, once per day at sun up. No coon issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbap View Post
                        This was my first year to use one of these and it was a real game changer. I don't think you can, and would go broke trying to actually effect antler growth on a free range herd. I use it as an attractant only, along with a broadcast corn feeder. I did not adjust anything. All Seasons will let you know about how many lbs per second you will feed on the different power settings. I pulled in some great bucks and killed one. This is in the panhandle where they hit feeders pretty hard when putting on horns and pre rut. I let it cycle for 8 seconds, once per day at sun up. No coon issues at all.
                        Thanks. I too am just planning to use it to attract and hold axis, not affect antler growth.

Comment

I’m spinning 6 seconds AM and 3 seconds PM as an attractant. I have not adjusted the plate from when it was bought new. Mine came with the Timer, not the ASF timer. The above settings feed 75lbs per week.

Comment

Working...
                          X