Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone successfully gotten rid of yaupon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone successfully gotten rid of yaupon?

Just wondering. I'm thinking of having it mulched and then just keep it mowed.

Gallon 4.......mowing makes it worse.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

call me crazy, and in years to come i may regret it, but I'm in the process of planting yaupon along bare spots along a fence line. I hope it grows up thick and solid. I know its hard to maintain them in large amounts

Comment

I just had some guys finish 20 hours of mulching on my place. One clearing back in the woods was overgrown and it looks like a yard in the suburbs. Hint, talk to several before you decide on one, I saved 1250.00 on one guy and 2250.00 on another. The guys I used out of Franklin charge 125.00 hour. I am extremely happy. Mulching is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Landrover, Can you elaborate a little.
          Last edited by Kossetx; 11-05-2020, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Pm me your number and I’ll send you some pictures. They just chew up the yaupons and can make it as fine as you want, of course the finer it is, more time. One area we didn’t fine cut it and in about a month I will go in and disc that area and it will have good grass in spring.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
              call me crazy, and in years to come i may regret it, but I'm in the process of planting yaupon along bare spots along a fence line. I hope it grows up thick and solid. I know its hard to maintain them in large amounts
              Oh Oh...I'll be first. Your crazy...and if you have any woodlands you will regret it. And so will your neighbors and everyone else in your county.

Comment

You should import some fire ants and army worms too.[emoji23] You’re gonna regret this more than that one time in college![emoji15]

Comment

If you mulch it, be sure to spray the fresh cuts with some type of brush killer.

Comment

Try this and let me know how it works! =)

Comment

Very crazy

Comment

Chew, I regularly use cut stump but 100% is a dream. Yaupon is a stolon spreading plant and you will not have complete success with the cut stump method. I also have too many and I'm too old to do all of them cut stump. I have found in the spring during green up I have as much success with diesel only, sprayed on the lower trunk using a X1 tip, as I do with cut stump methods and it's a lot less labor. The problem is yaupon is an underbrush and there is a lot at risk to surrounding plants and trees spraying poisons, even just diesel, I have not had a tree die so far but I limit my spraying and it is in a high microbe creek bottom so the diesel get absorbed to an extent. The X1 is also the key. It may take 3 hours to spray 2 gallons with that tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                          Chew, I regularly use cut stump but 100% is a dream. Yaupon is a stolon spreading plant and you will not have complete success with the cut stump method. I also have too many and I'm too old to do all of them cut stump. I have found in the spring during green up I have as much success with diesel only, sprayed on the lower trunk using a X1 tip, as I do with cut stump methods and it's a lot less labor. The problem is yaupon is an underbrush and there is a lot at risk to surrounding plants and trees spraying poisons, even just diesel, I have not had a tree die so far but I limit my spraying and it is in a high microbe creek bottom so the diesel get absorbed to an extent. The X1 is also the key. It may take 3 hours to spray 2 gallons with that tip.
                          You tried it with the triclopyr/diesel mixture?

Comment

Yes, remedy/diesel 25%/75%. It works much better on mesquite than yaupon because of the stolon's. You can even go as low as 10% with mesquite but I keep it at 25% because I don't want to do it a second time. You'll see some yaupon sprouting from the base of some trees even at 25%.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                              Yes, remedy/diesel 25%/75%. It works much better on mesquite than yaupon because of the stolon's. You can even go as low as 10% with mesquite but I keep it at 25% because I don't want to do it a second time. You'll see some yaupon sprouting from the base of some trees even at 25%.
                              Thanks. Good info.

Comment

Working...
                              X