5.7 Hemi oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.7 Hemi oil question

I run Mobile 1 Extended full synthetic 10w30 in my 2012 5.7 Hemi. The manual calls for 5w20. But I figured since its hot here, I'd go a little heavier. Is this gonna ruin something? What say ye? Is this safe?

I have a 2003 and have used 10w30 exclusively. No problems. 195,000 miles

Comment

I put 198,000 on my 2003 5.7 running 10w-30 without issues. Traded it in Dec and got a new dodge with the 5.7. Will do the same thing.

Comment

Dual weight oil is a little different. Your probably thinking run thicker oil cause its hotter and it will be thinner. Not true on the dual weight. It gets thicker as it gets hot.

Answer this, do you run 87 or 89 octane?

Comment

I know this don't help, but I got a 2014 5.7 Hemi. I only got 2,800 miles on it. When should I change the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Brooks View Post
            Dual weight oil is a little different. Your probably thinking run thicker oil cause its hotter and it will be thinner. Not true on the dual weight. It gets thicker as it gets hot.

Answer this, do you run 87 or 89 octane?

Mostly 87

Comment

Some use thinner because of the clearance of the internal parts

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter45 View Post
                I know this don't help, but I got a 2014 5.7 Hemi. I only got 2,800 miles on it. When should I change the oil?
                lol in 200 miles

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                  Mostly 87
                  Just wondering some people get hung up on the 87-89 octane deal. I have been told that manufacturers are running the 5w20 to help with mileage. You probably won't see a difference but its one way they can improve their EPA numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSuperDad View Post
                    lol in 200 miles
                    I have a 2014 dodge as well, the digital gage tells me when to change the oil. At 3,500 miles so far I still have 75% oil life. I'll change it once it gets down to the twenties

Comment

Originally posted by TxSuperDad View Post
                      lol in 200 miles

he's got longer than that, look at the manual. . I ran 7500 miles on my first oil change and took it to the dealer. They asked if it was the first and I said yes. They bout fell out and said it's gotta be done at 3k. I said check the manual fellas it says 8k. I do mine now a days at ~4k but I'm on about 6500 right now and need to get in. Bad thing is the oil still looks fresh at 4k so I don't usually worry if I'm a little behind on it.

Comment

can't go by looks of the oil

Comment

I have the 2014 also as a work truck. I have about 5500 miles now I have sent of a couple samples. Should have some data soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                            I have the 2014 also as a work truck. I have about 5500 miles now I have sent of a couple samples. Should have some data soon.
                            Can ya elaborate on sending samples in? Where, why, cost, how? I've seen this mentioned a couple times but I know nothing about it. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                              Can ya elaborate on sending samples in? Where, why, cost, how? I've seen this mentioned a couple times but I know nothing about it. Thanks
                              If u wanna do it all ur self. That's the way to go. Keep records and stay on top of it.
                              Other than that just change on regular basis.
                              We suggest at my shop 3 to 5 on standard oil, 7 to 10 on full synthetic. On gasoline engines.
                              5 to 7 and 15 to 25 respectively on diesel.

My amsoil customers avg about out at about 17k for diesels

Comment

Working...
                              X