Any Body Shop guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Body Shop guys?

I need a second opinion. Wife wrecked her car, trying to decide if I want to buy it back.

Most important question to ask is can you do any of the repairs yourself. Remember the insurance company writes low appraisals in the field and some stop when they hit the vehicle total loss point without getting all the damage listed. I know first hand since I wrote estimates for years and ran a body shop for several more after that.

Comment

Sadly I could do them all myself, I just don't have the time or facilities free right now.
      The body shop where i had it towed to, wrote it for the Insurance Company. I don't think an adjuster ever looked at it. Car was not worth much though. It is however a good car if i could get it fixed, just not sure if it's worth it!

Comment

Pm me for parts or advise...

Comment

If it is a preferred insurance company shop (which mine was) we wrote the estimate the way the insurance company would write it if they were to come out which included using aftermarket or used parts. If the damage is mainly cosmetic you won't have much to worry about, however if it ran into things like safety restraint systems and sensors you could be looking at thousands of dollars in unseen, undiagnosed damages. Also consider if you can put it back to pre accident safety conditions, such as checking the frame for damage. Vehicles are designed to absorb a certain amount of damage during a collision without straining the stability of the vehicle itself so if the accident was minor you should have no problems. If you do the repairs yourself just make sure all of the safety system is working correctly in case your wife has another accident she will be just as safe as she was the first time. Good Luck!

Comment

If you have pics of the damage & copy of estimate written post up the pics & email me the estimate, I will help answer your?

Comment

Cathie made some very good points, what kind of car is it? Who is the insurance company? Only asking cause some companies low ball you rite out of the gate.

Comment

From my experience you can fix it...but it will never be the same...personally I walk away when I could...just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Bow_Tech_Body_Man View Post
                  Cathie made some very good points, what kind of car is it? Who is the insurance company? Only asking cause some companies low ball you rite out of the gate.
                  It's a 2003 Dodge Stratus 2 door. With right over 150k miles. Farm Bureau is the ins company. Like Danimal said...the car isn't worth much. But it's worth a ton to me since it's been paid off for years and I'm really comfortable driving it.

BTW...I'm the wife who wrecked the car

Comment

Krissy, Glad to see you came away from the wreck ok. If it is something minor fix it and drive. Hail damage can total a vehicle and it will drive perfect, lol but keep in mind the car you are "comfortable" driving will not be the same car once it is fixed. Every car has a characteristic of its own (even brand new, same make and model vehicles do not drive exactly the same) keep in mind the characteristic of your vehicle will change after the repairs are made. Did you get a copy of the estimate from the body shop or did they seal the file? Ask some of the body men at the shop if they think it is worth retaining the salvage on most of the ones I know were pretty straight forward about it and if it's not worth fixing they would tell you.

Comment

Working...
                    X