Nilgai, .308 or .270?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai, .308 or .270?

Question for the experienced nilgai folks. Which would you choose for nilgai between these two calibers, 180 grain .308 or 150 grain .270? I have hunted them several times with a bow but this year will be my first time with a rifle. Please refrain from suggesting other calibers as I will be using one of these two.

I'd use the .308.

Comment

.308 and don't even consider anything but a neck shot. I've watched numerous bulls shot behind the shoulder with a .300 & .300Ultra and never be recovered.

Neck shot. Drop them. Hit em again if they are still kicking, they will get up!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

.270. If it can take an elk down, it can take a nilgai.

Comment

Comment

Where are you hunting?

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
            Question for the experienced nilgai folks. Which would you choose for nilgai between these two calibers, 180 grain .308 or 150 grain .270? I have hunted them several times with a bow but this year will be my first time with a rifle. Please refrain from suggesting other calibers as I will be using one of these two.
            My brother and I have wanted to hunt nilgai for years. Are you hunting them on your lease or a hunting operation?

Comment

Bow

Comment

.270 I’ve taken them with 22-250s and 243s but whatever you feel more comfortable shooting should be you go to rifle. Right above the shoulder not behind it to hit vitals

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  My brother and I have wanted to hunt nilgai for years. Are you hunting them on your lease or a hunting operation?
                  It's a drawn hunt on public land.

Comment

270 all day long, with a premium bullet like Nosler Partitions or something similar. Federal Premium's makes good ammo.

Comment

I would go with the 308 just because I would use a heavier bullet but I think you will be fine with either.

Comment

.308 and bullet selection is critical. Agree also on neck shot......

Comment

Which can you shoot farther, accurately?

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                            .308 and don't even consider anything but a neck shot. I've watched numerous bulls shot behind the shoulder with a .300 & .300Ultra and never be recovered.

Neck shot. Drop them. Hit em again if they are still kicking, they will get up!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Because they probably missed and liver shot them or worse. You put a .300 in the boiler or shoulder of a blue bull, he's dead. Need to know you're anatomy, those vitals are tucked in tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                              It's a drawn hunt on public land.
                              LA?

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                              Which can you shoot farther, accurately?
                              If it's at LA, there is some areas where the shots could be pretty far

Comment

Working...
                              X