Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming area 23 pronghorn

Anybody have any information about Wyoming area 23
    As I found a private ranch 5-6k acre the guy charges $100 a day trespass fee and a kill fee of $150 for doe & $300 buck , I have no idea on Wyoming and that area
    Looks like a fun/meat hunt, not a trophy, guy has a house on ranch to rent $125 per day ( 20 miles south of Gillette wy)
    Does anyone know if this is a reasonable deal
    I am muzzleloader or bow only
    Thinking about 2021 or 2022 if pp needed

Doubt a pp is needed, but you can buy one until end of October. Go ahead and get one and you can for sure go next year.

I’d say the rates are reasonable. However, unsure on how many hunters he will be letting hunt the same time as you. If a lot, then might not be what you want.

And yes, I plan to hunt antelope every few years bc as you said, it is fun despite trophy size or not

Note, the hardest part of the unit is public access. A lot of the public land is land locked. So, perhaps the trespass fee could be another way to access even more land if the ranch borders public. You could be hunting spots no other regular joes could get to.
    Last edited by MLank; 08-07-2020, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Doesn't sound out of line, trespass fees have really gone up for even antelope.
      I would surely ask about how many hunters each day and look on a map to see of he has some landlocked public like MLank stated.
      Check out this map for adjacent public lands perhaps : https://wyo-prop-div.maps.arcgis.com...650aa9f21d3fa5

I would buy the PP til you apply and for that area perhaps apply as a 2nd choice and a better area for access as a 1st.

Comment

Speed goats outnumber people in Wyoming. Not that hard to hunt but can be tough to get the one you want.

Comment

I hunted that unit in 2012, but on a 30,000 acre ranch that was virtually unhunted at the time. I had a great time and got a killer goat but a outfitter has the place leased now.

This area is almost all private land. There are always tons of leftover tags because finding decent property to hunt is almost impossible, especially without overpaying for trespass fees. Public land is almost nonexistent and hard to access. Very frustrating endeavor, especially when you live far away. Poaching trespassers are a constant problem there as well.

Your spot could be great or it could be way less than good. It just depends on how much hunting pressure they are allowing. I’d be asking a lot of questions about that but for that little amount of money I wouldn’t be expecting too much out of it.

I wish I had better news but that’s what I’ve learned. Having said all that, you could still find a diamond in the rough. Stick with it and let us know how you make out.

Comment

Working...
          X