Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gravy

Had Gravy with pork chops tonight, not something we have very often anymore.

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's we had gravy with every meal.
    At my friends and neighbors houses it was no different.

Mom did 4 different kinds of gravy mostly done from the can of bacon grease always sitting on the stove.

White gravy was mostly for breakfast for biscuits, hash browns or over scrambled eggs.

Brown gravy was for dinner usually over mashed potatoes.

Drippings gravy was made from the drippings from cooking a roast and was thinner than the others.

Cream gravy was made from the remains of skillet fried chicken and was a treat over french fries, we never had a bottle of ketchup in the house.
    Mayonnaise on hamburgers, mustard on hot dogs, gravy on french fries.

When she cut up a whole chicken she fried up 12 pieces for 6 of us.
    2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs, 2 wings, 2 backs, 1 wishbone, 1 neck, plus liver and gizzards.

One or more items fried, served with gravy was most meals.

If you did not get full you could have seconds or thirds of gravy over white bread.

No one got fat.
    Last edited by texasair; 10-09-2020, 06:26 PM.

Are you drunk or am I?

Comment

I eat dinner meals with rice, gravy, and a meat 5-6 nights per week

Living in Cajun Country, rice n gravy is foundation of every meal

Comment

Gravy is a ”food group” like fruits and vegetables, protein, etc and should be included in any balanced diet. my wife who is from SW Louisiana introduced me to rice and gravy 33 years ago and since then I’ve eaten enough to fill an olympic sized swimming pool
        Last edited by jerp; 10-09-2020, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting4fun View Post
          Are you drunk or am I?

Literally spewed bourbon after reading this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, bread and gravy was a filler.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Oooooh! I'm just finishing a brisket in the cooler and I want that.

Meat, brown gravy, and mushrooms! Can't ever complain about that.

I'm full of smoke from today's effort, but the family doesn't want to wait. Wish I had this right now. Fresh cooked rice and Fresh mushrooms.

Comment

I love gravy. A. lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If all I have is some good venison gravy left over, I'll make fresh cooked rice just to compliment it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Oh my!

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                      If all I have is some good venison gravy left over, I'll make fresh cooked rice just to compliment it.
                      X2

Comment

Old fart here but I was raised on CF steak and gravy. We didn't have cell phones, internet, etc. We went outside to play and run. We also drank water from a garden hose. Had to let it run a bit because the water was hot. We didn't get fat because we were very active.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                          Old fart here but I was raised on CF steak and gravy. We didn't have cell phones, internet, etc. We went outside to play and run. We also drank water from a garden hose. Had to let it run a bit because the water was hot. We didn't get fat because we were very active.
                          And we liked it!

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                            Had Gravy with pork chops tonight, not something we have very often anymore.

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's we had gravy with every meal.
                            At my friends and neighbors houses it was no different.

Mom did 4 different kinds of gravy mostly done from the can of bacon grease always sitting on the stove.

White gravy was mostly for breakfast for biscuits, hash browns or over scrambled eggs.

Brown gravy was for dinner usually over mashed potatoes.

Drippings gravy was made from the drippings from cooking a roast and was thinner than the others.

Cream gravy was made from the remains of skillet fried chicken and was a treat over french fries, we never had a bottle of ketchup in the house.
                            Mayonnaise on hamburgers, mustard on hot dogs, gravy on french fries.

When she cut up a whole chicken she fried up 12 pieces for 6 of us.
                            2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs, 2 wings, 2 backs, 1 wishbone, 1 neck, plus liver and gizzards.

One or more items fried, served with gravy was most meals.

If you did not get full you could have seconds or thirds of gravy over white bread.

No one got fat.
                            No "Red Eye" gravy? We had the same experience. When there was no meat left to put gravy on, we went to gravy sandwiches. Gravy all over two slices of bread. Good times.

Comment

When I was growing up, a piece of bread with syrup all over it, then slathered with gravy was dessert. Man...those were the days!

Comment

Working...
                              X