Best 223 Pig Pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 223 Pig Pills

Looking for TBH help on the best hog ammo for 223?
    (understanding "best" is an opinion)
    would like to stay with 55 grainers for my ballistic reticle BUT solid ammo is the goal.
    Ear holing is always the ticket but if slipping one in the shoulder is the only shot, im going to take it. Shot placement always trumps ammo and my gun should tell me what ammo it likes. I know.

Just looking for opinions from guys that have had good results
    (cheap to expensive, doesn't matter)
    shooting a 16" 1:8 heavy contour barreled AR

thanks

For the money Hornady black 75 grainers(if you have a 1-8 twist or faster barrel), if not go to the 62 grainers

I like plain Jane hollow points on pigs, best balance of penetration with expansion I have found. 75 grainers hit HARD and I've shot them to 600

62 grainers will be minute of pig on your reticle for sure, the 75s ... Just depends on the gun/reticle. Mine is good to 400 then it starts to really deviate

I've got federal gold medal Berger's too but no test results yet
    Last edited by catslayer; 03-07-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

TSX, Fusion/Fusion MSR or Gold Dots.

Comment

Remington PSP

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
          Remington PSP
          X2

Comment

Had good luck with hornady 62 gr American whitetail

Comment

I’ve killed a lot with fmj. In my mind they are like poison.

Comment

I use Hornady black 75's and they seem to do the trick!!

Comment

I've had good success with the Black Hills 69 & 75 gr .223 on hogs.

Comment

I shoot the 55gr spire point from Hornady. Gets the job done for me and easy on the check book!

Comment

Originally posted by drewwland View Post
                      I shoot the 55gr spire point from Hornady. Gets the job done for me and easy on the check book!
                      I got a box of 50 of the spire points for Christmas to run through my AR. Very accurate little round out of my gun, but the hogs just soak them up and keep on trucking. I shot 6 a few weeks ago and only recovered one.
                      They had visible wounds in the neck and shoulder area pumping blood, but they made it 200 plus yards across the pasture to the neighbors. Some were hit more than once. Three shots were under 30 yards, the rest were running shots.

Comment

I have had really good luck with the 55 grain Barnes TSX in .223 on pigs of all sizes. Very accurate. Penetrates really well.

I have not gotten to use the Federal Fusions but I'd be interested in how they would do for a little cheaper alternative. Although the Fusion load is 62 grains, not 55.

Comment

Originally posted by drewwland View Post
                          these, cheap and deadly. Been using them for years, killed many a pig, yote, bob kitties, rabbits, squirrels etc.

Comment

Hornady 55 gr spire points. Pretty cheap and had great luck with them

Comment

I was ultimately dissatisfied after several dozen pigs with a 5.56 and stepped up to a 6.5 Grendel and like it much better. I have an ar-10 .308 and it is lights out too but I like the ar-15 size a bit better.

I like the 62 grain Fusion MSR's and 62 Grain TTSX when I reach for the 5.56.

Comment

Working...
                              X