Screwed by outfitter…any recourse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked a hunt in Canada in 2019 to hunt in 2020. Covid hit and no hunting in 2020-2022. Been communicating about rebooking or him reimbursing our money then ghosted us in July. $14,000 plus airline tickets down the drain. Apparently he owed a lot of money and went bankrupt. We have contacted the guide association that he was a member of but nothing yet.

Anyone have any advice?

Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’ve paid him $14k already?

Comment

Wow. I have no idea what you can do legally, but bankrupt is broke. Squeeze that tomato all you want to, your just getting tomato juice.

Comment

How did y’all pay him ? Maybe y’all can get him for fraud?

Comment

File a theft claim against him. You won't get anything but you may can get an injunction against him where if he comes into some cash you'd get some.

Comment

Drive to Canada one a year. Pull oil plug and drive back. Gonna be out some more money but i bet it will be a joyful drive ….

Hate to read these type threads and for 14k…people get cut lol

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                Booked a hunt in Canada in 2019 to hunt in 2020. Covid hit and no hunting in 2020-2022. Been communicating about rebooking or him reimbursing our money then ghosted us in July. $14,000 plus airline tickets down the drain. Apparently he owed a lot of money and went bankrupt. We have contacted the guide association that he was a member of but nothing yet.

Anyone have any advice?
                wow man. that sucks

Comment

I have never sent that much money to my outfitter in Africa before a hunt. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                    You’ve paid him $14k already?

^^^^^
                    I have no idea what to do in this situation..

Comment

It’s worth a phone call to an attorney. If he actually filed bankruptcy and didn’t just shut down his business, people that “lent” him money are entitled to the proceeds from auctioning off the equipment his company owned. Might not be anything, might be side by sides, trucks, boats, a warehouse, etc. If he set his business up correctly, you won’t be entitled to any of his personal property.

Comment

Sorry about that. 14K is a lot to pre pay.

Comment

Just to clarify, it was a 4 man hunt and we mailed checks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            I have never sent that much money to my outfitter in Africa before a hunt. Good luck!
                            yeah, I wouldn't either. No need for that much up front, except maybe a house?

Comment

sounds like an unsuccessful hunt. why did you lose airfare? Was he buying airline tickets with the money? Most airlines probably won't refund but they will let you have a credit against a future trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X