Bizarre Arrow Flight...Missed Pig...Touch of Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre Arrow Flight...Missed Pig...Touch of Frustration

I took this shot last Saturday night. The pig was at 28 yards as that is what I ranged that big ol' rock. The next day, I found the arrow and discovered that the only issue with it was a single one of the Blazer vanes was curled from being smashed in the case, I guess. Shot it side by side with other arrows out of my new Hoyt Maxxis and it was the only one with this terrible flight. I eventually missed the target and broke the arrow, thereby solving the problem!

Just curious if anyone else has ever experienced something similar. It was tipped with a 125gr. Slick Trick.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/11284542"]TOT Hog Miss on Vimeo[/ame]

WOW, that was wicked crazy.

Comment

Yea I once had a smashed vane and did not realize it and shot at a deer I missed at 15yrds shot the arrow with others and it was the only miss match refletched it and it shot fine.

Comment

kinda acted like it did not have a broad head on it.

Comment

i have had similar effects with an arrow that one of the vanes was not glued properly and almost was completely torn off. luckily mine was on just a jackrabbit as a target

Comment

The only time I've had flight similar to that was when the string hit my jacket. Missed my biggest buck last year because of it.

Comment

that is crazy

Comment

What's wierd is I shot thru one of my quick spin blazers with another arrow. So this thing had a hole in it and was kinda knarled up. I was gonna toss it but went ahead and shot it and it had no effect what so ever on flight. I shot it out to 45 yards with no problem.

Comment

It almost looks like because of that curled vane you were not getting any rotation on your arrow causing a nuckle ball effect.

Comment

Definitely had some rudder action right before the target.

Comment

The fact that the deformed vane was steering a broadhead amplified the weird arrow flight. Kinda like having a bent rudder on a boat.

It would have probably been less or not noticeable if it was steering a field point.

I have had a vane come off (field point tipped arrow) during flight with similar results.

A vane coming off during flight disrupts the laminar air flow passing over the shaft and reeks havoc with arrow flight. The bent vane created a similar result, but it was more severe with a broadhead tipped arrow.

Comment

why didn't you try and refletch it?

Comment

Thats crazy! Good video!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            The only time I've had flight similar to that was when the string hit my jacket. Missed my biggest buck last year because of it.
                            Your not supposed to hunt big deer! Your our leader of cull hunters!

Comment

the force was strong with that one!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X