Fish finder on kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish finder on kayak

Never thought I would use a fish finder on a kayak. I always thought the reason to get a kay was to fish really skinny water and aFF would be useless. Well, the first yak I bought already had a FF on it. Ok, no big deal. Cool selling point. Went out a few times, turned it on, never paid much attention to it... so i thought! I bought another kayak, new, that didnt have a FF. Now, I'm lost without it!

I purchased an inexpensive little unit.a lowrance hook 2. $105. Mounted the transducer inside. Not really worried about water temp. Didnt want stuff hangin over the sides. Turned out pretty good. Ready for the rain to stop so I can try it out. Gotta tidy up the wiring after the silicone drys. Powered by a 12v deer feeder battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200727-104819_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	380.7 KB
ID:	25218794

Name:	Screenshot_20200727-104832_Gallery.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	25218795

Name:	Screenshot_20200727-104804_Gallery.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	25218796

You just nearly changed my mind into doing this! What did you miss about having one on the other kayak that made you put one on the new kayak? I'm like you were: Is it something you use on the skinny water?

Todd

Comment

I fished a spot on Lake Houston that has a good channel running thru it. 3-5 feet deep dropping to 18ft. Less than 3ft, I dont see any use for it. It ain't like I'm gonna hit something with the lower unit!

Comment

Originally posted by rtarcher View Post
        You just nearly changed my mind into doing this! What did you miss about having one on the other kayak that made you put one on the new kayak? I'm like you were: Is it something you use on the skinny water?

Todd
        I'm no expert by any means. But I do have a couple kayaks. If you ever want to try it b4 you buy it, give me a shout.

Comment

[ATTACH]1012671[/ATTACH]
          Pelican catch 120 12 ft long. Slow, but very stable.

[ATTACH]1012672[/ATTACH]
          Pescador Pro 100 10ft. Not as stable as the catch but tracks well and ez to paddle.

Comment

Bought my first Yak a few months back and came w/fishfinder. The bracket was broken so I made one out of a mudflap and really like having it. If you have ever owned boats you will appreciate a fishfinder in your Kayak.

Comment

Definitely always a help. If you can side scan works great on them as well.

Comment

I dont think the side scan works if the transducer is mounted inside the kayak. I've never paid much attention to the side scan til jeremy360 sent me some pix of his. Game changer, for sure!

Comment

I have one on one of mine but not on the other. I never use the one without it. My son gets to use it! I fish all types of water so its obviously useful in deeper water. But I also fish shallow in rivers and creeks and occasionally the bays too. It's all about finding structure or sometimes subtle depth changes. I feel like I'm handicapped without one.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought about just mounting a new transducer on the new yak, swap the FF unit back and forth. But the whole set up was only $15 more than a transducer!

Comment

how may hours do you get with the deer feeder battery running just the FF?

Comment

I started with a 4", changed to a 5', and then went to a 7".

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                          how may hours do you get with the deer feeder battery running just the FF?
                          I've been fishing 4 times and have not charged the battery. Still holding at 11.4 volts.

Comment

Skeeter, does your yak have a well on the bottom to mount the transducer?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                              Skeeter, does your yak have a well on the bottom to mount the transducer?
                              The pescador has a spot for the transducer on the bottom. Not the pelican.

Comment

Working...
                              X