Archery Cape Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery Cape Buffalo

For those of you that have done it, what was your set up. Arrow, Arrow weight, Broadhead broadhead wait, Bow, draw poundage. Anything else you want to share.

Get with landrover. He will get you going in the right direction.

Also, read up on dr. ed ashbys studies.

Heavy is better! Lots of FOC. Single bevel, cut on contact blades. Make sure your arrows are perfectly tuned.

Comment

I’m interested in hearing about this too.

Comment

Great advice Skeeter. Look forward to others input.

Comment

Call the folks at GrizzlyStick. They can set you up. Check them out on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, I went with a GrizzlyStic with total arrow weight of 950. The broadhead was a single bevel 200 grain Massai. My bow was set at 71 pounds.

Comment

Watched Tom Miranda shoot one Sunday. Had some funky looking 2 blade that was some kind of German steel. Plus, said he had sand in his arrow shafts. It worked. Big bull, quartering away, went 125 yards.

Comment

Lots of good shaft options out there these days, its not rocket science. A good Cape arrow is the summation of mass weight, FOC, broadhead efficiency and a properly spined arrow. They are a ton of fun to put together and equally impressive to watch in action!

Comment

I made kind of a homemade concoction when I did mine. I used gold tip 100+ spine big game shafts with 8 gpi weight tubes inside and 3 5 inch fletchings. Upfront was a 160 grain stos broadhead hand filed to a tanto tip and then sharpened like a razor on a strop. That head was jb welded onto a 100 grain steel insert. I think the total weight was 950+ grains. I shot a bowtech at 90 lbs and 29.5 inches. Those arrows flew beautifully out to 60 yards. I shot my buffalo at 32 yards and the broadhead was completely out the opposite side after hitting ribs on each side. Buffalo made it about 70-80 yards. Great combo but we had to kind of brew them a bit back then.

Comment

My biggest advice is go for a 900 grain arrow with lots of foc, a stout 2 blade head, and as much weight as you can shoot accurately. I think arrow weight is the key!

Comment

Originally posted by Ingle67 View Post
                      Call the folks at GrizzlyStick. They can set you up. Check them out on YouTube.

I agree with this. Spoke to them at the show in Jan. They will get you set up right, including the broadhead. My next trip (after I go in July) will be for Cape. I will be having Grizz Stick set me up.

As for poundage, most newer bows have enough efficiency that you don't need an 80 lb. Draw. A lot of outfitters seem to be good with 70lb bows nowadays.

Comment

This is a dream hunt of mine.

Comment

Mine was almost identical to Landrover. 950 grain total weight. 315 grain Ed Ashby single bevel. bow was set at 72 pounds.

I still have a bunch of the arrows and broad heads that I can let you have at a discount

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                            Watched Tom Miranda shoot one Sunday. Had some funky looking 2 blade that was some kind of German steel. Plus, said he had sand in his arrow shafts. It worked. Big bull, quartering away, went 125 yards.
                            Did Ole Tom shoot him high, low, too far forward or too far back and say "Smoked Him"? Worst hunter I have ever seen and will not watch him at all.

Doug

Comment

I used a home made concoction. I used a 83# BW recurve.
                              I had a heritage 350 shaft with 19" of beman flash shaft inside of it. I started out with a full length beman and it was too stiff. I cut it down an inch at a time until I got the spine right. I had a 100 grain brass insert with a 200 grain German kinetic dangerous game head.
                              It worked well and the Buff made it about 100 yards after the shot.
                              I killed 4 Australian Water Buffalo with the same setup.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	cape.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	24583418

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	24583419

Name:	broadhead.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	24583420

That said, if I had it to do over again I would have used a 300 grain Tuff head broadhead like I used for the elephant.

Name:	451.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	24583417

Comment

Working...
                              X