No announcement yet.

Let's talk 270 Weatherby Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure there are other cartridges that are more versatile, but if you like the 270 WBY then go for it. Go with a 26 inch barrel for sure. I like the Weatherby cartridges, and I’m looking for a 257 as my next one.

Comment

From personal experience, the 270 wby is better on paper than in the field. Meaning, similar ballistics and knockdown with the heavier bullets (150gr) vs a 7mm and really flat shooting.

But, on the handful of whitetails and 1 red stag that I shot with mine; almost seems like too much of a good thing. At moderate ranges - 100-350yds, I didn’t get any expansion or instant kills like I thought I would. It would zip through the animals through the shoulders and they’d run off 40-60 yards and fall over dead.

I’ve head better luck with the 270 Winchester.

The 240wby and 257wby I’m big fans of though.

Comment

I feel the 280ai is the best balanced 7mm bore around...been my go to since 94

Comment

I have a 270 weatherby mag mark V. one of my favorites. factory ammo states 3245 fps for 150 gr. when I averaged my 1st 3 shots through my chrono they averaged exactly 3245!!! crazy chance.. anyway, mine will shoot 1" groups at 200yds, and completely penetrates animals. they drop dead. most never even kick. I shot a pronghorn in WY facing me at 100 yards, entered neck area and exited hind quarter. mine dislikes 130 and 140 gr, 1 1/4-1 1/2" at 100yd groups. I wouldn't sell mine for 10k

Comment

My son bought me one after We got robbed. Kicks like a mule. Put a break on it couple yrs ago I just don't like hunting with ear plugs. Shoots good.

Comment

Working...
            X