Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 08-05-2020, 10:53 AM   #1
OLIVER65
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE Arkansas / Mertzon
Default Pin size

Well I have finally gotten back into bow hunting. I picked up a Mathews Vertix and installed my HHA optimizer it currently has a .019 pin. I feel like it covers to much of the target at 20yds would dropping down to a .010 pin help this? Would the smaller pin be less effective at longer ranges?
OLIVER65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
CSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palestine

Yes it will help. I swapped to .010 pins last year and am happy with the move, but at 50/60 yards my pins are a little too blurry for me. I'm going to order a peep verifier and see if that will make my pins clear up. I think the smaller pins help me with longer shots.
CSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
Planopurist
Four Point

I went through this myself. I just moved to a .010Ē pin, but I donít have any time behind it.

I always felt like shooting targets with the larger pin presented a difficult image. Iíve heard that covering up a target with the pin subconsciously makes you want to uncover it to make sure youíre on it. This is a form of target panic. However, I had no problem with a really small target (i.e. golf tees, roofing felt tack, etc) or an animal.

At longer distances, the larger pin covers up more of the target. My wanting to be able to shoot beyond 50 yards or so, inclined me to go with smaller pins. The sight I chose (CBE Engage Hybrid 3-pin) doesnít offer the popular option of .019Ē for 20-30 yards and .010Ē for farther distances.

I think you might borrow a sight from a friend and try a few shots to see if the sight picture looks ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Planopurist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
splitbeam145
Ten Point

.010 all I use
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #5
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I shoot black gold sights.. my top pin is .19 the rest are .10
The problem with the .10 is in dark timber you will still have shooting light but not be able to see your pin.. on my next sight I think im gonna go .29 .19 .10 .10 .
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #6
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I shoot black gold sights.. my top pin is .19 the rest are .10
The problem with the .10 is in dark timber you will still have shooting light but not be able to see your pin.. on my next sight I think im gonna go .29 .19 .10 .10 .
Good choice. I shoot a 3 pin Black Gold with a .29, and two .19 pins. I canít even see a .10.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
RJH1
Ten Point

As boring as it is , I just use 19. They work in all kinds of light, they're small enough to hit stuff at 50 + yards, and they're prolific so they're easy to get parts for. I thought about trying other stuff, but at this point I don't see much advantage to be gained for the headache of trying it.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

I went down the road of trying to get the best accuracy I could get on a target. Started out a long time ago with .029 and kept moving down till I had a target sight with mostly 0.009 pins. I also kept upgrading releases and was hitting X's like never before. I then realized something, I never shoot past 40 yards on an animal and sometimes I need to get on target quick. I'm back to 0.029 pins and a tension wrist release and couldn't be happier with it as a hunting setup. Sure my target accuracy suffered some, but my hunting accuracy has never been better.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

The problem I have with larger fiber optic pins is I get star burst real bad .. so the other pins can drown out the im trying to use in lower light.. sometimes it looks like a rainbow instead of separate pins..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #10
RJH1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
The problem I have with larger fiber optic pins is I get star burst real bad .. so the other pins can drown out the im trying to use in lower light.. sometimes it looks like a rainbow instead of separate pins..
Right, I was having this happen and i taped over a bunch of my fiber optic. Still plenty of bright even in low light, don't even have a light on my pins. I guess the good thing is there are plenty of options so we can all figure out what works best for each person
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
Lone_Wolf
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
As boring as it is , I just use 19. They work in all kinds of light, they're small enough to hit stuff at 50 + yards, and they're prolific so they're easy to get parts for. I thought about trying other stuff, but at this point I don't see much advantage to be gained for the headache of trying it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I use .019 in my spot hogg all green.
Lone_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
Lobama
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Lee Co./ Washington Co.

It is harder to see in low light timber. Especially around prime shooting light, I couldnt give up .019.
Lobama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top