No rifled shotguns allowed at LBJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
    Any 20 ga smoothbore shotgun with a modified choke tube using the Slugger “high velocity” with a scope will shoot from cloverleaf to 2” groups out to 150 yards.

I’ve got a cheap mossberg 500 and Savage 220 Turkey that will make a huge hole at 150 yards. My mossberg has a 2.5x and the savage a 4x. I probably kill 100 plus animals per year with these setups.

I went to these setups because the rifled slugs are just too much $$$ for as much as I shoot. I sold all of my rifled shotguns.

Furthermore, none of my rifled guns were any more accurate, not a one

I have 7 dedicated slug guns with all but one being rifled. I get great accuracy with factory slugs, but started casting and reloading my own slugs. I get better results and it’s cheaper.

I got the largest group on Facebook focused on buckshot and Slug casting and reloading. The goal is to teach other shotgunners a cheaper, more efficient way to shoot buck and slugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
      That link say unable to connect. I wonder if they took it down already?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

It’s still up. Try another browser.

Comment

I tried other chokes with the 20 ga high velocity sluggers and modified gave me the best groups. I can also say my groups are better with fixed power -vs- variable at my ranges.

I applaud those working up their own shells or that can sling sabots all day. I even applaud the ones that can afford the Brenneke foster slugs.

Comment

I tried other chokes with the 20 ga high velocity sluggers and modified gave me the best groups. I can also say my groups are better with fixed power -vs- variable at my ranges.

I applaud those working up their own shells or that can sling sabots all day. I even applaud the ones that can afford the Brenneke foster slugs.

I’ve got a couple hundred Brenneke classics slug components in both 12 and 20 I can reload.

Comment

Another thing to consider. The Caddo grasslands allows all rifles and calibers and they ride horses out there too. So is this really about safety?

Caddo only has about 15 units compared to how many on lbj? It is also has a higher timber component.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
              I have 7 dedicated slug guns with all but one being rifled. I get great accuracy with factory slugs, but started casting and reloading my own slugs. I get better results and it’s cheaper.

I got the largest group on Facebook focused on buckshot and Slug casting and reloading. The goal is to teach other shotgunners a cheaper, more efficient way to shoot buck and slugs.

That is some talent and dedication there!
              I guess you hunt a lot of places that are shotgun only?

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                Wish they did this on more of our public lands

Me too, and reduced our 70+ frickin day firearm season. How people expect bucks to live through such a ridiculously long gun seasons is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                  Me too, and reduced our 70+ frickin day firearm season. How people expect bucks to live through such a ridiculously long gun seasons is beyond me.

The deer population seems to be sustaining itself, right? I know I haven't noticed a decline in buck numbers on my place and I hunt next to the grasslands and on the grasslands.

Comment

Any 20 ga smoothbore shotgun with a modified choke tube using the Slugger “high velocity” with a scope will shoot from cloverleaf to 2” groups out to 150 yards.

I’ve got a cheap mossberg 500 and Savage 220 Turkey that will make a huge hole at 150 yards. My mossberg has a 2.5x and the savage a 4x. I probably kill 100 plus animals per year with these setups.

I went to these setups because the rifled slugs are just too much $$$ for as much as I shoot. I sold all of my rifled shotguns.

Furthermore, none of my rifled guns were any more accurate, not a one
                    My rifled shotguns are a lot more accurate than any smooth bore I have shot. One is a Savage 220 and the other is a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel. Both scoped and both in 20 ga.. I shoot the Remington accutips.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                      Caddo only has about 15 units compared to how many on lbj? It is also has a higher timber component.
                      Not following your logic. Timber is your safety net? And less units equals ???

Comment

Not following your logic. Timber is your safety net? And less units equals ???

LBJ is much more open land vs caddo which is predominantly large hardwoods. There are so many units at lbj because they are predominantly small and there are lots of houses up on the borders of these small units. At caddo with there being fewer units they are much larger blocks of land and you have to really search to find a house on the border of a unit

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                          LBJ is much more open land vs caddo which is predominantly large hardwoods. There are so many units at lbj because they are predominantly small and there are lots of houses up on the borders of these small units. At caddo with there being fewer units they are much larger blocks of land and you have to really search to find a house on the border of a unit

What units? The majority of units from what I’ve hunted and scouted is wooded.

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                            There is a lot of timber at lbj, its just mainly smaller post oak. But since it seems the insinuation was made that open land is more dangerous? I'm guessing because trees stop bullets? The argument could be made that open land is safer shooting since you can see beyond your target and know whats there and not worry as much about ricocheting off of something. In the timber, anything could be behind or adjacent to the next tree and you would never know. My buddy was hunting several years ago on unit 4 and had a guy in a popup less than 75 yds behind him in the woods and had no idea he was there. The guy shot a doe that was about 20 yds from him and he about crapped his pants. I've known people who had the mindset that a lot of woods behind they're target will pretty much stop they're bullet. Maybe so but how many richochets later? Timber redirects as many shots as it stops. Who knows who or what is in the misdirected path. Also most hunters who use good judgment shoot away from the borders not toward them so houses don't come into play. If they're worried about the goofballs that don't pay attention to where they shoot or whats beyond it, then that should be addressed by enforcing charges of reckless behavior, not by taking away the good guys rights. Thats the mindset of the anti-gun groups. Were playing right into their hands with this type of thinking. I personally think rifles are ok at the Caddo and should be as well at LBJ. Bottom line is hunting is not safe because of the weapon used, its safe because of the hunter who's using it.

Last edited by rolylane6; 08-08-2020, 06:29 PM.

Comment

There is a lot of timber at lbj, its just mainly smaller post oak. But since it seems the insinuation was made that open land is more dangerous? I'm guessing because trees stop bullets? The argument could be made that open land is safer shooting since you can see beyond your target and know whats there and not worry as much about ricocheting off of something. In the timber, anything could be behind or adjacent to the next tree and you would never know. My buddy was hunting several years ago on unit 4 and had a guy in a popup less than 75 yds behind him in the woods and had no idea he was there. The guy shot a doe that was about 20 yds from him and he about crapped his pants. I've known people who had the mindset that a lot of woods behind they're target will pretty much stop they're bullet. Maybe so but how many richochets later? Timber redirects as many shots as it stops. Who knows who or what is in the misdirected path. Also most hunters who use good judgment shoot away from the borders not toward them so houses don't come into play. If they're worried about the goofballs that don't pay attention to where they shoot or whats beyond it, then that should be addressed by enforcing charges of reckless behavior, not by taking away the good guys rights. Thats the mindset of the anti-gun groups. Were playing right into their hands with this type of thinking. I personally think rifles are ok at the Caddo and should be as well at LBJ. Bottom line is hunting is not safe because of the weapon used, its safe because of the hunter who's using it.

This guy gets it. Spot on.

Comment

Just have them make it archery only, then it will have tons of giant deer like hagerman
                                Last edited by bossbowman; 08-09-2020, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X