Newbie with food plot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with food plot question

Gonna try spring food plot for the first time. Got soil test and need to add #1000 of lime/acre. Only gonna do 1/2 acre Tecomate lablab and the other 1/2 whitetail institute power plant. Trying to see what they prefer in this area. So I spray the weed/grass herbicide today and gonna come back next week and spread the lime. Then a week later plow and seed (hopefully before a big rain). Question is, should I fertilize while I lime to mix it in or should I wait a few weeks after seeding?

I'm not a pro but I would lime and fertilize at the same time plow it in, wait a few days then seed. That's how I work my garden and food plots. I have even limed, fertilized, and seeded all the same day but I was 90% positive I would have a good rain on it in less than a day.

Comment

Fertilize when you put down the lime, worked well for us.

Comment

You can do it either way but you will get better results fertilizing separately. You are adding lime to help remedy the soil and this needs more water to help the process along and pushes the lime deeper in the soil while leaching the acidity. Fertilizer is for the plants to help with quicker growth they have shallow roots in early stages and nitrogen leaches quickly from the soil. For best results you want the fertilizer to get watered in directly in the root zone so it maximizes plant uptake.

I just made a deal with Tecomate to be their Independent Territory Rep in Texas and have spent many years doing food plot and production crop consultations here. Happy to help answer any other questions you may have. You can also email me at adam@tecomate.com
        Good luck this year!

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was able to finish both of my micro plot this Saturday before the big rain. Decided to mix the lab lab and power plant together.

Comment

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                X