No announcement yet.

Add a cabin and tax increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went through a round of questions earlier this year with appraisal office. This is what I was told, not saying this applies anywhere else, just what I was told. The travel trailer was not being taxed, sea container will be taxed as a barn/structure. Two small sheds that were leaning/falling over were being taxed due to them still standing. They both were worthless and removed and cleared from appraisal files. A shed (3 sides) just big enough to fit a four-wheeler with plywood walls and a tin roof will be taxed (provides shade only). House from 1921 will be taxed which is not a problem, just the amount was the issue. I invited them out to have an evening by the fire and they could stay in the house, that was a hard NO I asked when the last time they had been out to the property. No clue was the answer which I expected, no problem!! One thing they did tell me was anything that had a top/roof was going to be taxed, even if it was a carport.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfeathers View Post
      Went through a round of questions earlier this year with appraisal office. This is what I was told, not saying this applies anywhere else, just what I was told. The travel trailer was not being taxed, sea container will be taxed as a barn/structure. Two small sheds that were leaning/falling over were being taxed due to them still standing. They both were worthless and removed and cleared from appraisal files. A shed (3 sides) just big enough to fit a four-wheeler with plywood walls and a tin roof will be taxed (provides shade only). House from 1921 will be taxed which is not a problem, just the amount was the issue. I invited them out to have an evening by the fire and they could stay in the house, that was a hard NO I asked when the last time they had been out to the property. No clue was the answer which I expected, no problem!! One thing they did tell me was anything that had a top/roof was going to be taxed, even if it was a carport.
      There ya go! Po man can’t get a break.

Comment

Yeah the appraisal districts are crazy most times. I bought 17 acres of raw land for 67K a few years ago. I had about half of it cleared and that year they appraised it for $240K No other improvements at all. They also told me that they consider a sea container as a barn/structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Dog View Post
          Yeah the appraisal districts are crazy most times. I bought 17 acres of raw land for 67K a few years ago. I had about half of it cleared and that year they appraised it for $240K No other improvements at all. They also told me that they consider a sea container as a barn/structure.
          Let me ask you this. Is the addition of power and water considered in tax appraisal as an “improvement”?

Comment

They told me, electricity or not, it will be taxed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Let me ask you this. Is the addition of power and water considered in tax appraisal as an “improvement”?
              Yes, so is a water well. My home county adds $8000 to the appraisal for a water well.

Comment

We have a travel trailer cover and two portable buildings on skids on the property we hunt. One portable is 10x16 and has a full bath and a kitchen. The other is a 12x20 and my wife and I finished it into a cabin. They are not taxed as permanent structures.

In another county we have a 30x40 shop with a full bath, aerobic septic, city water and a travel trailer inside. We're taxed on a barn

Seems it me like 'homemade' trailers the answer is different by the county.

Comment

If you could see what was on my property they were taxing, you would know for sure the “po man” doesn’t stand a chance.

It was a rat infested piece-milled shack that was constructed from, my best estimate, crap picked up from neighborhood curbs during refuse day.

I tore it down not even thinking it was being taxed until I went to apply my Veterans exemption and mentioned it in passing. They keyed in on my statement and made an adjustment.

I’ll be digging a cave soon.

Comment

Dang I’m a veteran. An old one at that. You get an exemption for that?

Comment

You might also consider talking with a tax consultant or just flat out hiring one.

Comment

I’m going to tax office next time I’m up there. I try to post questions that lots of folks are experiencing. Lots of good info has come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          Dang I’m a veteran. An old one at that. You get an exemption for that?
                          I get two separate ones being disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                            You might also consider talking with a tax consultant or just flat out hiring one.
                            I was denied my first exemption that is a clear violation on their part. I went to visit the comptroller’s office and after they investigated my position they came to the conclusion these appraisal districts are getting greased by lawyers and there is a possibility of a racket going on and they assured me they were going to open an investigation on appraisal districts.

In other words, “hiring” someone is exactly what they want you to do.

My appraisal district did right their wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                              My question is how do they know you have run power and water to it? I built a 30X50 shop with a 14X60 lean too and have both run to it. It’s still considered hay storage. My taxes have not changed a bit with ag exemption.
                              We had power put on our ranch back in January. Comanche electric has to notify the county every time they put in a meter. Then once the county was notified we got a call asking what we were doing so they know. They are all in bed together. For us, it meant we had to get a permit for our septic that we weren't planning on getting and I'm sure they will be out to check on what we built. To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, if we had just drilled a well and done solar I don't think the county would have been informed. But they may have something where any well is required to be turned in as well.

Comment

So I’m old and have hearing loss from the Tank Battalion I served in. I can get an additional break beside wildlife?

Comment

Working...
                                X