Has anyone built their own water wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone built their own water wagon?

Going to purchase and haul potable water, I'm thinking about 500 gallons. Has anyone built one? If so, can you share specs. If you just throw water totes on a trailer, what pump do you use to empty into holding tank? Thanks!

Folks use the big round water tanks up here, plastic ones, 1000 gallon. Put them on either truck bed trailers or other smaller trailers.
    Lots of folks outside of town have to haul water for their homes up this way. The city has a bulk water distribution site in town for folks to fill them pretty cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
      Folks use the big round water tanks up here, plastic ones, 1000 gallon. Put them on either truck bed trailers or other smaller trailers.
      Lots of folks outside of town have to haul water for their homes up this way. The city has a bulk water distribution site in town for folks to fill them pretty cheap.
      A 1000 gallons of water is going to weigh over 8300 pounds. I don't think you want to try to haul that in just any trailer.

Comment

We had a guy bring us 1200 gallons in a tank that was loaded in his cattle trailer.

Comment

We had a trailer built and put a 500 gallon vertical tank (big green one) on it and fabricated a metal framework to hold it in place. Used the drain port (2") to connect a swimming pool pump to it for emptying. Used 2" lay-flat hose and 2" cam-lock hose fittings to connect it to a large cistern we had at camp. We bought a permit from the City of Del Rio and bought water in bulk. This allowed us to connect to any fire plug in town to fill the tank, then dump it into our system on the ranch. It worked flawlessly for many, many years. We had a certified backflow preventer on the fill line that we connected to the fire hydrant that had to be tested each year. For reference, that swimming pool pump would pump the 500 gallons out in less than 10 minutes. We have now disassembled it since we no longer have the property in Del Rio. We still have the back flow preventer and meter if you are interested in building one that you can connect to a municipal water system. PM me if you want to consider that.

Comment

TSC has a county line transfer pump CL-109
            It’s fairly fast pump

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
              A 1000 gallons of water is going to weigh over 8300 pounds. I don't think you want to try to haul that in just any trailer.
              I'm thinking now they usually haul 500 gallons. Big round tanks with a fill on top and valve low to drain.
              They will fit in a bed trailer, bigger tanks are on a goose neck. We don't see the square totes up here very often.
              It's interesting if they don't get them filled, they know when they try to pull away.

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                Going to purchase and haul potable water, I'm thinking about 500 gallons. Has anyone built one? If so, can you share specs. If you just throw water totes on a trailer, what pump do you use to empty into holding tank? Thanks!

This might be what you’re looking for

Comment

Can’t get my pic to upload. Text me and I’ll send you what we have. 9795750942

Comment

We have a big round 1100 gallon black tank we bought from Tractor Supply and use 275 gallon white tanks to transfer water to it using a pool pump. Using the pool pump takes 5 minutes or less to empty a 275 gallon tank.

Comment

We use two 330 Gallon totes strapped down on a double axle flat bed trailer to haul water to our pens.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        We had a trailer built and put a 500 gallon vertical tank (big green one) on it and fabricated a metal framework to hold it in place. Used the drain port (2") to connect a swimming pool pump to it for emptying. Used 2" lay-flat hose and 2" cam-lock hose fittings to connect it to a large cistern we had at camp. We bought a permit from the City of Del Rio and bought water in bulk. This allowed us to connect to any fire plug in town to fill the tank, then dump it into our system on the ranch. It worked flawlessly for many, many years. We had a certified backflow preventer on the fill line that we connected to the fire hydrant that had to be tested each year. For reference, that swimming pool pump would pump the 500 gallons out in less than 10 minutes. We have now disassembled it since we no longer have the property in Del Rio. We still have the back flow preventer and meter if you are interested in building one that you can connect to a municipal water system. PM me if you want to consider that.

The trailer we had built was just a short flatbed trailer with 3500lb axles and brakes with extra bracing on the frame for the tank to sit on... A regular 12-16 foot trailer would work just fine too then add the tank and pump, back flow preventer and meter...

Comment

This is our set up. When I use the Ranger to tow it I only use one tote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C46B49D8-D340-4944-A3EB-845FCBBA2AC7.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	24625641

Comment

Working...
                          X