Tradition or Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradition or Want?

To be fair Need is a player too. I had breakfast with a buddy this morning that has a Ranch in East Texas. Did y’all kill anything? No. Saw a bunch of does. Why didn’t you shoot a couple? Too much work...
    I realized my buddy really hunts a day maybe 2 but it’s just out of tradition. He don’t really “want” to hunt.

I’m in the “ I need to kill something group” by the way. I just feel better.

Do you hunt because you want to if it’s just tradition?

Comment

Both for me. But I don’t hunt near as much as I want.
      And it is a lot of work if you process your own

Comment

Because I want/need to. I don’t absolutely need the meat, but I need to hunt. I grew up with a diehard wade fisherman father and I could really care less about it now. I’d rather sit in a deer stand and not see a deer for three days than go stand out in the bay and catch a limit of trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The older I get the less I have to kill deer just to kill as a whole....does culls skims, mgmt deer etc.... Now put a good old mature buck that tickles my fancy or any of the three dove types in front of me, and I revert back to 20 years old stat!

Comment

I bow hunt because it is exciting. I guess when it stops being fun. I'll find something else to do with every waking moment of my life.

Comment

I didn't have any traditions. My parents or grandparents didnt hunt.. I grew up fishing, only because we lived close to the lake. I didnt develop a want to for hunting until my mid 20s. Now, I love the sport. I've learned mountains of information and love the continued challenges it provides.. plus I love the meat it provides

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I love the challenge of getting close enough to kill a mature public land buck.. I also prefer to eat wild game over store bought meat.. so I'll wack a doe or cull etc to fill my tags..

Comment

I hate running out of tags. I had to make myself take a break. I only have one tag left after a month of Archery season. I love hunting them, shooting them, eating them. I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me. I crave the thrill of the hunt.

Comment

My grandfather started taking me deer hunting when I was 7. That was the mid 70’s. I guess you could say it’s a tradition since we have always done it. It’s in my DNA. I love my time in the woods. I am lucky to get to bowhunt year round. When my wife says we are getting low on axis, i go hunt no matter what time of year it is.

Comment

Have always enjoyed spending time in the woods, and enjoy roaming the woods and scouting about as much as hunting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        I hate running out of tags. I had to make myself take a break. I only have one tag left after a month of Archery season. I love hunting them, shooting them, eating them. I just feel better when I'm in the woods. I think it's maybe even a need for me. I crave the thrill of the hunt.
                        This guy gets me!

Comment

I'm not a person that really feels anything for traditions or "heirlooms". It is just stuff to me. I hunt because I enjoy just getting away. But I also "sleep in" more than I used to. I am also perfectly happy to stay in from the afternoon hunt and cook for the people there at the time. I could tag out every year if I wanted to, but I usually kill a couple deer and maybe an axis or an aoudad. But if I did not have a place to hunt and get away I would really miss it.

Comment

These days seems there’s a lotta wants to remove the heads and needs to dump them in peoples yards. They Makin new traditions?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              Yeah, this is me too. I enjoy everything about it from field to freezer. I process my own and we live off of what ever I kill, for the year. My youngest daughter is usually good for at least one deer/year as well. The only time we buy beef is if we get a hankering for a ribeye or chicken. Other than that, venison is the backbone of the majority of our meals.

Comment

Working...
                              X