Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
simek
Ten Point

Default Speaking Czech

Cheez's post about German got me to thinking a bit. Where I grew up, there was still a good bit of Czech speaking going on. It was mostly by the old timers, but my father (who is 58) speaks it fluently, but he's about the last generation that does (Note: I don't consider my dad an old timer). Before my great grandfather died (at the ripe old agae of 102), my dad and great grandfather would talk entirely in Czech (it was his first language, and he felt most comfortable talking in Czech). Even though I did not understand the vast majority of it, it was pretty **** neat to listen to it.

Any of you folks speak Czech or recall hearing it a good bit growing up?
simek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Breezy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio, San Patricio counties and viva mexico !
Default Speaking Czech

Same boat as you my Czech brother.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Breezy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Refugio, San Patricio counties and viva mexico !
Default Speaking Czech

We need to plan a trip to our homeland. I have a lot of family there. Before my grandpa died he made several trips.
Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
b.latiolais
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards County

Not Czech, but I used to get a kick out listening to my Grandfather and his cousins speaking French. I've actually purchased several books and CD's trying to learn the language myself. I always thought it would be cool to be able to shoot the bull with my "Pop" in French.
b.latiolais is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

My great grandmother and father (on my mom's side) spoke fluent Czech.
My grannie, from that side, could carry on a conversation with them. After they both died, she used it less and less.
I haven't heard her speak Czech in at least 20 years.

It's a dieing art.

Oh, that same great grandpa, I called him MoreMore (he gave me a shot of Jack Daniels when I was about 3, and I asked for more ... more; it stuck) played the acordian in a polka band. Listening to them play, in his garage wasn't very cool back then, but I'd give anything to hear them again.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I had an aunt that was Czech. Her mother also lived with my aunt and uncle. When we would go visit it was all her mother could speak. Her mother also only cooked on a wood stove. She refused to use the gas stove in the kitchen and durn could that woman cook! They lived a couple of miles from us in S. Dallas.
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Switchbackstrap
Eight Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite

My wife grew up in West, her Grandparents speak Czech fluently ,I have picked up a little along the way, But some of still makes no sense or maybe hey are making fun of me .My wife and I do enjoy a good polka band and she is always listening to the polka show on the radio in Rockdale and Taylor.
Switchbackstrap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
El Jeffe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ocala

Growing up ,y great grandmother spoke Italian and when she would get mad at me she would forget and slip into it at time's. I cant remember the phrase she would call me but translated it meant fart's for brains.
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
ZenDaddy
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba County

My wife's family currently resides in a small Czech town just outside the Polish border. We go there every other year for Christmas. Small town and we have a great time. Family, friends, great times! Did I mention the beer? Added bonus - get to go Russian Boar hunting!

We send our kids over there for summer camp so they can learn the language. Unfortunately, the Czech kids all want to practice their english with my kids, so my kids learn very little Czech.
ZenDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

My grandmother learned to speak english in school when she was 5yrs old. She would always tell us storys in czech and english my parents speak just enough to get get by on and I know all the bad words
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
tyak
Ten Point

I lived in East Bernard for about 8 years. I learned a little...

"GDAGKI"

That's the key to the garage door!!!!!!!!!!
tyak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
John Galt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

My mother began life with Czech as her only language. Didn't learn English until she went to school. (dang rich immigrants! )

Anybody got a good Texas hookup for jaternice and jelitha?

Can still get some out of Chicago but it's muy expensive.

BTW De me pivo! (And I KNOW I spelled that wrong!) on edit: Dej mi pivo!!!
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
quackerback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: down the road

my grandparents speak it fluently. i know a few words. when i was in high school i took a czech class. it was one of those things that if you don't use it you forget a lot. i looked at some translation books recently and i remember a few words. for some reason some of the words i should not use seem to stick better than others. the town i live near just had their National Polka Festival.
quackerback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
txnduckhntr
Banned!!!

Hunt In: smiley/gonzales county

my mothers family in Nada,TX spoke fluent czech, and my mom still does, but she has no one left to speak it too.
kinda like alan, i know the bad words and PIVO
wish i would have tried tolearn alittle when i was younger
txnduckhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette
Default Speaking Czech

Vie gates! German is still spoke around our campfire in Fredericksburg. Landowner and a couple of our leasees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Ive always expected more people here to know what my Handle is,
since is pure Czech
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

My wife is Czech, but I probably speak more of it than she does... Her dad is still pretty good at the language, but it's not used that much around West as it once was...
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #18
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
We need to plan a trip to our homeland. I have a lot of family there. Before my grandpa died he made several trips.
Amen to that. My wife has been to Prague for work . . .was back on 1998. She claims it is the most beautiful city she's ever been to. My dad was there in the military . . . .he said it reminded him of how it was in the US growing up . . . like it was 20 years behind, but familiar. I mean to go back . . .maybe when my pending man child can travel . . .gonna take dad with me so he can translate.

Quote:
If you want some jaternice, we can make it happen. We make it every winter.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Webb County

Let's take a trip. 1st annual TBH CZECH OUT "ZADNE PIVO JE BEZPECNY!" (NO BEER IS SAFE!) had to call grandma for everything but the pivo part. Only problem is we can't go around callin each other bohemians around there. We might get jumped...

Bily Lovec - White Hunter, spravne?

Last edited by kck; 06-10-2010 at 11:17 AM.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
Bily Lovec
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kck View Post
vítěz
Bily Lovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #21
simek
Ten Point

That made me laugh Kulhanek! Not a bad idea . . . . may have to talk to Middleton and see if we can make it a sanctioned event.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #22
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County

My great grandmother came over with her family when she was young and was completely fluent. My grandfather stills knows quite a bit but has lost some over the years. He tries to teach me but without using it on a regular basis you forget a lot of it. My dad tells stories of my great grandmother fixing kolaches and pull-aparts every Sunday for them when they visited.
hillcountryhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
kck
Ten Point

I think it could be a pretty cool family trip for everyone. Simek, your Dad will be the official TBH traslator! My old man and I have been wanting to go and see our family as I'm sure y'all would like to see yours. This would be the ultimate road trip!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

My mothers maiden name was Trpak and my dad is Patak. My mother who is 80 is still alive as well as her two sisters that speak fluent czech. I take care of her on Friday and she still will talk czech and tell me things in the czech I ask her. Funny you started this thread, yesterday I just made a czech dish (Kobrava Mocka (spelling may be wrong).. it is with potatoes and dill gravy.. i had some fresh dill in the garden and decided to use it.. my grandparents and my mom always then boiled eggs to go with it to make it go further.. break up a few eggs, put the soup over it and grab a few slices of homemade bread.. my mother still makes homemade bread to this day... thanks for starting this thread.. my husband and I need to make the jaternice .... we do everything else in our smokehouse that our czech grandparents taught us.. we even have his grandfather's smokehouse.. he left that to Steve in his will... that was cool...we also still have a czech and polka radio show here in Ellis on every sunday hosted by Johnny Krajca....
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #25
Hoyt Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Let's take a trip. 1st annual TBH CZECH OUT "ZADNE PIVO JE BEZPECNY!" (NO BEER IS SAFE!) had to call grandma for everything but the pivo part. Only problem is we can't go around callin each other bohemians around there. We might get jumped...

I have always been told we are Czech not bohemians
Hoyt Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #26
simek
Ten Point

Regarding Czech music. . . . . growing up in eastern Williamson county, we have a family with the last name of Vrazel. Their kin started a pretty popular polka band . . . .the Vrazel Polka Band. Back in the day, they used to play at a place about a half mile from where my folks live . . .Moravian Hall in Corn Hill. My dad said that when they first started playing it was like when Led Zepelin released their first album in 1969 . . .mass hysteria. Pretty funny stuff . . . .
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

Quote:

Did I hear mention of pivo? Now you're speakin MY language! Dad's side of the family speaks a mixture of German and Czech, but I haven't picked up very much.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
kck
Ten Point

We are, but since bohemians were the trashy gypsies of the Czech culture, it's kinda like any other race using a derogatory term to BS one another.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #29
sacs
Four Point

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksdale Bandit View Post
My mother began life with Czech as her only language. Didn't learn English until she went to school. (dang rich immigrants! )

Can still get some out of Chicago but it's muy expensive.

BTW De me pivo! (And I KNOW I spelled that wrong!) on edit: Dej mi pivo!!!
Yes I want a beer
sacs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
Aggiebow88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas, Arkansas

Heard a bunch growing up. The only way grandma Luchak (Victorin) knew the rosary was in czech. When I was at at young age my mothers parents (Petrash /Macha) spoke english in such a thick accent i thought they did not know english.Parents used to speak. I know a handful of words... Still have tons of relatives in Hungerford, Wallis, East Bernard, Wharton, etc.

i wish I knew more, It is a dying language in the US. At my wedding 2 years ago I played (CD) some Al Grebnic music (czech vocals etc) because I like it and for my aunts and uncles who were in attendance.
Aggiebow88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Wait......Pivos and Czech food...........I'm IN!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #32
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

In our family, it still lives. While my mother doesn't speak it fluently anymore, her sister and most of my Shiner relatives (all age brackets) still can. This is because they are around others that contine to converse or can converse still.

Me - I know a few dirty words!

My relatives too, once had a polka band in Shiner area. Uncle Leon was lead singer and accordion player. Twin brothers played sax and cornet, while another played drums. Only non family member was tuba player and running joke as a kid was that was going to be my job one day. Many fond memories watching them play in Shiner area SPSJT or KC functions

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #33
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

Its a shame us younger generations dont know more czech. When grandparents came to America they were forced to speak English and so it faded away. They were put down if they didnt know English. Why dont we do the same to all these Mexicans and others in America these days? Now we have to cater to them and give them everything and feel sorry for them.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #34
JBS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can find a friendly invitation

My Grandfather spoke fluent Czech.
JBS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #35
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by simek View Post
Regarding Czech music. . . . . growing up in eastern Williamson county, we have a family with the last name of Vrazel. Their kin started a pretty popular polka band . . . .the Vrazel Polka Band. Back in the day, they used to play at a place about a half mile from where my folks live . . .Moravian Hall in Corn Hill. My dad said that when they first started playing it was like when Led Zepelin released their first album in 1969 . . .mass hysteria. Pretty funny stuff . . . .
The Vrazel's were one of the bands I learned to dance to at Vrazel's Ballroom in Danbury.

They played my inlaws wedding and then thier 50th anniversary in 98.
My in-laws made a polka cruise or polka fest anytime the Vrazel's were involved. The band finally retired a couple of years ago.
Clint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
Its a shame us younger generations dont know more czech. When grandparents came to America they were forced to speak English and so it faded away. They were put down if they didnt know English. Why dont we do the same to all these Mexicans and others in America these days? Now we have to cater to them and give them everything and feel sorry for them.
It is a shame that folks were ridiculed for speaking their native tongue. Most ethnic stereotyping/racism stems from ignorance. By the way . . .forgot to mention that I'm also half Mexican.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #37
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I know a Darrell Vrazel, from Shulenberg...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #38
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Glad you started this thread. Since joining TBH I've always detected a strong Czech presence and personally think it's cool. I'm not really sure what my true heritage is (German probably) but am fascinated by the Czech culture. We always make it a point to go to West Fest each year and try to attend the polka festival in Ennis as well. On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #39
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

My parents both spoke Czech at home when they wanted to speak about something at dinner and not have the kids understand what they were saying. My Grandparents were born there, so they spoke it fluently.

The Dentist I see has a dental hygienist who is a US citizen, but immigrated with her husband from Slovakia. She's cute and I have to tell you lying there in the chair, having her cleaning my teeth, with an accent that reminds me of my Grandmothers is a real treat! Her father who still lives in Slovakia is a hunter, and hunts red stag and wolves in the mountains on the northern border.

One last random thought. When I was about 5 years old, I was with my family at a Sokol camp in Connecticut. One of the other Czech Dad's (they were all sitting around drinking beer) said it's a shame how their kids can't speak Czech. I proudly said, "I can".

They reminded me 20 years later as guests at my wedding about it, and how I let out the longest string of Czech vulgarities and insults, obviously learned from my Dad in moments of weakness.

Nazdar!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #40
hawkusmc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere my country needs me

It's kind of a shame that we didn't keep the old languages, it is, after all, part of our individual heritage.
I grew up with Italian grandparents and remember them speaking.
Many years later, I taught myself to speak the language.
Like the saying goes, "use it or lose it." And now my Italian is going the way of my Vietnamese and Japanese which wasn't that great to start with.
Guess we're all to busy these days.
hawkusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #41
Mike Javi Cooper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Glad you started this thread. Since joining TBH I've always detected a strong Czech presence and personally think it's cool. I'm not really sure what my true heritage is (German probably) but am fascinated by the Czech culture. We always make it a point to go to West Fest each year and try to attend the polka festival in Ennis as well. On that note, what other events/festivals are there that celebrate Czech or German themes?
Used to be one in Hallettsville but I can't say if it's still going or not..
Mike Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
bonniemc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kleberg Co. Iowa Kansas

My maiden name is Janik...

Grandmother still speaks it, my Dad understands it, but doesn't speak it...

I remember being in my grandmothers kitchen in Crosby when I was younger while she was cooking and listening to the Czech radio station.

I too wish it would have been passed down!!
bonniemc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I know a few sayings and 50% of those are bad!
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #44
bho0351
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco County, Granger, and wherever invited

I heard it growing up from my grandparent's. Their last name is Zurovec and my grandmother's maiden name is Vinklarek. I loved to be around their siblings and other relatives at family reunion's. Sure wished I would've learned more of the language. I still have relatives living in the Schulenburg, Flatonia, and Cistern areas.
bho0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #45
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho0351 View Post
I heard it growing up from my grandparent's. Their last name is Zurovec and my grandmother's maiden name is Vinklarek. I loved to be around their siblings and other relatives at family reunion's. Sure wished I would've learned more of the language. I still have relatives living in the Schulenburg, Flatonia, and Cistern areas.
I do a lot of fishing with Mark Vinklarek. He is from the big town of Cistern
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #46
bobbyn
Six Point

wish i had a nickle for every beer i had in moravian hall
bobbyn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
Danimal
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Ellis, and Freestone counties

My grandparents on my fathers side all spoke Czech. My father still does a lot of the time. He still lives in Ennis and has a lot of friends in the area that commonly speak Czech as well. I got a new pup about this time last year and he decided that she should speak Czech too. So,, most of her commands are in Czech, with some English and a couple of Spanish words too so I can say she is trilingual.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #48
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Danimal, what is your father's last name.. i live in Ennis..
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #49
Danimal
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Ellis, and Freestone counties

Bill Vavra, lives between Alma and Oak Grove.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #50
DRow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria County

Quote:
Originally Posted by simek View Post
IMO, they were by far the best polka band around, or at least the best that i have ever heard. We used to go see them all the time at the East Bernard Kolache Fest. What a blast! It was really ashame when they retired but man they were good. I might be wrong on this and ill have to check for sure but i think they all lived in Buckholts Texas and still do. I will actuall be up there this weekend for a family reunion. All my mothers side of the family is from there. Our own BubbaBowhunter lives there too!

Jak se Mas!!!!
DRow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top