Too heavy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too heavy??

Is there such a thing as a too heavy of an arrow? Playing around with some arrows I have laying around, current arrow: Gt Xt Hunter 30.875” throat to carbon, regular insert, 200gr fact weight, 100gr head & some ol’ weed eater string. Arrow weight 673.5gr & 18.8% foc, arrow flys great, bow is quite. So then I found some fatter weed eater string, got it to 755.8gr. Have shot it through the chrony yet, but I can tell it’s sloooow!!

The reason for 100gr head is I’ve got a ton of mechanicals in 100gr. I figure this would a good pig experiment.

Bow is Elite Victory 37, 60# & 29”dl.

Next I’m gonna put a 100gr brass insert with 150gr fact weight & retest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don’t plan on shooting further than 30 yards I’d say you’ll be fine

Comment

for me there is but like hwy hunter said 30 yards and in you will be ok .. i prefer to stay about 270 ft a second for my bowtech that's a 500 grain arrow. For my mathews thats 550 .. any slower and the difference in 40 and 42 yards is too much for hunting

Comment

I just shot the 755gr over the chrony, a blazing 200fps!! But it’s very quite. My previous arrow was shooting 275fps but only weighed 371gr. Hunting East Texas my shots are usually under 25yrds. I’m gonna give it a whirl on a pig & see how penetration is.

I’ve always got my Full Throttle to grab if I feel like slinging arrows faster.

Comment

Cool keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
            I just shot the 755gr over the chrony, a blazing 200fps!! But it’s very quite. My previous arrow was shooting 275fps but only weighed 371gr. Hunting East Texas my shots are usually under 25yrds. I’m gonna give it a whirl on a pig & see how penetration is.

I’ve always got my Full Throttle to grab if I feel like slinging arrows faster.

I shot a 125 lb hog a few weeks ago with a 640 grain arrow.. he turned just as I shot and the arrow hit him in the neck kinda down his jaw line.. he was facing me by the time the arrow hit.. the arrow came out his opposite ham and went another 20 yards.. i bet you will like the results..

Comment

Heavy is purely subjective.... there are certainly plenty of folks that would present a valid case that a 600 grain arrow doesn’t qualify as “heavy”. It’s all relative depending on your personal definition of what exactly that is. Now if we are talking about the performance realm then that’s a different set of rabbit holes we can go down for a long time.

In the end “heavy” for most will tend to be where speed becomes compromised beyond one’s particular comfort zone. While getting closer to consistent bone breaking thresholds speed starts to suffer and the numbers on the chrono start to get pretty slim. How YOU hunt is really the determining factor in the equation. If your shots are relatively close; 20-30 yds, then you can usually load up pretty good if you shoot an average draw weight and length. I would never advocate building and arrow that would potentially compromise effectiveness in the field just for the sake of saying it weighs “***” grains. The Trad guys have been rocking gross arrow weights on the higher end of the spectrum for years at very modest speeds with good success so it can certainly be done. But if you goal is to chunk a 750 grain arrow at 170 FPS then maybe the Trad game is where some guys should really be. To take full advantage of the modern perks of compound bows we generally see the best performance at a happy medium. It’s really hard to beat a 500-550 grain arrow with a good broadhead launched anywhere from 250+, if you can squeeze more speed then more power to you. But again if you are out West chasing speed goats dropping 50-60 yard bombs then that’s not necessarily the best fit either. The last thing I’d add is that if you aren’t shooting a head that an elite penetrator then I certainly would waste my time going all in on mass weight. You build the mass for two reasons: 1) to increase penetration and 2) to navigate non-favorable hits. There is no sense in running weight up and if the payload up front doesn’t maximize the potential on the back end.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                Is there such a thing as a too heavy of an arrow? Playing around with some arrows I have laying around, current arrow: Gt Xt Hunter 30.875” throat to carbon, regular insert, 200gr fact weight, 100gr head & some ol’ weed eater string. Arrow weight 673.5gr & 18.8% foc, arrow flys great, bow is quite. So then I found some fatter weed eater string, got it to 755.8gr. Have shot it through the chrony yet, but I can tell it’s sloooow!!

The reason for 100gr head is I’ve got a ton of mechanicals in 100gr. I figure this would a good pig experiment.

Bow is Elite Victory 37, 60# & 29”dl.

Next I’m gonna put a 100gr brass insert with 150gr fact weight & retest.

I heard this when I was watching the Ranch Fairy but what is foc??

Comment

I have killed allot of critters with 350 to 450 grain arrows. Draw wieghts from 30 - 73# all I know is I really like speed.
                  I know how to tune and I know how to pick my head and my shot for the critters I aim at.
                  If I were hunting hippos or cows I would go heavy almost everything else I would not bother shooting a geezer sticks

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    I shot a 125 lb hog a few weeks ago with a 640 grain arrow.. he turned just as I shot and the arrow hit him in the neck kinda down his jaw line.. he was facing me by the time the arrow hit.. the arrow came out his opposite ham and went another 20 yards.. i bet you will like the results..

This is what perplexes me about the super heavy arrow guys. You get great penetration so you are happy and praise the slow heavy arrow, but it leads me to believe your arrow is too slow. If you had been shooting a 450 grain arrow, and you figure the standard 1 FPS gain for 3 grains of arrow weight, that is a potential velocity gain of 66 FPS. 66 FPS added and you may have very well hit where you were aiming in the first place. Add a COC broadhead and penetration would have probably still been through and through.

Not picking on you personally, just pointing out a different perspective. In archery as other things there are varying ideas, I tend to be a happy medium guy on speed/weight, but understand that ain't for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                      This is what perplexes me about the super heavy arrow guys. You get great penetration so you are happy and praise the slow heavy arrow, but it leads me to believe your arrow is too slow. If you had been shooting a 450 grain arrow, and you figure the standard 1 FPS gain for 3 grains of arrow weight, that is a potential velocity gain of 66 FPS. 66 FPS added and you may have very well hit where you were aiming in the first place. Add a COC broadhead and penetration would have probably still been through and through.

Not picking on you personally, just pointing out a different perspective. In archery as other things there are varying ideas, I tend to be a happy medium guy on speed/weight, but understand that ain't for everyone

There is serious doubt a 450 grain arrow would penetrate through virtually the longest part of the animal’s anatomy (the quartering to frontal shot) it’s simply the lowest percentage by the numbers. However the additional weight provides the momentum required to get all the way through. Is it an optimal shot, no. Is it a frequently encountered problem, no. That’s one of the advantages of shooting increased weight, it just stacks the deck in your favor when these things pop up in the field, and they do pop up. 66fps is a wash in terms of when the payload arrives with archery equipment. It sounds like a lot but in reality it’s basically getting there the same time. I prefer to get there with the most hate as possible......

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                        There is serious doubt a 450 grain arrow would penetrate through virtually the longest part of the animal’s anatomy (the quartering to frontal shot) it’s simply the lowest percentage by the numbers. However the additional weight provides the momentum required to get all the way through. Is it an optimal shot, no. Is it a frequently encountered problem, no. That’s one of the advantages of shooting increased weight, it just stacks the deck in your favor when these things pop up in the field, and they do pop up. 66fps is a wash in terms of when the payload arrives with archery equipment. It sounds like a lot but in reality it’s basically getting there the same time. I prefer to get there with the most hate as possible......

I meant the 450 would have penetrated just fine cause the shot placement would have been more correct. Also i put some simple math to it (and feel free to double check, because I could defiantly be off) , i got about 6 hundredths faster to 20 yards comparing 280 fps to 220 fps. That don't sound like a lot, but in reality it is.

Speed of sound .05 for critter to hear shot
                        220 fps bow is about .27 seconds of flight time
                        280 fps bow is about .21

that is a reaction time of the critter a difference of .22 vs .16 and if you have ever done a sport that measures reaction time .22 vs .16 is HUGE

So while you look at it as stacking the deck in your favor, I am not so sure. I have seen too many deer duck arrows especially with a recurve and sometimes even with faster compounds. I am not saying my way is the only or best way, just a different perspective.

Comment

I did some shooting today. Here’s the #’s I came up with

742gr 200fps Ke 65.83 Mo .6583
                          663gr 212fps Ke 66.09 Mo .623
                          625gr 218fps Ke 65.88 Mo .604

Can you if you guys explain the difference in the #’s of the 742gr & the 625gr arrow? I’ve tried to figure it out but my head hurts now!!

I think I’m gonna go with the 625gr arrow since it’s 18fps faster & only losing .05 of momentum. Would that be a good choice??

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post

the thing is that 1 ft per 3 grains stuff goes out the window too.. that arrow was still flying 254 fps.. my regular arrow which is 525 grains Flys 281 fps.. i don't normally shoot "heavy" arrows but i do experiment when im hunting a stand with a known distance.. speed of sound is 3 times faster than a bow, animals will jump the string no matter how fast your arrow is going..
                            Last edited by jds247; 07-11-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                              the thing is that 1 ft per 3 grains stuff goes out the window too.. that arrow was still flying 254 fps.. my regular arrow which is 525 grains Flys 281 fps.. i don't normally shoot "heavy" arrows but i do experiment when im hunting a stand with a known distance.. speed of sound is 3 times faster than a bow, animals will jump the string no matter how fast your arrow is going..

If you don’t mind me asking what you shooting?? 525 @ 281 is moving??

Comment

Working...
                              X