Need advice on portable air compressor 20 to 30 gallon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on portable air compressor 20 to 30 gallon

My old air compressor died on me and no replacement parts are available.

So I need to get a new one. Looking for a 20 to 30 gallon on wheels in the $300 range. What are y’all’s recommendations?
    Thanks in advance.

I’m in on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When doing my research on a reasonable price one, I went with the 21 gallon from Lowes....mainly because it was on sale for under $200. There are lots of options to consider...high pressure needed, noise level, adjustable drive pressure, oil filled, non oil filled....on and on.

Good luck!

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Yes to many options. What is the advantage of oil less except the maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
          Yes to many options. What is the advantage of oil less except the maintenance?
          On steep slopes you don’t have to be concerned about the pump starving for oil like on splash lubricated designs . I’ve worn out some oilless pumps. There’s a reason you don’t see very many if any large, oilless stationary compressors. The larger continuous duty pumps simply won’t last because of heat buildup and friction. Oil is needed to cool and lubricate.

Comment

Ok thanks. Worksalot.

Do the lubricated pumps build air any quicker?

Comment

check them out.....https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...content=Direct

Comment

I had a nice Campbell oil air compressor and it went out after 15 years of use
                Wife surprised me with a craftsman oil less, and the noise is unbearable
                The old was a slow thumping sound, this new one is a horrible deep rattling sound
                “ just keep that in mind when purchasing a new compressor the annoying sound “

Comment

That size range of compressors for that price range, they are disposable compressors, basically. Most will run fine for quite a while, because of the small tank size, they usually run a lot, which wears out the compressor. I had one many years ago, when it would not build pressure anymore I took the head off, to try and figure out what was wrong and fix it. I found the cylinder wall was extremely worn out, the cylinder was made of aluminum. Once I saw what I was dealing with. I took the motor and compressor off of the tank and made a BBQ pit out of the tank. Then went and bought a 60 gallon compressor.

Comment

I have been looking at the Porter Cable $200 DeWalt $400 from Tractor Supply both are oil lubricated. Harbor Freight has one on clearance for $169 that has cast iron sleeves.

My only uses are to air up tires, occasionally impact and blow stuff off.

Comment

I read a lot good reviews on the McGraw(sp) from HF. Especially for home use. That was my 2 nd option but the Kobalt was on sale by $30 when I purchased.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Working...
                      X